back to article HP earns Greenpeace eco-purity snog

The latest annual Greenpeace Guide to Greener Electronics is out, and Nokia has lost its three-year reign at the top to an up-and-coming HP. Before anyone starts popping compostable champagne corks, it’s worth pointing out that none of the 15 companies studied over the last year managed more than six out of ten on Greenpeace’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Roper
    WTF?

HP? Top of the green list? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Are we talking about the same company here, HP as in Hewlett-Packard, the company that ships single memory sticks in 5 concentric washing machine boxes with half a ton of shredded newspaper and polystyrene beans and enough copper staples to run a 220 kV line from London to Glasgow? And they're now on top of Greenpeace's treehugger list?

I somehow find that difficult to believe... even creationism seems a more likely proposition than this!

1. James O'Brien
      Joke

Well you beat me to it but.....

I was thinking more along the lines of the HP who ships a single software license strapped to a wooden pallet, inside of 10 cardboard boxes setup as a Russian nesting doll, each nicely packed in its own polystyrene peanuts and plastic wrapping to protect it (the box im guessing), only to find the license on a nice bed of foam padding, inside its own plastic bag, which is inside an anti-static bag (atleast we know the paper license hasnt been subjected to any harmful static), which is subsequentially nestled inside a letter sized envelope.

Mind you the strapping materials for the package are probaby lead bands just to make sure that tampering was evident, the pallet probably made from an endangered type of tree and an additional increase in copper staples which is the real reason that the price of copper is going through the roof seeing as they use 90% of the supply. Oh and the idiotic amount of gas needed to carry, an item which weighs almost nothing in the first place, the package how ever far it needs to go to be delivered.

No, I dont see anything wrong with this since all they probably had to do was eliminate one box and that gives them a reduction of aproximately 13.47% in materials waste......

2. C-N
      Alert

Yeah, what he said

Do Greenpeace know about the boxes? I guess they don't read El Reg.

2. Chris Miller
    Facepalm

The only way to get 10/10 from Greenpeace

is to dig a big hole, jump in, and cover yourself up.

3. Herby

Pardon me...

If I don't give a damn!

4. Simon Neill

Eco Hippies

"products are short lived" yes, because some twats made us take all the lead out of the solder so now we have to use crapper alternatives.

"products use less energy" great, now they used 10W not 12. But cost twice as much.

"did not agree to use renewables" What, you mean those giant windmills that actually consume more energy in production than they produce in their lifespan?

Guess which side of the debate I am on.

5. simonjon
    Pint

It's about awareness

Well done to the Oil Rig Clingers for raising awareness of all this as the public carrot and stick is a good way to sharpen the manufacturers pencils. They really need to add HTC, though: who buys Phillips these days?!?

Yes, over packaging is still a serious and widely prevalent issue, but it's far from just HP who is guilty of this. Most things we buy have far too much packaging. We can all think of an example.

Reducing it comes very far down the agenda for many firms, though, as many firms environmental units focus more on reducing the biggest bogeyman - the CO2 emissions from electricity - as it's sexier and more easily/publicly measurable.

The better angle on reducing packaging is the cost incentive for a business. Cardboard and plastic is starting to getting exponentially more expensive because of the water, oil, electricity, gas and shipping fuel needed to make it. But it's quicker and easier to use less of it, than, say, electricity in your operations.

Let's face it, not many Westerners really get the green thing, so chase the monetary savings by using less of everything and the planet saving thang will be a nice bonus.

Beer, 'coz it's Friday.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like