back to article Yahoo! CEO! didn't! even! read! his! own! CV!

Yahoo! CEO Scott Thompson has said that the fuss over his CV and the computer science degree that never was is totally not his fault - because he never gave the web firm his résumé or told them what qualifications he had. Thompson is in hot water over a discrepancy in SEC-filed paperwork that stated he held a computing degree …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey
    Windows

Well! That's! Settled! Then!

I can't see anyone having the slightest problem with this. I suggest we all move along and let this fine gentleman get on with running Yahoo!

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Well! That's! Settled! Then!

Does not say much for his accounting skills, much less his CEO skills, if he does not read important documents.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As we used to say to suspected porkies when I were a lad.

Chinny Reckon!

Whilst stroking a pretend beard & pointy chin in a Jimmy Hill like manner.

1. NoOnions
      Happy

Re: As we used to say to suspected porkies when I were a lad.

It was 'beardy reckon' at my school - lol! Happy days!

1. Chris 3
        Headmaster

"Jimmy Hill" at mine

1. VinceH

"Itchy chin" hereabouts.

3. newtonslife
    Coffee/keyboard

Totally Honest

Lets all face it, we all have a totally honest CV don't we, that's why we are all in such highly paid jobs, with such amazing pay packages ( Doh)

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Totally Honest

Well, actually, yes and yes. And it's why.

1. naylorjs
        WTF?

My CV is totally honest and it makes life a lot easier at interviews. However one agency I dealt with in Belgium changed my CV (adding length of experience, some minor new skills) without my knowledge and I was presented with the new version in the car on the way to the interview. Looking back I should have dished the dirt on the agent at the interview, but I wanted the contract. It turned out alright, and the contract didn't call upon my new skills (ahem).

2. VinceH

You get paid?

2. AdamWill

I do.

4. squilookle
    Stop

Would it wash if they found one of their employees had an incorrect CV, and they said "I didn't bother to read it, and then when I was aware people had got the wrong idea, I didn't bother to correct them because it would be a bit awkward"?

I don't think so. It's about time the behaviour and pay of the folks holding jobs on this level were more closely regulated, cause they're getting paid ridiculous sums and getting away with things that would ensure the rest of us could never find another job again. It's getting out of hand.

On a side note, I wonder if correcting the interviewer would have been more awkward than all this?

5. Blofeld's Cat
    Happy

Inaccurate CV...

Sounds like a typical agency edited CV.

They always miss a bit of my CV out when they send it to clients. The bit at the beginning which says:

"All the events and people in this document are imaginary. Any resemblance to real events or actual people (living, dead or shortly to make the transition), is purely coincidental."

6. ByeLaw101
    Meh

If I had a CV with falsehoods like Scott Thompsons and my employer found out... I would get sacked.

7. Jason Hindle

Well.....

Having had an agency interpret "some exposure to Oracle" (meaning I fiddle about with customers' databases in sqlplus from time to time) as Oracle DBA in their own version of my CV, I can see how this can happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well.....

Are you implying he tried to turn on a computer back in 1990s? I'm sure that's how one can mistake him as a computer scientist yes.

1. Jason Hindle

Re: Well.....

No, just that agencies are perfectly capable of pulling a fast one if you're not paying attention. As to the Yahoo in question, I wouldn't care to comment as to his fitness to run a multinational corporation.

8. ExpFist

Lets be honest...

Who gives a $#!+?

He's the CEO of Yahoo. I doubt a degree in computer science would make a different in how he runs a company, period. Degrees today help land a job, and in a lot of cases, don't even help do that anymore because a lot of people with comp sci degrees are horrible in computer science.

1. IglooDude

Re: Lets be honest...

Let's be even more honest - the degree isn't as significant as the lack of of commitment to honesty and accuracy.

1. Blofeld's Cat
        Facepalm

"the lack of of commitment to honesty and accuracy"

If only he had chosen a career in Marketing...

2. mraak
      Thumb Up

Yes, let's be *HONEST*

(about our CV's)

3. FlatEarther
      Thumb Down

So the details of a degree may not be relevant, to him, or to any of us. I once did a Cobol course. Never used it.

However, a degree demonstrates a relevant grounding in analysis and reasoning, general background in the methods and issues of the discipline concerned, understanding of the common techniques as well as proof of experience and length of time in the industry.

I guess none of this matters for today's CEO.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<< It's claimed that Thompson has suggested to his staff that the person who originally interviewed him might have been at a junior level. >>

It is foolish to suggest that a junior person is charged with interviewing a future CEO of a multi-billion dollar company.

<< And the Yahoo! chief added that when he was asked about his degree in computer science during a chat with National Public Radio in the US, he didn't simply correct them because that would have been a bit awkward. >>

Yeah, right.

At the time he was working for Paypal, and for some odd reason he never got around to correcting this error - not even when moving on to Yahoo! - thus perpetuating the fraud. At best this was a lie by omission. At worst, as suggested by the National Public Radio interviewer, this was a plain, shameless lie.

However good he may be in his job, the guy must be fired with cause.

10. disgruntled yank

sounds like a case

for a Paypal indulgence....

11. Esskay
    Meh

Hmmm...

Didn't read his own CV? Or just found he could get away with it? The truly scary thing is how reluctant and blasé the rest of the Yahoo board have been through the whole episode - Yahoo! stocks going through the floor suddenly makes quite a lot of sense.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"How many times do I have to say that I am not a liar, just an idiot?"

This is just comic at this point. According to Thompson, someone gave him a degree he did not have 12 years ago. He not only did not read his resume before it was submitted to Paypal, he was apparently never able to read any of the dozens of other bios published about him in the mean time or ever listen to his introduction when he was speaking at any conference. ATD has a recording of a reporter point blank telling him that he has degrees in accounting and computer science. Not only does he not correct her, he goes on to discuss how his "engineering" background has helped him. It is beyond absurd.

13. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Just to clear things up, Mr. Thompson

We're not saying it's your fault. Not at all. We're just saying it's your RESPONSIBILITY.

Responsibility is what makes your pseudo-excuses even more lame than they already are. And the fact that someone apparently needs to explain this to you is what makes me believe that you are indeed not fit to run any company, even if it's naught but a bunch a Yahoos.

But don't worry, Mr. Thompson, you're not alone. There are plenty of CEOs like yourself who blame others and say "not my fault !" as soon as something goes wrong while pocketing plenty of dollars in "compensation" for the "heavy responsibilities" of their position.

Actually, it's the CEO who has the balls to step up to the plate and say "my bad, sorry for that, here's my resignation if you wish" who should be applauded for the proper interpretation of the word "responsibility". I'd even cut him some slack - once. And frankly, I find very surprising that there are so few CEOs who have taken this step, when - from what I've heard - they're all trying to position themselves as the unique swan in a sea of ducks.

But hey, what do I know ? I only have what I've actually done on my CV, so I'm clearly not CEO material.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any jobs?

I have a PHD in whatever you're looking for, a 600 grade point average in every subject conceived by mankind and I once invented the concept that your company is based on.

If you would like to tender an offer for directorship I will be happy to have someone review it for me.

Dictated, not read.

Lord Synjin Bottomly-Smythe (mrs)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perfectly plausible

Agency ("executive placement firm") made up his CV because they thought it would get him through the door. In all likelihood he never even saw it.

Anybody actually thinking that the above is unlikely either needs a bit more exposure to job hunting in the IT industry or just needs to get off their high horse.

16. Mark432
    WTF?

What a wideboy! I can't believe this guy ran even one company. Let alone 2 of the biggest in IT!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like