back to article Valve responds to Half-Life 3 grumbles

Valve has responded to demand for Half-Life 3 information, claiming to have its games more "baked" before any announcements are made. Head honcho Gabe Newell admitted Valve is aware of how much it annoys fans with the turnaround time of some games, Penny-Arcade reports. "It's pretty frustrating to us when we put them into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lockwood

Episode 3 before HL 3, plox.

We all know why it's delayed though: Enough people have called Gabe fat that Valve'll have to fix the Y10K problem first.

1. Greebo
      Joke

@Lockwood

Last time I checked, the "Gabe's so fat..." jokes had pushed the release date past the heat death of the universe

1. Lockwood
        Thumb Up

Re: @Lockwood

Touché

2. Inachu
        WTF?

Re: @Lockwood

My theory is they are waiting out when a certain programmer leaves so they can be all willy nilly with the code and sell it to the highest bidder. So now inter office politics are taking place and people who go against the programming team and stick up the ideologies of the consumer will often get fired. But I am sure the whole dept is fat and needs 6 more months of a health spa before they get back to writing code. Management needs to abduct them into a jail cell type of frat house to get the stuff out the door sooner.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

As any fan who waited 12 years for Duke Nukem Forever knows; the longer you make someone wait the more negatively it will be received.

It will never be perfect, so publish the darned thing and fix any mistakes in the next iteration.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

DNF was negatively received because it was utter garbage.

2. Fibbles
      FAIL

"the longer you make someone wait the more negatively it will be received"

Seriously?

Did you ever play HL2 or TF2? How many years did we wait for those again?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't win..

The longer people wait, the more they expect. Even fantastic titles like GT5 can be destroyed by expectations. Look at the reviews for that in particular, not a single one focuses on the physics, the graphics or really anything else about the game, usually just gripes about how long it took to arrive (conveniently forgetting of course, that all previous full Gran Turismo titles arrived mid-gen).

4. Robinson

Naaaa.

That's only true if the company and/or publisher has spent the last 24 months release information about it, screen-shots and bullshitting their behinds off. If Valve have been silent, then there's really no expectation to disappoint.

5. JC 2
    Mushroom

None

I have no expectations and don't want to buy a game then wait for it to be patched enough to be playable. Ignore the squeaky wheels always whining for something more to complete their lives.

6. Smallbrainfield
    Facepalm

Why not just say

we're not working on it and can everybody just shut up. That way if you are you could spring it on us and then everyone would be happy? Even if it's not very good?

Come on Gabe, Half Life fans are going to start dying of old age soon. Throw us a fricken bone, here.

7. alexh2o
    Go

It's fine!

I have decided that Valve is doing the following...

-Developing a next gen game engine, "Source^2", with the XB720 and PS4 in mind.

-Developing Half Life 2: Episode 3 based on the new engine.

-Developing Half Life 3 based on the new engine.

-Porting all of Half Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Half Life 2, HL2: Episode 1 and HL2: Episode 2 over to the new engine with relevant updates.

-Releasing the entire updated collection as a super pack game release, like Orange Box, but only Half Life... perhaps called "The Combined Box" ;)

Therefore, I am willing to wait patiently until all my dreams are answered!

1. Silverburn

Re: It's fine!

..and dreaming you certainly are...

2. Captain Scarlet
      Thumb Down

NO!

Not another port of Half Life, modders such as Sven Co-op always have to deal with "Why doesn't Sven Co-op work on Half Life: Source". This is simple because it was designed for GoldSource not Source, but anyone who doesn't understand and can't be bothered to RTFM its just a newer version of the original Half Life to them.

3. CD001

Re: It's fine!

Hmmm.. doesn't need the 'd' - just "The Combine Box" - chuck in a OpFor style add-on where you get to play as a member of the Combine just for shits and giggles and, despite owning all the previous HL games to date, I'd still buy the damned thing! :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long can it take

Anyone bitching about how long a video game can take, and bringing up bad Duke Nukem Forever analogies should look to Blizzard. Blizzard always slip, always take far too long on getting a game out, and the fans lap it up. At the end of the day, if the game is good enough, people will buy it. Problems arise when a game is overhyped and fails to live up to standards.

Even though waiting for the next installment of starcraft 2, and diablo 3 is driving me out of my mind, I understand the general silence from Blizzard (and from Valve as well over HL3). It means the hype is controlled to an extend where it is hard to be overhyped. It also means you aren't releasing to deadline and slipping quality in order to do so. The reality is that for a game to become a huge best seller it has to be very very good. Gameplay, graphics, story, the lot. Even something as apparently simple as Angry Birds had addictive gameplay, the graphics were very appealing, and the humourous concept gave the story.

1. Daniel B.
      Go

Re: How long can it take

Oh so very true. I remember all the talk about StarCraft 2 being canned because of WoW being more profitable. Yet we remained loyal, waiting for Blizzard to churn it out. Before DNF, Diablo 2 had a long dev cycle, so long that some people were betting on which would come out: Linux Kernel 2.4.x or Diablo 2.

It's annoying, but it's good when it finally comes out. Unlike DNF.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long can it take

There is a big difference between not publishing a deadline and not having one at all.

I gave up waiting for DNF back around 2002/3 when they started saying "it would be ready when it's done". As a software developer myself I know that without a deadline you can always improve, tweak, adjust, enhance,.... and simply meddle with software forever. Which is apparently what happened with DNF; resulting in 1997 style game play with a modern engine, resulting in a game as tedious DOOM 3.

Having a hard deadline makes the developers focus and stops them constantly trying out new and often irrelevant mods. Of course having a deadline does not mean you meet it, but it does at least put a stop to anything other than bug fixing and testing prior to a release.

1. Daniel B.

DNF

"Which is apparently what happened with DNF; resulting in 1997 style game play with a modern engine, resulting in a game as tedious DOOM 3."

Nope, I actually found it dull because it *wasn't* 1997-style gameplay. It was more Halo-style gameplay, with linear levels, a lame 2 gun carrying limit (Halo's inheritance) surrounded by a nice-looking but nigh explorable world.

I actually found Doom 3 fun, though that one was similar to Half-Life...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In a universe far far away

it was once said that "hay, guys, we know your pissed off about the wait for half life 2, so what we're going to do is release smaller installments, i dunno, lets call them episodes, that way you'll wait less time and we can milk even more money out of it.........

10. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Devil

for anyone annoyed by valve

I post the essential guide to how valve time their games

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

11. Inachu
    Thumb Up

I was let doiwn a lil with HL2

The preview videos for HL2 with the part of killing those super tall walking stick robots.

That video was so super cool!

But then when it came time to kill one it felt lacking and sped along no time to relish in the kill.

Then after killing the tall freak 3-4 legged robot the second one I think just walks away unable to kill it. GRRR!!!!!!! Some things were obvious to do and others made you stop for 45 minutes or an hour to look around to find what you missed but then you save game and come back after a few days to relax your carpel tunnel syndrome hands then totally forget what you were doing so you start 2 levels back or so to get back in the groove of things. Not enough sniper shooting.and not enough ramps to do tricks and such. But overall I did love HL2. I am tempted to reisntall it and forget WOW for a while.

1. Ian Yates
      Joke

Re: I was let doiwn a lil with HL2

Why do I feel we've stumbled in to a private conversation?...

12. Bush_rat
    Angel

Finally!

An Answer! :O

I only recently got the Half Life series off steam and to hit that nail biting cliff hanger with no mention of a sequel gave me 2 and a bit strokes. I, like many people, am really pissed off that its taken this long to say yes or no on the whole thing, but the last 6 installments in the series were so good, I am willing to forget my anger if this one will uphold the awesomeness of the series.

Besides, another year can't hurt, right?

P.S OMG Valve CAN count to 3!!!

1. CD001

Re: Finally!

It's a cascade caused by the fact that when they released part 3 of the Portal 2 OST they suddenly thought.. "three, three... I'm sure there's a couple of other things with 3 in the title we're supposed to be working on... "

After all, it IS the magic number.

13. M Gale

Maybe a month or so after release...

...when I can get the version that doesn't require a Steam account or activation for a single player game.

14. RoboJ1M
    Facepalm

Christ, can people not read?

They were complaining about Valve's lack of communication, not the fact that it's taking so long.

Even Valve appear to have missed the point.

15. The Original Ash
    Thumb Down

Yawn

Half Life 2 is 8 years old, Episode 2 is 4 years. I barely remember what the story is about anymore.

I might read the synopsis on Wikipedia when it's released, or pick it up at 75% off in a Steam sale, but AFAIC Half Life is a dead franchise.

1. Bush_rat
      WTF?

Are you Mental?

I'm sorry, but what rock that crushed your sense of joy and laughter have you been living under? Half-Life is STILL one of the best FPS you can get. Sure the graphics look a bit dated, but not by much, but the physics engine, story and puzzles are infinitely better than anything you can get today. Call of Duty and Battlefield have declared "I'm better!' "no Im better" war, and consequently, snuffed out all 'real' competition. On rare occasion a beacon of individuality appears and disappears.

Half-Life is and always will be an awesome game! just look at GMod, Portal, Left4Dead and Team Fortress 2, they are all perfect examples of games that probably never would've existed without Half-Life and its engine. and they are all completely different games that all have attracted completely different crowds of gamers.

So Half-Life is dead huh?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like