back to article Yahoo! and! Sony! tuck! into! interactive! multimedia! ads!

This week could go down as the dawn of the interactive multimedia advert era, as both Yahoo and Sony make very different plays in the field. Yahoo launched an advertising platform called "Living Ads" aimed at tablets, which combines print, online and TV type advertising on a single page, kicking off with a campaign for launch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Will I?

Will I be able to block this crap using NoScript, or am I going to need a new gadget to do that?

2. ratfox
    Unhappy

Paying people to watch ads

Somehow, this feels wrong in all kinds of way...

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Someone somewhere must watch them and buy something?

Adverts don't really work for me. I typically know what I want and I would rather listen to reviews than some marketing person.

Paying people to watch them is nothing new, there were all sorts of advert subsidised PC deals a few years ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Paying?

How is it any different than TV? People are 'paid' for (theoretically) watching ads by getting to see (supposedly) interesting fare on the tube. Tech changes but the message remains the same: "See the pretty sparklies? You want?".

Personally I won't have those infernal tube thingies in the house. I know, I know, computers, but at least THEY enable me to have a good job in a location of my choice. Besides, who is FORCED to view sites with those new franken-ads? Plenty of other nodes out there, people.

3. Anomalous Cowturd
    Flame

Do! Not! Want! More! Bloody! Adverts!

'Nuff! Said! ?

4. Wile E. Veteran
    Mushroom

Makes me SO glad...

I abandoned my psuedonymous Facebook account, never play those stupid games and have no intention of owning a full tablet (although I am getting the low-end Nook e-reader for Christmas).

Nevertheless, electronic media (including the Wibbly Wobbly Web) will not be satisfied until all one can look at is advertising. There are already print magazines containing no content whatsoever, just advertising and, sadly, they are doing quite well. Makes me want to just go hide somewhere in the woods with no radio, no television and no internet connection. Big stack of dead-tree books, though.

NO MORE ADS! NO MORE ADS! NO MORE ADS!

5. James O'Shea

Won't work

I usually watch TV using my own, personal, TV... and a set of headphones. Said TV is hooked to a DVR. This way I can watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it, and can do so without disturbing anyone else. I fast forward past ads whenever possible. And when it's not possible, I take the headphones off and put them back on only when the show I'm interested in comes back. I have another headset attached to my main computer at home; again, this reduces the noise level, and again, where I can't block an ad (AdBlock doesn't work with some things CNN's videos sometimes come with in-line ads which can't be skipped and can't be fast-forwarded but which can be ignored) I need merely remove the headset. After making note of whatever it was that was being advertised, of course, so that I may be sure to not buy anything from that vendor.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh very dear

So,Yahoo; not content with eavesdropping on mail sent to me by your users and, presumably, my replies; not content with packaging your bloody toolbar as a totally irrelevant "extra" in other people's softeare and not content with taking every opportunity to hijack my search engine preference.

You are now going to foist more bloody animated adverts on pages I'm trying to read.

Tell me: what part of "fuck off" do you nasty malware peddling morons have trouble comprehending?

7. Arctic fox
    Alert

For crying out loud!

Enough with the exclamation marks already, they're making my eyeballs bleed. That joke is now not merely old but senile.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like