back to article Twitter bird reborn to the sound of whalesong

Just when we all thought the interwebs had put the worst excesses of trendy Strategy Boutiques behind them, Twitter has proved there are still some who prefer to do their rebrandings to the sound of whalesong while sitting in the lotus position and enveloped in a thick joss-stick fug. The new Twitter logo. Pic: Twitter Doug …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Right, that's it

Lawyers have now been dropped to second on my list, Bowman is now first.

2. EddieD

It's odd

The more new-age hippy bullshit I see/read/hear, the less I feel peace and love, the more I think that involuntary euthanasia should be legalised, or if that's too draconian, we should reintroduce the scold's bridle.

After reading that bullcrap, I'm even more in need of beer o'clock to roll up than on most Fridays.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's odd

New Age, yes; hippy, definitely not. We do drugs, not marketing....

3. Huntsman
    Mushroom

I wonder

I wonder if these people talk bollocks like this at home?

1. dotdavid
      Thumb Up

Re: I wonder

"Would you make us a cup of tea?"

"I'd be delighted to. The cup of tea represents the warmth of our family relationships, the battered but highly-functional mug showing the down-to-earth nature of our love and the fundamental synergies between our desire for a hot beverage and the state of the..."

"Forget it, I'll make one myself."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: I wonder

Share and enjoy!

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

How does this work?

"...There’s no longer a need for text, bubbled typefaces, or a lowercase 't' to represent Twitter."

I guess that one of those "Optional hardware updates" that I see on Windows Update must be the "Twitter bird" key for my keyboard then?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

*bang*

Anyone up for a remake of duckhunt with the new logo?

1. JetSetJim
      Thumb Up

Re: *bang*

Like it - lone rifleman overlooking a crowd of twits. As they tweet, the logo appears above them and you have to shoot the logo down (no doubt there will be an accidental "Hot Coffee" mod that changes the rules to target the twits themselves, giving bonuses for headshots and/or shooting their twitDevice of choice out of their hands, or both).

6. Z-Eden
    Mushroom

For some reason, reading that drivel makes me rage and I feel a massive compulsion to put my fist through the monitor

7. Andy 36
    Trollface

Its Batman

Check out some observations of the new Twatter logo http://mashable.com/2012/06/07/new-twitter-bird-batman/

1. Chris Phillips

Re: Its Batman

Maybe, but equally the new twitter-is-batman logo is a blackbird with a comb over. Much cooler!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its Batman

Time for this follow up.

8. vilemeister

And this is why I haven't, and will never got or will get a twitter account. I can spew my worthless thoughts on Facebook already, and do other stuff too. And its longer than 140 characters!

1. The First Dave
      Boffin

@vilemeister

Any post that claims "Facebook is better than ..." is always going to get downvoted by me.

By the way, how is the new logo different to the old one? I can't see much change myself, think we need a side-by-side comparison.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Nice logo, shame about the sleeve notes.

Leaving aside the nonsense that always accompanies these things, the new logo is much better drawn than the previous one.

The truth was probably more like: "your old logo loses definition at small sizes, and when you enlarge it, it became obvious that some of the curves were out, and that pale blue might be okay on screen, but it's sickly on a four-colour process, and that funky type treatment might be okay for Latin scripts, but it's already old-looking, and it'll never work for Devanagari or Chinese".

That said, the truth won't justify hundreds of thousand dollars in agency fees...

11. Reg. Blank

So, the bird is the word

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird

B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word

A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word

A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word

[etc.]

[repeat to fade]

[Surfin' Bird/The Trashmen/ca. 1963]

1. Mike VandeVelde
  12. Bob Vistakin
    Unhappy

Only twats tweet

That is all.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Only twats tweet

Sadly true... https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23birdhuntingrifle

13. LinkOfHyrule
    Coat

The Vulture is the Register and the Register is the Vulture. It's composed of 69 overlapping rounded-rectangles - the very embodiment of Zen like simplicity and it represents a connection between people, a network if you will, that our readers are a part of. It's all about bringing peace and love to the masses through the medium of news

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

42 shades of blue?

This is the same Doug who left Google, after complaining about A/B testing of colour shades...

15. mittfh
    Facepalm

Overlapping circles?

Surely that's what Google+ is all about?!

I wonder how much they paid the design agency... "Oh, and we'll have another $10m for the research involved in selecting the precise shade of blue" (i.e. we played around with colours to find one that wasn't too light, wasn't too dark, and wasn't too similar to The Zuck's network)

16. JayB
    WTF?

How many circles?

I may not be a bloody mathematician but as far as I can tell there is a f*** of a lot more than 3 overlapping circles in that image.

So aside from being a cetacean blaring loonie, he's also a moron who can't count????? And people wonder why I think the Human Race (tm) is doomed.

Is it wrong to wish a cessation of circular cetacean creations?

1. VinceH

Re: How many circles?

To be fair, the quote is actually "three sets of overlapping circles" rather than "three overlapping circles". What defines a set in this case, and how many circles is in one, is anyone's guess. (Mine is that by "three sets..." he really meant there were three different sizes used. It looks to me as though a number of circles at three different sizes could be used to create the logo.

17. John A Blackley

Another Friday

A man announces a revamped logo for his company in terms that reference harmony and synergy.

Sad, beer-addicted, piss-on-the-birthday-cake Reg commentards spew bile.

Hey-ho, just another Friday.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agencies ...

... have to justify their logo design process somehow.

I reckon he's just a bullshit merchant - the logo took 1 hour to reconstruct and the fact that a large sum of money was being paid for rebrand, it was time to crank the BS up to 11.

"Bullshit Baffles" - thing is, on a fairly regular basis, I'm on the receiving end of this in monthly design team meetings - the coding geeks join in this exercise of justification of why a specific colour was picked.

"It brings out the harmony between the client and the customer, conjuring up images of wealth and happiness"

.. erm, no, it's the colour blue and it just looks pretty good with that typeface.

19. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Put it this way

It's transformer alter-ego is Batman not Lisa Simpson giving a blowjob. That has to be worth a few k.

20. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

D. Bowman, aka Star Child

Pity his name's Doug, not Dave, as that would make the association with the protagonist of 2001: A Space Odyssey that much better. Still, the jokes pretty much write themselves. "I'm sorry, Doug - I can't do that."

Or (to the tune of "Bicycle Built for Two"): "Dougie, Dougie, give us a logo, do. We're so crazy, all for the love of blue. We see that you've not been napping - your circles are overlapping! - and so we'll tweet about the neat bird logo designed by you!" (N.B. Singing should get lower and slower as verse progresses and Bowman rips out bits of hardware crucial to higher functions.)

Or - what is it Bowman says when the monolith opens - "Oh my god - it's full of arse!" Something like that, anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like