back to article Asda 'geekend' offers are for the birds

Asda is opening the doors to its bargain basement grotto this weekend with supposedly cut-price deals on internet access devices and mobile data tariffs. As El Reg recently revealed, the low-cost supermarket chain is trying to drag shoppers into the internet world, claiming its customer base is probably PC-illiterate. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The shame!

I sometimes go to Asda. Better give up the network engineering and take up something more...basic :-)

2. Arctic fox
    Mushroom

"The eye-watering deals – possibly for all the wrong reasons"

*Possibly* for all the wrong reasons" - hello?

3. banjomike
    Stop

T Mobile is flogging this for free ...

... er, with a 'deal' which costs £367.44 in total.

4. 4.1.3_U1

So what

Why should we even care about Asda's failings as a retailer? All that matters is whether the marketing strategy sells more of their stuff.

I can choose not to buy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who shops where?

Geeks might shop at Asda.

More extreme geeks will be scouring the hardware bargain tables at Lidl.

The Great unwashed Microsoft masses: Tesco, I suppose.

Waitrose for Mac Users?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ill tel ya

Shuffling grandmas with their trolleys will still buy £24.99 USb cables, if M&S stocks them. Guaranteed. And they will coo over it till they kick the bucket.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Asda - A less whan wonderful shopping experience

My local ASDA is generally ranked lower than Tesco as a place to shop.

Full of Chavs and Squaddies plus you have to pay to park.

Even Lidl and Aldi are better places to shop.

Paris because even she knows that there are better places to shop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chavs are the exact reason I leave Asda well alone too. But squaddies? They're serving our country, so I'd tend to have a little more respect for them than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So ever drank in a bar frequented by squaddies? Not the most civilised people in the world. I'm sure there are some decent smart people in the army, but too many of them are the kind of knuckle draggers who can only find work as, basically, hired thugs. Not sure where all this must-show-automatic-respect for our "heros" attitude came from. Sure they're doing a dirty job I wouldn't want to do but then again, so are binmen.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've been referring to our local Asda as "Chav Central" for a while, now!

7. LarsG

APPARENTLY....

they sell everything now.

Next weeks special offer,

A Matching Pair of Grandparents!

8. Wyrdness

Far more importantly, Asda's Whitechapel Porter (brewed by Shepherd Neame) is currently on offer at £1.29 a bottle. Given that the cost of living has risen to around £4 a pint (at least in London pubs), that's a more compelling reason for paying a visit than, say, a 20 quid DAB radio.

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

This is more like it! You've got your priorities straight.

2. Arrrggghh-otron

Mmmm... Porter

I was recently mulling over the lack of Porter in pubs and for sale in general - will be picking up a few bottles of this for Xmas!

Cheers!

3. Arrrggghh-otron
      Pint

Quality beverage

I picked up a bottle to taste - one of the most pleasant Porters I have tasted! Now to stock up for Xmas!

Cheers!

9. Ian Ferguson

Blu-ray

Well, I might pick up that blu-ray player, as it's the first one I've heard of with a reasonable price.

People saying they wouldn't be seen dead in Asda - you're not their target market.

I'm sure these will all sell like hotcakes, not because they're competitively priced for the technically literate bargain seeker, but because they'll be marketed cleverly.

10. Old Tom
    WTF?

Do they deliver trans-Atlantic?

"Asda ... is a subsidiary of Walmart, the American monster retailer"

You just can't buy a monster over here for love nor money.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't knock it

Have been to Asda several times and seen some great laptop deals, but you have to check carefully because sometimes they are just okay value and sometimes they are really really cheap.

E.g Dell M5040 for GBP 279:

http://direct.asda.com/Dell-Inspiron-M5040-Laptop---15.6ins---3GB-Ram---320GB-Hard-Drive/000514120,default,pd.html

Great gift.

1. Gareth.
      Go

Hard Drive Prices

They also haven't increased their hard drive prices, unlike almost other retailers I've checked. They sell an external 1TB drive for about sixty quid. Looking on ebuyer I'd have to pay that price, if not more, for an internal 1TB drive at the moment thanks to the pesky floods in Thailand.

12. Pooka

I shop at Asda....

but only 'cus I won't buy lunch in the office canteen, and there's nowhere else to sodding go!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Wyrdness

>£4 a pint (at least in London pubs)

Hehehe

Now you start to understand why some of us choose not to waste our lives in the centre of the universe (as those who live there believe).

I have just spent a pleasant few hours with friends down at my local watering hole drinking Samuel Smiths Bitter which costs £1.66 a pint. Oh how we laughed :)

1. Joe 3

Sam Smiths in London

There are plenty of Sam Smiths pubs in London charging their lovely low prices for their fine products, it seems Wyrdness doesn't know where to look!

Perhaps they're a secret, full of Northern exiles like myself, I hope I haven't said too much...

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Asda - Walmart

But is there a "people of asda" website?

As in: www.peopleofwalmart.com/

15. gavpowell

"the ONN Blu-Ray player is sold for £40"

"canny shoppers can pick up a shiny Panasonic-branded device for £30 more"

So it's not a bargain, because you can go out and buy a better one for almost twice as much?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Steve Davies 3

agree with the dig at you about squaddies - they are serving us, so leave off.

Regarding the physical shopping experience ... well that what online shopping is for - youc an enjoy the prices, without needing to rub shoulders with the shellsuit brigade.

17. Stretch
    FAIL

"In Store".

Not "instore"

Not "in-store"

Two words. In. Store.

18. stu 4
    Thumb Up

good value imho

I bought 4 of those t-mobile rapports for family at xmas. They are now only 49 quid. come with 2gb card. bloody great wee things - google maps (gps), wifi, etc, etc. Absolutely ideal to get the parents into mobile internet. really responsive, fast for surfing. plays angry burds. what more do you want for 50 squid

This topic is closed for new posts.