back to article Nokia partners with EA in major WinPho game push

CES 2012 Week With the reveal of Nokia's Lumia 900 out the way, the Finnish phone giant turned its attention toward a new partnership with EA which will see over 25 popular games made available for Nokia handsets. The full list of titles has yet to be revealed, but as you can see in the video below from EA Mobile's YouTube …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Go

Have they got "Extortion Deluxe - mobile edition"?

Its great. The aim is to rid yourself of a growing pile of unsold mobile phones in Redmond, whilst at the same time extorting $5 per handset from the ones in the league above your own. No skill is needed, but it is against the clock as pretty soon everyone will have rumbled your game and even your traditional base will be eaten away by the vengeful army you dumped on in the previous game.

1. foo_bar_baz
      Mushroom

@Bob Vistakin

Please, you've already shown your colours. You realize we can see your message history, right?

It was so predictable you'd be trolling this thread, as you have every other Nokia / Win Mobile news item, with your probably-paid-for "views". As such we know exactly how much value to assign to your spewage.

Where's the squelch option?

1. Bob Vistakin
        FAIL

How about "Shoot the messenger - mobile edition?". Another classic. You dodge the great elephant in the room, picking away at everything but the actual target. Extra bonus rewarded when you complete a round by dodging all those deadly issues coming your way.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Foo_bar_baz

I think that Bob is Steve Balmer/Barry Shitpeas new ID, one seems to fade out while the other takes up the slack. I wonder if they were Mark as well?

2. Phoenix50
    Stop

You know, I could go on and on about how wrong you are, and how much I disagree with your opinion on Windows Phone and Microsoft in general.

But it's a Friday, and I can't be arsed.

"You don't know what you're talking about you stupid troll".

That'll do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know - the WP7 have been flying off the self!

Any product that has been out for so long and has only managed to move down to single digit market share can only be called a total failure - no matter what the reason.

I know just wait till (wait for WP7, Wait for the next upgrade, wait for the Nokia phone, wait for the ____).

This is not the 90's where MS can use illegal bundling (sorry - they plead guilty) or stick the "Windows" tag on something and have everyone buy it.

A very unscientific but still telling story. I am in Best Buy (picking up Android and IPhones) and I ask the sales guy how the WP7 is selling. His reply there have sold a few, this is with lines of people waiting to buy Android and IPhones.

If you have any other word other than failure on how WP7 has been doing I have some great stock I would love to sell you,

1. Richard Plinston

> I ask the sales guy how the WP7 is selling

He will be waiting for the 'incentives' that MS have talked about before he starts selling them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not sure how the $15 is going to help

I am not an expert on how sales staff earn their commissions (at Best Buy I think it is based on total sales with commissions split evenly to the staff), but I would think a sales person would earn more by selling a $300+ IPhone or $200+ Android then a sub $100 Windows phone (and I suspect soon it will be free, or even they will give you money if you take one!) even with the $15 kick back. At least in the US.

And when I was at Best Buy the staff was not selling anything, they where backed up just trying to process the orders. The customers had already picked out their phones.

The truth is MS missed this year's holiday session. I suspect most people who were going to buy a phone in the next few months just did.

The WP7 may be part of a family, but it is very dysfunctional family. Kind of reminds me of the Charles Manson family.

3. Wang N Staines

So I have to buy these games again?

Will to flog my iOS devices ... LOL.

4. Jim Coleman
    Thumb Up

Smokin'!

Excellent, all we need now is bluetooth xbox controller support and some decent FPS lovin'.

5. Mike Judge
    Stop

I'm sure

The 10 genuine windows flop phone owners will be overjoyed by this news

1. Paul Shirley

last to the party again

...meanwhile I'm already playing some of those games on my Android phone ;)

I wonder if this sets a precedent, WP7 always last to get the game, after iOS and Android? Maybe even after J2ME and Symbian releases...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MeeGo-Harmattan N9

I'm playing those games already on my N9... lol.

Yeah, these games will be the saviour of WP7 alright. Not.

2. Tzael

Old joke - new twist

This joke's getting a bit old now, and for added twist I'm getting used to hearing WinPho7 ringtones and SMS jingles on the bus and train daily so the joke doesn't even ring true.

Great, you've got me making puns now. Are you satisfied?

1. Paul Shirley

@Tzael - really?

...'cause I've yet to see one in the wild. Or hear it. Or hear anyone talk about it in the real world.

Come to think of it, I've yet to see one on display in a shop. Presumably they've got them in CPW and some of the carriers shops, ready for the next 24monthly upgrade cycle. But all those other places like Dixons, Tesco's etc. that might build some brand awareness outside the upgrade grind - no actual phones, even when they have the promo boards.

Before bribing floor staff Microsoft and Nokia need to shove some bungs at the buyers. Hard to collect a bounty on something your boss declined to stock. Or to demo games ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Tzael: You hear the WP7 ringtone all the time

because you and Jim Coleman are conjoined twins.

1. Jim Coleman
            Flame

@AC: I can see why you posted that anonymously.

2. Tzael
          Happy

@Paul Shirley

Yeah really! I was even spun out the other week during an advanced BDD course I was attending. Out of 16 attendees, 4 of us had Windows Phone 7 devices, and surprisingly none of the developers on the course were employees of companies affiliated with Microsoft (most of us are working on embedded code, medical devices, etc, not solutions dependent upon Microsoft technology).

Imagine that, a training course attended by low level programmers who prefer the good ol' days of Unix and CLIs where 25% of the participants have a Windows Phone 7 device - I rest my case.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Tzael

And how many of you got it for free as a Nokia developer gift? Don't forget Nokia gave at least 25 000. I just wonder how many of those who got them are now working on porting android or meego to them...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@AC 06:22

As a developer I received a free Lumia 800 from Nokia, I also have a Nokia N950.

After a couple of days testing the Lumia 800 went into a drawer, and the N950 continues to be my daily and development device.

At least it now gives me the opportunity to have an informed opinion about the merits of the two platforms.

WP7 sux, and MeeGo-Harmattan was the best system Nokia ever produced.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@AC 00:00

My opinion exactly - I've been trying to like the thing ever since I got it from Nokia, but the OS is too bad to be true. It is fast - but it does almost nothing. No decent bluetooth, no mass storage, no expansion, a dearth of decent apps (wonder if the US$100/year for the "privilege" of developing for WP7 have anything to do with it) with most well inferior to the android equivalents, 0 flexibility - no folders, no virtual screens, no way to arrange my apps except a stupid alphabetic list or the limited widgets, no tv out, no fm transmitter, no xenon flash, nothing of what made previous Nokia's bearable.

I still have to understand how anyone can praise this or any other WP7 phone; I can only understand if one has just wasted €500 on the thing and doesn't want to assume he's been swindled, of if one is paid to do so (be it cash or in invitations to nice events).

3. Jim Coleman
      Thumb Down

@Mike Judge: It looks like you're saying there are ten users of WP7...no sign of a "Joke" icon....so presumably you actually mean it.......so you're prepared to back up your figure with, well, evidence, right?

No? Thought not. You were just trolling. Yeah m'k.

6. Jemma

just too easy...

EA/MS - Its in desperation...

Seriously MS - flogging a dead horse is not a miracle cure.

Android patent trollery $15

second rate processor $75

Watching MS begging on its knees ... Priceless

For everything else theres Belle...

7. Dan 55 Silver badge

Buy it all again

What's the betting that if you've already bought these games on Ovi you'll have to buy them again if you get a Nokia WP7 phone?

Nokia couldn't even be bothered to move games from n-Gage accounts to Ovi accounts, so the chances of them moving them from Ovi to the Windows Phone Store (or whatever it's called) are about nil.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

"What's the betting that if you've already bought these games on Ovi you'll have to buy them again if you get a Nokia WP7 phone?"

If true, this will only be a problem for you and the rest of your team at Nokia. Perhaps you could try to claim on expenses?

2. Shaun 1

I have Mirrors Edge on the XBOX360

Will I have to buy it again on WP7?

Of course I will, just the same as with games on any other platform

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

We're talking about Nokia's shop, not XBox Live

If I stick with the same manufacturer, I expect my account to be accessible on all their products and the same software to continue to be accessible if it's available. If you buy an XBox 720 in the future, so would you.

See getting the Mac versions of games on Steam after buying the Windows version for an example of how it's done right.

However Nokia couldn't even bother to transfer games in people's n-Gage accounts to the Ovi equivalents on the same Symbian OS. This is an example of how it's done wrong.

That is all.

8. ZillaOfManilla

Xbox Live

how much does it cost to have an Xbox live account? I'm not a gamer but thought there was some sort of fee to have access to the service?

1. dogged

nothing

The basic XBox Live account is free, it's basically a hotmail login. Many games require a Gold membership (which, iirc, is about 35-40UKP/year) to play multiplayer though.

1. Shaun 1

Basic account is free

Which will let you earn achievements, chat to friends etc.

Gold account costs about £40* a year, I think, which gives you online play and 1 week exclusive access to demos etc on 360

*I tend to get them on eBay for £25-30

2. Recaf

XBox live is free

Silver is free, Gold is around £30/year (needed for network play)

9. The Original Steve

Hatred

Don't understand the hatred of WP7. Great UI, ticks most of the functionality boxes and a reasonable price point. Lumia 800 hardware is quite nice (better than HTC Android or WP devices).

I'm very happy with mine, integration with my Xbox is nice and haven't come across an app I want but can't fine...

What's with the haters?

10. Jim Coleman
    Meh

Wooooo!

Some people seem remarkably angry about this news item......Given that just about any right-thinking individual values competition and choice above vitriol, it makes me wonder how many right-thinking folks there are out there!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like