back to article Market watcher ayes claim iPad 3 to sport 1536 x 2048 screen

Another analyst has claimed Apple's iPad display makers have started punching out 2048 x 1536 panels for the tablet's next incarnation. So says Richard Shim of DisplaySearch, a market watcher in an interview with Cnet. An Asian mole recently said LG, Samsung and Sharp have already shipped more than a million of the hi-res …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ya, ya, ya, but...

... how much will it COST, darling, how much will it COST?

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

If you have to ask, you can't afford it :)

1. David Simpson 1

Or to put it another way, let them eat cake!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you have to ask...

...you're not enough of a fanboi.

2. BoxedSet
    Coat

It doesn't matter what resolution or how many ppi the display on the next one might/will have.... the fish on the screen will still look just as appetising to the cat, and you will look just as stupid as the cat does using it !

3. Arrrggghh-otron

Huge display!

"Apple will have 3m 2048 x 1536 displays by the end of November."

Wow! A 3 meter display with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. That's gonna be one heavy ipad

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

One heavy iPad

Yeah, and the batteries will be a b@....d

Maybe Apple will be giving away (stop! What was I thinking? that should be SELLING) shopping trolleys to lug it all around in - you never know, they might even be Apple Carts (and patented, too)

Though I have to say, if Apple did come up with an iPad with this sort of resolution (I miss my 2560 x 1920 CRT ) and a half-decent size - say 28inch - display and a keyboard/mouse then I might buy one.

1. Arrrggghh-otron

R.E One heavy iPad

"Though I have to say, if Apple did come up with an iPad with this sort of resolution (I miss my 2560 x 1920 CRT ) and a half-decent size - say 28inch - display and a keyboard/mouse then I might buy one."

I miss the super high res CRTs too. 1920 x 1080 monitors are ok, I mean, I've gotten used to them. But a 2560 x 1920 display in a decent size that doesn't cost a bloody fortune would be nice.

1. Tom 38

How much is a fortune?

For £750 you can get a 30" 2560 x 1600 panel.

For £460 you can get a 27" 2560 x 1440 panel.

All prices plus VAT, usual etailers. Decent CRTs used to cost way more than that, I remember paying £300 for an übercheap 19" 1600x1200 CRT probably 12 years ago.

2. short

OCUK have got 2560x1440 27" LED IPS for £320 , which isn't a bad cost per pixel.

As for the guy wondering whining about the high res, and wondering who the target market is - I doubt I'm Apple's target market, but I very much want a high res tablet for the workbench. PDF datasheets, schematics, spreadsheets, in a handy nonpaper form - yeah! I may even choke down my loathing of iOS for that. Or wait for a proper manufacturer to play catch-up.

At the moment, I run a pair of (3840x2400 22") VP2290b's , but as a secondary display, a tablet would be nice, if only it had a useful resolution.

2. Frank Bough

Sorry

But no CRT could really address 2560x1920 pixels - just a load of blur and moiré. A common 2560x1600 LCD, on the other hand...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. wilhil

@short

I just looked at OCUK! I can't see one with that spec at that price! ... Can you give a link as I am urgently looking for a new IPS monitor!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's make sure we have the name of this rising star

So another puff piece to stoke the ego of Richard Shim, that's RICHARD SHIM in case you missed it of DisplaySearch, that's DisplaySearch there. So it's basically DisplaySearch who employ Richard Shim to write articles about tech, so DisplaySearch ( who incidentally employ a guy called Richard Shim ) in case you need anyone called Richard, second name Shim, to write any articles or watch something for you.

Once more to make sure, that's RICHARD SHIM of DISPLAYSEARCH!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like