back to article China overtakes US as world’s biggest smartphone market

The number of smartphones sold in China has outpaced that in the US for the first time, according to analyst house Strategy Analytics. In the third quarter of 2011 Chinese smartphone sales rose 58 per cent, with 23.9 million units shipped. By comparison, US smartphone sales slid down seven per cent to 23.3 million units. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox

"People know what is smartphone and how to use it thanks to Apple"

"The iPhone is kind of a catalyst for the Chinese smartphone market."

Honestly, I would say it happened the same way in US when the iPhone first came out.

2. Charles Manning
    Holmes

NSS

Booming economy with new people getting to the point where they want new cool toys vs stagnant economy? I'm just surprised it took this long.

I would doubt Nokia gets much share of this. They don't have compelling product right now. In Europe, Nokia has some historical and local appeal, but there is no such history in China. If you're wanting to flaunt your new middle class wealth then you're not going to get a Nokia.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

look at the bright side, if some OEMs start to make phones that are targeted at the world (excluding the USofA), we might get some nice phones designed by people who are not worried about nor restricted by "Software Patent"

4. dotdavid

I reckon the home-grown Chinese manufacturers will end up the biggest. Huawei, ZTE and whatever the company that makes the MIUI Android distro probably.

Maybe foreign brands will become a status symbol, who knows, but even if that's the case can anyone really see Nokia/Microsoft being seen as cool enough for that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like