back to article Foursquare ousted? Google sneaks out Latitude leader boards

Over the weekend Google has tweaked its location-sharing Latitude product to enable checking in, following the trend which has failed to make money for Foursquare or Facebook. The feature was rolled out with uncharacteristic humility from the Chocolate Factory, and slipped into an over-the-weekend update. It offers nothing in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cynical Observer
    Thumb Down

Dear world at large

"I am not at home right now - in fact I'm at the other end of the country. This would be an opportune moment for you to go and check out where I live. DO you like the electronic goods that are on display - they are yours for the taking."

Still don't see the attraction to telling people that you are not at home.

1. Code Monkey
      Facepalm

Re: Dear world at large

"I have just unlocked the telling the burglars I'm not in badge on 4square"

2. markoer
      FAIL

Re: Dear world at large

Of course they will correctly assume you live alone and no one else is there, correct?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Re: Dear world at large

> Of course they will correctly assume you live alone and no one else is there, correct?

Let's see. What fraction of the Foursquare user base lives alone?

I'm betting it's high enough to make this information useful to criminals.

And regardless of the "I'm not home" side channel, Foursquare is clearly pretty handy for stalkers or anyone with a grudge against the user.

Though frankly I've never bothered with it (despite occasional urging from friends and relatives) not for the security implications but because I find it rather inane. *I* rarely care where I am; why should anyone else?

Kids, lawn, &c.

2. Mark Randall 1

Latitude has had check-ins for ages. All they've done is added pointless points for using it. Only reason I can see to use it, is that it gives friends trying to find me a more accurate location when I'm inside.

1. Craigness

Re:

That one stumped me too - Latitude *is* check-ins. I'd feel like an idiot if I told the world where I was, expecting anyone to care. Being the king of the idiots is no more of an incentive.

1. ratfox
        Trollface

Re: Re:

It can be useful when you have friends...

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Re: Re:

> It can be useful when you have friends...

You mean the sort of friends that are close enough that I'll hope they'll come to wherever I am, or that I'll be inclined to track down and join; but not close enough for me to converse directly with and make plans to socialize?

I don't need that sort of friend. I have real friends, and I have strangers.

3. Patrick O'Reilly

Dodge this!

"Foursquare more or less invented the concept of checking into locations"

Foursquare didn't invent the concept, Dodgeball did which was subsequently bought by Google in 2005 and became Latitude, while the Dodgeball founders left and setup Foursquare.

4. DuncanL

"the low-profile launch"

and even lower profile death in the next round of Google product culls when it fails to gain any users and\or make any money.

5. Andrew Jones 2

The more sensible of us - don't check in at home. That way - the burglars don't actually know where we live - sure they might know that we aren't AT home, but as they don't know where home is - it doesn't matter. Meanwhile on Facebook I often see people checking in to "bed" with a full address :/

1. markoer
      Coat

On Foursquare, checking into "bed" is forbidden (although it is not enforced). Your home location is not shared in a way that it can be identified.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Facepalm

4square fun

One of the ditzy blonde types posted her apartment as a public place. She also posted a picture of herself in a rather abbreviated top. Then she complained that "creepy strange guys" were checking into her apartment.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like