back to article Westpac unchiefs the information officer

In a move that will send a thousand chills running down a thousand spines, the Australian bank Westpac has sent the janitor down the hall to the office marked “CIO” with a screwdriver and removed the brass plate. In a management restructure announced yesterday, the CIO job ceased to be: in essence, the PHB* has been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least IT isn't reporting to the CFO

If IT reports to the COO it should have some relevance to the business. IT Departments that report to the CFO seem to be more interested in cutting their costs than enhancing the business (although they do seem to put a fair bit of effort into accounting systems).

2. erhumdm
    Thumb Down

Nothing new here

Plenty of CIOs report to the COO ... this ain't news.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Downfall of Empire Accompanied by Death of Publishing

It'll be the death of publishing. The marketeers won't know where to send those free glossy magazines and brochures which reinforce the often-dubious authority of the CIO.

Something of a cheer for common sense in recognizing the IT is a service for the benefit of whole-of-corporate goals (blimey; sounds like marketing fluff). IT is supposed to provide tools to improve the availability, utility and efficiency of access to information in the form that it is needed.

Not an excuse to build an empire within.

(Anonymous to let the points stand on their own merit.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please Do The Needful

"Thankfully, in the ruins there will still be the BOFH actually keeping things running..."

With the current rate of infrastructure outsourcing going on in the Aus finance sector, before long that BOFH will be the Bastard Operator from Hyderabad

*Anonymous coward because I work at one of them. And I've been asked to consider a trip to India to train my replacement

This topic is closed for new posts.