back to article PETA claims anti-Mario campaign was a joke

PETA, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has responded to fan backlash over this week's anti-Mario campaign, insisting it wasn't an attack on the Ninty mascot, but a humorous attempt to raise awareness of a serious issue. "Mario fans: Relax! PETA's game was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, a fun way to call attention …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Platelet
    FAIL

sorry PETA

laughing at you not with you

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

PETA

If anything, this shows something about PETA, in that everyone EXPECTED them to do stuff like this, thus had no problem believing their "joke."

2. Kravex
    Thumb Up

PETA - Please East Tasty Animals

3. Kravex
    Thumb Up

Name change

PETA - Please East Tasty Animals

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Angel

Internet hive mind?

More to the point, why are giant dildos being used as background props??

4. Dante

"Call of Duty, where characters shoot and kill animals, or in Dog Wars, where players have fun fighting and torturing dogs, it sends a dangerous message that this kind of behaviour is acceptable"

Really, it doesn't.

Shit like this angries up my blood and that's as a veggie for over 20 years.

Twunts.

1. Greg J Preece

"Call of Duty, where characters shoot and kill animals"

And humans. Did you miss the humans? Lots and lots of humans? Seems like PETA don't give a fuck about their own species, only other ones.

And how often do you kill animals in CoD? Though I will admit to being surprised when my childish chicken-murder spree through the market in CoD7 was rewarded with a Steam achievement.

5. P.Nutt
    Coat

PETA - For folk wih too much time on there hands

Lets not forget that all of God's creatures have a place on the earth...right next to the mashed potatoes.

/Mine is the leather lamb skin jacket

1. Silverburn
      Headmaster

Shurely Shome mishtake

Leather *and* lamb skin..?

1. Thomas 4
        Thumb Up

@Silverburn

Damn straight. I've got a packet of veal cutlets in one pocket and a slab of venison in the other.

2. Ammaross Danan
        FAIL

"Leather"

"Leather *and* lamb skin..?"

Yes, Leathered lamb skin. Leathering is a process (well, Tanning, but too many would think that means sunbathing...), and can be applied to many types of skins.

6. Silverburn

PETA bullshit

mentioned in the other thread, but applicable here too - go to youtube, and search for 'Penn & Teller Bullshit PETA'.

Amusing viewing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Look - without his fur on you can clearly see he's made of meat.

That PETA game is clearly promoting the warm, tasty nutritional value of the tanuki.

Honestly, if you want to put people off these animals, you could always just show them a clip from 'Pom Poko'...

8. jake Silver badge

Oh. I see the joke.

Ha, ha.

Seriously, PETA advocates need their heads examining.

9. Bassey

Skinning Animals Alive

Seriously? Skinning Animals Alive? I just don't believe that happens as common practice for several reasons.

1) It would be several times more difficult to skin them alive, whilst wriggling, screaming, biting etc. than whilst dead

2) It would be pointless. They aren't sheep. It won't grow back.

3) The fur would get covered in blood. Far better to drain the blood first (and keep it - very tasty).

4) PETA stated it

Doesn't mean there aren't sick bastards out there that do it sometimes for kicks but as a standard business practice it is an awful lot of extra hassle with no benefits.

10. Sargs
    Unhappy

What about the turtles?

Mario may not skin raccoon dogs for their fur, but what about all the poor turtles he brutally de-shells in a manner reminiscent of that scene in Cannibal Holocaust?

To add insu- well, injury to injury, he then uses the shells to hurt other turtles!

When will the madness stop?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

".......where players have fun fighting and torturing dogs, it sends a dangerous message that this kind of behaviour is acceptable"

The most scary thing is, it's true!

99.5% of the population as a thick as sh te, and those allifcted will believe it.

12. Paul RND*1000
    Facepalm

The only joke I see here is PETA.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And this from the biggest HYPOCRITES on the planet...bullocks!!

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petasdirtysecret.cfm

14. Atonnis

I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals!!

I love them with barbeque sauce, or sweet chilli, or jack daniels glazing....om nom nom nom!

15. Christoph
    Thumb Down

Rubbish

1> That excuse is as old as the hills - when you are caught out, claim "Oh, but I was only joking".

2> PETA have made it very clear that they don't *have* a sense of humour.

16. Anonymous John

PETA has a sense of humour?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sorry but woudnt....

it be more fun to hunt down, torture and skin PETA members, (in a online game enviroment ???)

18. Oninoshiko
    Trollface

PETA

operators of all kill shelters.

19. Chad H.

Where is the concern for mushrooms?

In every Mario game I can recall poor defenceless mushrooms are forced to suffer!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only kidding!

Really, the sorriest get out. A rather tedious acquaintance of mine used to pull this regularly to explain away some hideously retarded remark; it almost invariably seems to be a technique associated with those least capable of actual functioning humour.

From the latest meeting of the PETA strategy boutique: "Well I think that went rather well! Finally people are talking about us for some reason other than because Chrissie Hynde used to be shaggable."

21. ElNumbre
    Facepalm

@PETA

Stick to the naked celebs, plz.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like