back to article Boy wrecks £22k worth of MacBooks by weeing on them

An 11-year-old boy has been charged with vandalism after relieving himself on a cartful of Apple MacBooks at school, causing $36,000 (£22,170) worth of damage. The computers, the property of Upper Allen Elementary School in Pennsylvania, were destroyed beyond repair, local publication PennLive reports. Manneken pis wears …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Tunnah

HA!

I laughed far too hard at that last bit...

But as a thought how many of us have gotten none-powered electronics wet only to let them dry off and they be working fine afterwards ?

1. Benny

Re: HA!

Indeed, I got to work this morning and promptly poured coffee all over my phone - quick dash for paper towels and its all better.

2. phear46

Re: HA!

I had a Nokia 3210 back in the day, it went through a 40c cycle and still worked after, it didn't vibrate any more but worked fine otherwise.

Dont think my One X would stand up to a similar punishment, don't make em like they used to.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Moisture sensors

I am told that Mac have internal moisture sensors that "go off" when dampened and are used by their service people to deny warranty claims. It may be that a kid with a good aim didn't actually destroy the Macs, just dampened them enough to void their warranties. Although to describe them therefore as being "destroyed beyond repair" may just be a ploy to get the insurance (or the child's parents) to pay out.

1. Aaron Em

Re: Moisture sensors

They do -- iPhones also have them, inside the headphone jack, and they're used for the same reason.

Even without them, though, I think I'd rather claim for replacement than repair -- who wants to use a laptop that reeks of piss?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: who wants to use a laptop that reeks of piss?

I'm sure we'll find out when MS release Win 8.

2. Usually Right or Wrong
      Pint

Just one tiny drop of rain on my iPhone is enough to invalidate the warranty, so scale that up to a few large drops on a Mac and the kid could probable wee a Apple store full of them into oblivion.

Just imagine how many an El Reg reader could wee off after a Friday feed of beer.

1. Thomas 4
        Pint

Seems a little implausible

£22,000 worth of Macbooks. Now, being educationally minded, these probably aren't Macbook Pros but one of the older, pre-Air sorts. Now, assuming the school cough about £1k per laptop, factoring in bulk buying and less taxes, etc, it's 22 Macbooks.

In an adult, it can contain about 300ml, according to wikipedia or in another word's a Coke can's worth. In a child it's probably about the size of a Capri Sun.

I'm just trying to work out he would have arranged the Macbooks in order to ensure they all get soaked to bust the warranties. If he put them all in a huge stack, i.e. 22 ontop of each other, would he have been able to fire up to reach the ones on the top?

But then if he laid them out on the floor in a 4x5 grid arrangement, would there be enough surface area to cover them all....?

1. Eddy Ito
          Thumb Up

Re: Seems a little implausible

Exactly right but this was Pennsylvania so with the educational discount even a MacBook Air is under $1k so even if they were of the Air variety we'd be talking 36 of them maybe even 40+ in bulk. Either way it was probably enough for entire classroom. Of course why they hand out laptops to the kiddies is beyond me. Perhaps they've never heard of thin clients or even a Mac Mini.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I speak from experience--a 12 oz can is much smaller than a human bladder. I have overflowed a 16 oz bottle in an emergency

3. Mad Hacker
          Pint

A 300ml bladder? I can speak from experience in an emergency my bladder holds more than 32 ounces (946ml.) That 32oz Taco Bell cup couldn't hold everything I had.

2. AdamWill

These comments seem to carry the implication only Apple products have moisture sensors - that's not at all true. All cellphones have them, and all cellphone companies refuse warranty repair if the moisture sensor is triggered.

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> Although to describe them therefore as being "destroyed beyond repair" may just be a ploy to get the insurance (or the child's parents) to pay out.

Well if you were to bring them back to Apple for repair, they would indeed be declared "damaged beyond repair", and out of warranty too, even if they were working perfectly well. Having 22 grands worth of kit that the manufacturer (sorry, rebrander) will absolutely refuse to service no matter what the cause of the (future) defect is probably a risk that the school is not willing to take. Can't blame them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Moisture sensors - 'rebrander'

'rebrand' - under what brand were these products previously released for sale?

What you mean in this context is 'brander', but 'designer' and 'financier' would have done as well.

4. John Bailey

If they were school property, would they not be under a service contract of some kind, instead of a warranty? In which case, if it's a write off, it is because it is so badly damaged that it is impossible to fix, not a voided warranty.

3. MJI Silver badge

Now I know how old AC is

So this AC is 11 years old and lives in Pennsylvania

http://forums.reghardware.com/post/1393083

1. Neil Greatorex

Re: Now I know how old AC is

I'm astounded that nobody has mentioned that:

Police charged the (eleven [11] year old) boy with institutional vandalism and criminal mischief and are turning him over to the Cumberland County Juvenile Probation Department.

Eleven, yes 11, year old boy pushed through the septic justice (sic) system. FFS!

Really FFFingS!?

1. Bumpy Cat
        WTF?

Re: Now I know how old AC is

That's nothing - there are plenty of cases in the US of children under the age of ten being arrested for what is really just bad behaviour.

Even worse! In some parts of the US, breaking the school dress code or behaviour policy is a criminal offence. Kids go to court - and jail - for dressing wrong.

2. Toastan Buttar
        Unhappy

Death by Electric Chair?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney

4. Z-Eden
    Trollface

Of course, some macbooks were 'mistakenly' diagnosed beyond repair. These have now been carefully disposed of by kind individuals...

5. smudge
    Joke

In his defence...

...he said he was just implementing the WEEE Directive.

1. Rusty 1
      Facepalm

Re: In his defence...

There's an app for that: iPeeFreely.

6. philbo
    Joke

Who'd have thought..

..a Mac would need a raincoat.

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Coat

Re: Who'd have thought..

Ribbed for your iPleasure?

1. phear46

Re: Who'd have thought..

To quote Ron burgundy, 'that doesn't make sense'

..... At least in the context of this article. Also.... It's not funny.

7. ukgnome

Piss? Sounds like a load of shit!

A while back my clients had a small fire that resulted in the fire service spraying gallons of water over 12 identical computers. When they had finished there liberal wetting I aquirred the sodden computers. It was all above board with the insurance company....(sort of)

Out of the 12 rather high spec units 11 of them lived on, The 1 that refused did however have a working drive and memory.

*apologies for my title

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Piss? Sounds like a load of shit!

Urine isn't just water - I believe the urea will break down into ammonia when exposed to air which, apart from the smell, may be very damaging to circuit boards (it dissolves copper very efficiently for example). Very small amounts of the wrong kind of fluid can be catastrophic to electronics.

1. Miek

"Very small amounts of the wrong kind of fluid can be catastrophic to electronics."

The best spillage event I ever dealt with was the Cola Keyboard. A young lady brought a laptop to me that she had spilled cola (lots of) into the keyboard area. I asked what she did next (turn off? etc) she said she carried on using it until the keyboard got to sticky and crunchy at which point she poured water into the keyboard to fix the crunchiness. Whilst pouring water into the keyboard solved the crunchy key dilemma it completely killed the laptop. Britain's brightest and all that!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Many a mixing desk in a radio station has had its life ended by people tipping Coca Cola onto it. Gets into the holes on the faders and corrodes the circuits as the jocks are too frightened to report it. They just mop up the spill and hope for the best.

Although the prize has to go to the mixing desk at a radio station which had some failing faders. When the engineer took it apart he found the fader tracks gummed up with a suspicious looking white powder.......

2. John 78
          Alert

How about german white wine spilt during a christmas party, it had actualy dissolved the copper tracks by the time we came back in the new year !!!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I spilled a large glass of white wine into my dell laptop keyboard, I tipped it out again and mopped up what i could with kitchen towels. Aside from a sticky backspace key, it's perfectly fine. All the backlighting still works too.

I think it depends on how watertight your keyboard underlay is, and how quickly you get it out again. I thought macbooks were supposed to be quite good in that regard.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

The first thing to do, after a spill, is to whip the battery out, pronto. Oh, wait...

This lad should be made to wee on some kit with capacitors in... educational, like.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Urine is much more conductive than water. If any of these laptops had a viable battery pack and the urine got inside they are pretty much dead. The only thing to save kit in this case is to wash it ASAP with lots of deionized water and let it dry.

However, there is just no way a minor can relieve himself successfully over 20+ laptops. Granted there is an obesity pandemic, but someone with "capacity" that BIG. Give me a break. Someone is seriously taking the piss here. Literally.

1. Why Not?
        Gimp

Gin & tonic is worse, it eats away the wiring, fast.

Had to laugh when one user came in, the night before his wife handed him his 6 month old son while she went to get a Nappy excited by getting a cuddle from Daddy while he worked his Son showed his pleasure by washing the keyboard.

Being an engineer he got a new laptop keyboard to fit himself and an accelerated replacement was organised. Out there someone has a second hand laptop with a Wee problem (laptops are disposed under WEE directive to licensed contractor, we forgot to mention the accident).

two stacks of 11 very easy to wee over by an 11 year old boy, remember playing fire hose at the urinals?

They are a bio hazard they have to write them off.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Since we're comparing spills...

This one is NOT for the weak of stomach.

After a particularly heavy Friday night sesh many years ago, involving Buckfast, rum and whiskey, I had a somewhat unfortunate "passing out and vomiting profusely" moment. My mate's Amiga A500 was right there at the epicenter of the mess.

It ended up being immersed in water to wash the crud out, and dried for several days. The keyboard never worked again, but everything else was operable. We even used it to do graphics for a game we were working on a few years later.

8. Cazzo Enorme

A couple of years ago, our flat was broken into, and the scrotes tipped a desktop PC onto its front and poured water into it. They probably did this because they thought it might be recording them via the connected webcam. Despite being switched off. After an overnight drying out, the machine worked fine.

Skip forward to two weeks ago, and the wife poured hot tea into her laptop. I left it upside down for a few hours (the laptop that is) and it also worked fine.

Both machines were Dells - freebies from work when we upgraded. Surely if they can survive a thorough drenching, so should a Macbook?

1. Dave Perry

I've found second hand Dells to be reliable machines. Put a few in a place that didn't want to buy new ones and they're still running on (albeit with a slight RAM upgrade)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

liquids - the one big Mac killer

Of the Mac laptop hardware failures that I'm aware of, 3 were coffee-keyboard interface problems and the last one was a duff hard drive. PC laptops, even cheap ones, seems to be a lot more resistant to spillages - though we do have users who are capable of killing anything via a generous application of food products.

1. Tapeador
        Thumb Up

Re: liquids - the one big Mac killer

Interesting point re resistance of various laptops to fluids: I spilled a bunch of water on my relatively new Toshiba, and it turned out the (no longer typing properly) keyboard was a sealed component, itself with what seemed a de facto seal around its edges, which more or less prevented any water seeping further into the machine. I replaced the keyboard unit at a cost of £10, and the whole getup works just fine.

1. Neil Greatorex

Stupid question

but how many pints/litres in a "Bunch" of water?

i could of just ignored there sloppiness but im loosing the will to live

1. Samurai Tony
            Stop

Re: Stupid question

...but how many pints/litres in a "Bunch" of water?

i could of just ignored there sloppiness but im loosing the will to live...

*sigh*

...I...

...could HAVE...

... their...

...losing...

1. Neil Greatorex

Whoosh!

2. TheRealRoland
            Devil

They're, They're... Setlle down.... It'll be all over, soon.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: liquids - the one big Mac killer

My Dell has what look like water run-offs at the bottom of the keyboard - but I don't know where they drain to! It was advertised as being spill proof, but I haven't tested it yet!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Harsh punishment

£22k of Macs is worth about £5k.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I place the blame at the teachers

I think the teachers are to blame for this for not teaching the students what biometric logins are and how none currently work on urine. This and people going around saying "Apple tack the piss" realy don't help the young minds of today learn about computers.

11. toadwarrior

Sounds like some employees want free macbooks. Wee won't kill them. I have a mac keyboard that was cleaned in a dish washer and it still works.

1. Neil Greatorex

I regularly

Put my wireless keyboard in the dishwasher, batteries removed obviously. Once the cycle is complete; shake vigorously and place in airing cupboard, leave overnight +a working day; job's a good un! Sparkly keyboard -cat hair -beer -coffee -spittle (from the occasional FotW entry) &c.

Having previously worked in a hot desk environment using crufty, crusty, shitty, disgusting & hairy keyboards, I can say it's a pity their dishwasher was only used for crockery.

12. Jean-Luc
    Happy

kiddo might have been a Reg reader...

considering the how polarized the readership here is about Macs, maybe this kid lurks amongst our very forums. I shudder at the thought and indeed feel my bladder loosening...

Aside from that this article was most entertaining on a dreary Monday morning. Though I confess "Badum tish" was too much for my English-as-a-second-language understanding.

1. Gordon 10

Badum tish

The written version of a cymbal being hit to indicate the punchline of a joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cymbals go "badum"?

I think there's a couple of drum hits in there too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_(percussion)

2. PaulR79
      Happy

Re: kiddo might have been a Reg reader...

It's also known as a rimshot and this very handy site will perhaps give you an "Ahh!" moment.

http://instantrimshot.com/

1. CD001

Re: kiddo might have been a Reg reader...

so, so, so, so, soooooooooooo NOT going to a site called that from a work machine!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A whole new meaning to "Piss on it"...

While I can understand everyone pissing on a Mac, I expect the yoof just needed to unload and wasn't brand conscious of the Macs.

14. TWB

Drying out does not always work...

My wife spilled hot tea onto my Macbook a couple of years ago and it instantly died. I tried for several days to carefully dry it out but it would not boot. I did eventually revive it but it required a a strip down and clean (it was dry inside by this point). It also needed a new battery and wifi card.

1. Jediben

Re: Drying out does not always work...

Does she take sugar?

15. g e
    Coat

Hahaha!

They must be soooo pissed on off.

Well someone had to.

Coat got.

16. JDX Gold badge

That photo is so racist! Insinuating black children are more likely to wee on iProducts that white kids!

1. I think so I am?
      Facepalm

yep, a bronze statue is a much more likely suspect.

17. Jonathan 10

£22 K?

Thats a lot of wee....

Was it real life recreation of Austin Powers 3 sketch?

As previously asked...just how much wee does the average 11 year old's bladder hold? Sounds like this could be a new form of reg measurement...

1. Kernel

Re: £22 K?

Having early this morning had the opportunity to observe at first hand exactly how much wee a 7 week old kitten can contain, I have every confidence that an 11 year old child could quite easily contain enough to destroy an entire container load of laptops if he so desired.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: £22 K?

I can tell you from my personal experience in raising a now-three-year-old boy that even a toddler can emit enough urine to saturate ENIAC top to bottom.

It's quite remarkable, really.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had a post-pub toilet malfunction that resulted in a pissy laptop.

It never worked again. It probably would have if it wasn't on and with a psu connected at the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I had a post-pub toilet malfunction that resulted in a pissy laptop.

Does your floppy still work?

1. Jean Le PHARMACIEN
        Thumb Up

Re: I had a post-pub toilet malfunction that resulted in a pissy laptop.

pffffttt

Sir, you owe me a keyboard; cup of strong continental roast coffee and/or dishwasher tablets (but then I'll have to take keyboard home..)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More to the point, what the hell elementary school has random carts full of $40k of macbooks just lying around? Back in my day (ahem) we were lucky to have a room's worth of Apple IIs, and we liked... well, no, we didn't, but that's beside the point.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come again?

makes a change from the usual liquid fanbois squirt over new Macs I suppose...

21. Vic

Beyond repair?

I'll offer them £50 for the lot.

I'll bet I can repair some...

Vic.

22. andreas koch
    Holmes

Of course they were a write-off

Under current health and safety laws no half way sane headteacher could ever authorise the use of a laptop (whatever the make) that has, or has potentially, been peed on. Just imagine headlines like 'teaching assistant forced to use contaminated hardware now psychologically unable to work with IT equipment and demands $3.8 million in damages' or 'I wasn't told that my children were touching [insert racial derogative of choice]-urine in this school, mum complains, sues council/ town/ board of education'.

The write-off is perfectly understandable, the insurance will pay; and with a bit of luck (and some IPA flushing) you can get a cheap, usable MacBook off ebay.

23. disgruntled yank

Eh?

PennLive says "damaged beyond repair"; isn't "destroyed beyond repair" redundant?

24. James O'Brien
    Joke

how could this have been missed?

That's taking the piss...

Baadum tish

25. TAHarris

My sister-in-laws Acer laptop survived a Jack Russell relieving itself on it, we'll she said it was the dog but knowing her kids I would not be shocked if it was the youngest one of them. The local computer shop charged her £50 to clean it. There was no way I was doing it.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barry Pisspeas?

Shitpeas' American cousin?

27. rbryanh

I predict a great future in politics.

28. Christoph

Was there a warning message?

It being the US, they can hardly complain about the kid's actions unless there was a large warning message saying "Do not urinate on this computer"

29. Alan Brown Silver badge

Jack Russells

My mother's thinkpad survived similar treatment from her Briard.

Dismantle, drop in bucket of water, etc.

The keyboard actually worked better afterwards.

30. Stuart Duel
    WTF?

When you've gotta go,...

…you've gotta go.

31. Tapeador
    Coat

Aaaaahh

Piss on ya!

32. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

IBM AT Keyboard

Wasn't it the original IBM AT keyboard that would happily go through the dishwasher if you accidentally "soiled" it.

33. Mephistro

Some advice

If you ever put a keyboard into a dishwasher, make sure that:

- You use a 'cold' program. Most keyboards today have some kind of 'membrane' made of silicon or plastic that could be damaged by hot water.

- You don't use dishwasher's 'salts', as they could corrode the metallic parts -springs, ...- of the keyboard.

- Make sure to let it dry completely before using it. It'll dry faster if you disassemble it first.

I learned this the hard way. :-(

34. Nick Kew

Oh dear

Apple quality must've taken a turn for the worse since a friend fell in the (saltwater) harbour in Amsterdam while carrying his macbook, and got it back to working after carefully drying it out.

35. skwdenyer

Re 'cart' I suspect this might be one of those custom-made 'charging carts' designed for educational establishments. That would mean that every single Mac was powered in some way, creating some problems.

In tema of 'trauma', anybody working in a school and claiming to be traumatised by child urine seriously needs firing for the good of humanity.

36. BlindWanderer
    Alien

Aliens

The USA truly is a melting pot, taking in and welcoming all creeds and races. I would have never guessed that in PA of all places there would be an integrated colony of xenomorphs (Aliens from Alien franchise). How else can you explain piss that can destroy 30 laptops? I think they would have mentioned that it shorted out the batteries, causing them to catch fire, the fire then spreading to and burning through the entire stack... but that sort of detail would have made it into the news report.

So what you do is take them apart, carefully rinse them and put them back together (after you let them air dry).

37. Eric Hood

Schools tend to buy a power cart that can hold and charge 20 or so laptops at a time, I suspect the units were in one of these.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's wrong?

The boys was only weeing where someone had left a pile of shit anyway.

39. DF118

$22k

What's that? About 2.5 macbooks?

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Steve Ballmer is a boy?

That is all.

41. gisabsr
    FAIL

Dissapointed

I am dissapointed that there have been no Withnail and I references made to date.

42. The obvious
    Flame

Were they on fire?

Not that most of us would piss on them if they were...

43. localzuk Silver badge

Liability issue

It isn't just about the warranty or whether the devices physically work any more - it is a liability issue.

You 'clean' the laptops and put them back in use, and then a child gets a shock from one for some random reason. The school would not be able to show due diligence with the devices, and as such would be very open to a civil case against them.

Not to mention not many kids would want to work with laptops that were known to have been peed on.

44. Leeroy

Negligence

You can't place all the blame on the kid, why did the school leave 20k worth of laptops lying around ?

Not locking stuff up creates theives.

They should have at least been in a secure storage / charging area. I am just shocked that they did not get stolen.

45. HelenaHandcart

My Macbook accidentally came into contact with a small amount of water. After drying out it appeared to work OK when plugged into the mains except for the charging indicator. The Mac repair shop said that the motherboard showed signs of corrosion and needed to be replaced (at enormous cost). This was confirmed by the insurance company who said that it was not worth repairing. It was a basic model about 6 years old and the replacement value was deemed to be £999 (cost of a similar model at Currys). I was shocked and the insurers said that unlike most consumer electronics, Apple products do not fall in price; they improve in specification. Two things I have learned:a) Macbooks are very susceptible to liquid damage b) if you are going to go Mac then you need good insurance.

1. I think so I am?

I have an exception in my insurance where Apple laptops have a £250 excess compared to £50 and Iphones have a £50 excess instead of £10.

I hate to say it but Apple products have incredible residual value. What phone can you buy for £500 and sell it 2 years later for £250.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Aw, give the brat a break. He was only expressing himself and his opinion of Apple...

Ahem.

I'll get me coat ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like