back to article Tablets to outship regular notebooks by 2016

Intel may be hoping that 40 per cent of the notebooks that ship in 2012 will be Ultrabooks, but independent research suggests the chip giant will have to wait until 2015. Forecasts from market watcher iSuppli made public by Samsung puts 2012's Ultrabook tally at just 12 per cent of notebook shipments. Mind you, that still …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh so now they're "tablets" are they?

Don't El Reg officially call them fondleslabs? Is this a new policy?

2. Gordon 10
    WTF?

Me. Arse.

If this reflects anything like reality in 2015 I will eat this post.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Your digestive system is safe

Any who claims to be able to make five year quantitative predictions is a charlatan.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Stop

False dichotomy

With things like the Asus Transformer already blurring the distinction between slate and notebook confusion, it's difficult to see that there will be any difference by 2015 with everything being pretty much dual mode and extensible by accessory. With next year's quad-core ARMs getting close to desktop performance and Android "Knickerbocker Glory"* spanning phones, pads and keyboards, Intel and Microsoft are both going to have to come up with something special to stay in the game.

* No idea what code name the next version of Android will have, if it has one at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Next Android

It's called Android Jelly bean

(seriously!)

4. Blubster
    Meh

@:It's called Android Jelly bean

Hopefully the one after that will be called KitKat ... I like KitKats. Hmmmm KitKats....

5. Martin Lyne

Organic eye-squid interfaces to outsell snargleblahs by 2101!

New form factors *will appear*. Prepare to have wasted your time predicting nonsense.

6. ratfox
    WTF?

Ultra... book...?

What is this new species?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like