back to article Windows is the OS of the cloud, says Microsoft

Redmond has opened its 20th annual TechEd jamboree with a keynote from Microsoft Server and Tools Business president Satya Nadella that pitched Windows to IT managers as the best OS for building clouds. "The cloud operating system is the core capability," he said. "We wanted to make sure that we can do a great job of building …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. henrydddd
    Linux

Windows is the OS of the Cloud

Anything you say dear.

1. Antony Riley
      Coat

Re: Windows is the OS of the Cloud

... in the alternative universe that marketting droids at Microsoft seem to live in.

1. TRT Silver badge
        Holmes

Let's see... a cloud is a floating mass of condensing water vapour, and a Windows OS that is completely painless and a joy to use is vapourware... Yes, I get where they are coming from.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Clouds don't crash very often though

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

with lots of Samba mounts......

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Windows is the OS of the Cloud in Cloud-Cuckoo Land

There, corrected that for them.

1. TRT Silver badge

Clouds also take a leak all over the population.

2. Combat Wombat
    Facepalm

And Windows 8 will be awesome...

Can someone please fire the following departments at Microsoft

Marketing

PR

CEO

They have clearly lost the plot, assuming there was one to begin with

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

In all fairness...

While I think its a bit pre-mature to start talking about their new flagships as "THE OS of the cloud" I do have to admit that MS has done a nice job when it comes to adding "cloud integration" to their existing line of products.

For example: I work with Word, I select that I want to publish my document online and it immediately allows me to access my SkyDrive and put the document wherever I see fit. Another example is when checking up on online templates for Office documents. That too works pretty well.

But you know what they say: "Positive results gained in the past provide no guarantees for the future".

Seeing is believing, and when I think of Metro which is even locked into their server line then I have a hard time believing it to be honest...

1. That's it man, game over man, game over!
      Flame

Re: In all fairness...

How about a slight variation...

"While I think its a bit pre-mature to start talking about their new flagships as "THE OS of the cloud" I do have to admit that MS has done a nice job of leveraging their previous monopolist practices to further tie you in to more M$ products by abusing their position when it comes to adding "cloud integration" to their existing line of products.

An example of this is: I work with M$ Word, I select that I want to publish my document online and it immediately allows me to access my M$ SkyDrive and put the document wherever I see fit. Another example is when checking up on online templates for M$ Office documents. That too works pretty well."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Putting a dollar sign in Microsoft's name is childish.

Didn't your mum tell you that calling names is childish?

1. hplasm
          Devil

The way it's going, soon the spelling will be Micro¢oft.

Happy?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

.. or Microshite.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
              Thumb Down

What!! are you a MicroSheep or a MicroSlave, either that or you have been using MicroSloth Idiot Exploder for far too long or you have been MicroShafted

how about MickeySoft, MicroShaft, Mightgosoft, MicroSnot or MicroSlug

And the funniest of them all "MicroSoft Works"

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

"For example: I work with Word, I select that I want to publish my document online and it immediately allows me to access my SkyDrive and put the document wherever I see fit. "

What , you mean in the same way you've been able to write , sorry I mean "publish" (thats the trendy term for copying stuff across a network these days isn't it?) , to a network drive from the Word save menu for the last 20 years?

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Boffin

In a word

Bollocks

5. Joerg
    FAIL

Microsoft in full desperate mode trying to mimic Apple and failing completely at it...

First the awful MetroUI which is a farce and a disgrace and is going to hurt Microsoft badly that they can't even imagine what they are doing.

Now they are claiming that Windows is the OS of the Cloud...

Please.. Microsoft managers must be in full drugs overdose mode now.. along with the marketing dept.

They are so desperately trying to copy everything Apple did that they can't see that they are doing a huge mess and making the worst possible copy of it anyone could have ever thought of.

Windows7 has been a success because Microsoft to fix Vista mistakes had to resort on hiring back and paying huge amount of money to original VMS programmers/developers that created NT from it.

But now WIndows8 is such a mess that it clearly shows that Microsoft is fully driven by ignorant marketeers and managers that think to be so smart and edgy and cool and being so clever that everyone in the world will be fooled by their lame tactics to sell bad nonsense products just like MetroUI.

Big Fail! Microsoft is sinking faster than light now...

1. dogged
      FAIL

Re: Microsoft in full desperate mode trying to mimic Apple and failing completely at it...

Virtualization? Server OS? Management tools?

"trying to mimic Apple"?

Which planet do you live on? One where they have jagWAHs roaming free?

1. dogged
        FAIL

Re: Microsoft in full desperate mode trying to mimic Apple and failing completely at it...

Still interested in hearing how exactly an article about virtualization, Server OS and system management software leads to a comment about mimicking Apple, of all people.

Apple sell consumer devices.

This is like comparing IBM to Nintendo.

Pet a jagWAH for me, will you?

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

"Still interested in hearing how exactly an article about virtualization, Server OS and system management software"

OS/X is a version of Unix - ie its a server OS out of the box. And ITYF VMware runs on OS/X. System management software? Try an ssh login. The only reason Windows needs 101 different remote management apps is because its command line is such a joke that remote command line login (if it was even supported) is a complete waste of time.

1. Roo
            Stop

"a version of UNIX" does not a server OS make. I would argue that OS/X is designed and tuned to be a Workstation/Desktop OS rather than a server OS (and this is a good thing seeing as OS/X spends the vast majority of it's life deployed on Workstation/Desktop style boxes). I doubt many people would confuse OS/X with Solaris for example (BSD vs SVR4 notwithstanding!). ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

""a version of UNIX" does not a server OS make."

The only difference between a windows desktop and "server" OS is the artificial restrictions on the network stack MS put in the desktop editions so you can't support many concurrent connections and some extra bundled apps that come with the server. The kernels are identical. Unix OS's do not have these restrictions.

Sure, OS/X may not support some specific hardware that some server setups may require, but that doesn't mean it can't be used as a server OS on hardware that it does support.

1. dogged
                WTF?

@boltar - which is why so many server farms are running OSX?

Yeah. Interesting planet you live on.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  WTF?

"@boltar - which is why so many server farms are running OSX?"

Apple don't market it as a server OS. Simple. Marketing is all when it comes to the droids who do the purchasing. FreeBSD isn't used much either but are you going to suggest that isn't a server OS either?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Re: Dogged.

I think the reference to Apple was not how the both offer the same systems (they don't), but that they are both running on "reality distortion fields" at the moment. :D

Not that I agree, just that I think that's what the OP meant. :P

2. Interceptor

Haven't you heard? You can turn Metro off...

...and find yourself looking squarely at an interface you'd thought MS had put away when they retired Windows 3.11

1. Joerg
        FAIL

Windows8 Release Preview removed the option to switch MetroUI off. So, what the heck are you talking about?

Are you a Microsoft employee,perhaps?

3. Fat Northerner

I too thought Metro was awful, until I tried it out for a few days. After you get used to it, and use it the way it was intended, and get the work arounds in**, then you realise that under it all, Windows 8 is screaming fast.

** (Just before anyone at MS thinks I'm complimenting Metro, I'm not. I'm actually complementing it. My work arounds for Metro is to completely remove all the buttons, except for the desktop one, (so I can get back there when I end up on the Metro page by accident,) then write a small winform app, which I've called "Start". It opens a menu page with stuff in I've described in an XML document, and shells them.)

Win 8 really is fast, it's just that Metro promotes the usability of a deaf blind quadroplegic. Try coordinating work between two metro apps at the same time. I'll bet the number of people who could do it, is less than the count of Mother Theresa's lesbian lovers.

Microsoft. What are you doing? Wake up!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

"then you realise that under it all, Windows 8 is screaming fast."

ITYM Windows 8 now runs at a speed a bloat free OS would run at on the same hardware. I can think of a couple of examples...

6. Stu 18
    FAIL

I've seen fresh dog food before.

Such an apt description of what they do at Redmond.

1. hplasm
      Devil

I've seen used dog food before.

Such an apt description of what they do at Redmond.

7. hplasm
    Linux

Windows is the OS of the Cloud

Where 'Cloud' is a subset of 'Fog'.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Trollface

the danger with fog is that if it gets polluted it will turn into MicroSmog

8. Stephen Channell
    Happy

Best OS for the cloud

If MS can provide something that is as flexible, reliable, scaleable, manageable, adaptable, open and cheap as any of the alternatives then hay why not?

Windows HPC is a case-in-point: they bundle a bunch of tools and slash per-server licence to compete, overtake Sun in the TOP-500 ranking.. and don’t get to antsy if the WinHPC cluster is actually running Hadoop or DataSynapse.

Are they on some “Parallel Universe trip”? not really, the bulk of Enterprise Servers run Windows and the next hardware refresh of physical servers will see Hyper-V replacing some VMWare ‘cus its cheaper.. add-in simper integrated security for hybrid private/public cloud and all-of-a-sudden the “IT-Managers” (that were the target for the pitch) start seeing a cheaper way to get Disaster-Recovery.

If MS want to slash cost to win.. well let them!.. just make sure it’s a big slash..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bonkers, even for Microsoft Cheerleaders!

I think MS have just entered the "completely deranged" phase (this is the phase companies go into before moving on to the "completely irrelevant" phase).

Windows, is the OS of the cloud?

Is anyone aware of the farce that is the MS-virtual-desktop-as-a-service: http://360is.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/microsoft-virtual-desktop-licensing.html

Any claims that MS make for superior hypervisor technology lack credibility. I work with Citrix, VMware, and MS, and put Hyper-Free a solid 3rd. Good luck with the benchmarketing.

AG

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. McBeese
    WTF?

Seriously?

Microsoft really needs to look into some personnel refresh actions because it would seem that those who work there today are a little too detached from reality.

12. BorkedAgain
    Stop

Aha ha ha ha...

No, stop. Too funny...

13. P. Lee
    Paris Hilton

If windows is the OS of the cloud

That would make Microsoft the Wizard of OS?

Bad Toto, leave the curtain alone! Oops, too late!

14. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Actually I agree with them

It's now the OS from cloud cuckoo land.

(never liked it anyway - even when it still had one foot almost on the ground)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blame the Labrador

Strong cloud, hints of dog food?

16. Ru
    WTF?

Licensing costs do not scale nicely

Even if MS made the most amazing super powerful, fast, easy to use and effective OS for cloudy type deployments (am I old fashioned in that I still think 'grid' was a perfectly acceptable term?) it wouldn't be any use because their licensing systems were created back in the netbios client/server era.

I've worked with a company that ran a system using a significant number of both linux and windows based virtual servers in a 'cloudy' sort of way. When they came to scale the whole thing up by an order of magnitude they discovered it was cheaper to rewrite all of the windows-side code to run under linux than it was to pay the licensing fees. Maybe MS were expecting Azure to fix that particular issue; if so, it doesn't seem to have accomplished very much just yet.

17. Interceptor
    FAIL

"Then Feel Free to Float Right Off My Desktop, Say Users"

Thanks for all the fun, hope Valve does all their releases for MacOS and doesn't mind my Hackintosh...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are right: Windows *IS* the OS of the Cloud

It actually has been for years.

It starts as vapourware to disturb the sales cycle of the competition

It is delivered late, clouds never follow a schedule

It has been unsafe for years: every cloud leaks eventually

It is only perfect in marketing: those fuzzy edges are crap to manage technically, but managers love the fact they cannot be pinned down on their total lack of knowledge.

Many talk about it in weather context, but few have actual knowledge

So, yes, in terms of vapour I must agree: Windows is Cloudware, and they are clearly ahead in that context.

I would like to use the joke icon, but (a) I can't and (b) it is unfortunately all too real.

19. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

Windows is the OS of the cloud, says Microsoft

Bwahaha haha ha ha.

best laugh of the week.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows is the operating system of the cloud

Windows is the operating system of the wet day.

Does this remind anyone else of all that crap from a few decades ago about everything being part of the browser. Microsoft's browser.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh...

The same tedious, tired responses, I remember when you could actually discuss something here and the comments weren't the sort of reason I stopped commenting on slashdot. Seriously people, quit with the groupthink, please.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like