Bug: Browser goes into loop

This topic was created by Chris Mellor 1 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Mellor 1

Browser gores into loop

In "Welcome To The Latest Forum Features" I clicked withdraw on a topic - "Line Endings" - which I had created in that forum, was presented with a withdraw screen and, when I clicked "Back to the forum" the browser flashed and redrew the screen again and again. When I closed it down and restarted it and re-entered this form the topic was still there but couldn't be replied to.
    1. Vic

> the browser flashed and redrew the screen again and again

I get something similar when I click the "in reply to" link.

It makes using the "newest" ordering rather tricky - especially when people don't quote any of the post they're referring to...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What browser / version / OS are you using?

1. Vic

> What browser / version / OS are you using?

Currently Firefox 3.6.24 on Fedora 14, also running Flashblock[1].

The problem is something to do with the Javascript that replaces the banner at the top with a big Flash advert. That's the bit that oscillates.

Vic.

[1] I always used to allow Flash on sites like ElReg, because I understand you need to run ads like that to keep the revenue lowing in. But then it got *so* intrusive, it had to go...

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Since there was alreay a topic about this, I'm posting here.

I've just got the same behaviour. I went to the fanboi topic and posted about my experience with ostrich (don't ask!)

Before posting, I sorted by most recent article first, if that makes any difference, and once I'd posted, I got the dreaded loop.

Running XP-Pro, and IE8. It doesn't have any plugins for blocking adverts or whatnot, and it doesn't have flash either.

1. Vic

> I sorted by most recent article first

That's the boy.

I just got a loop clicking the "in reply to" link whilst in "newest" sort order.

Copying that link, switching to "threaded" mode, then pasting the link into the address bar got me what I wanted.

It's a bug...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re:

Thanks for the catch - have forwarded to bugmeister Murray

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
                  Coat

You're welcome; we are all doing this to help.

Now what extra super-power or level does this open up for us? We need rewards Maw haw haw haw

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Re:

What rewards do you suggest? Money is of course out of the question ...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.