back to article Biz bosses are catching fondleslab fever, says distie

Biz customers are slowly falling for the charms of the fondleslab and finally calling on resellers to provide them, the boss of Ingram Micro reckons. According to Greg Spierkel, chief exec at the world's largest IT distie, the touchy tech tablets were "mostly slated" for the consumer market and were typically sold direct by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bunker_Monkey
    Big Brother

Very true

One of our top dogs entered the room and demanded we set-up his new gleaming iPad 2.0 (which was personal, therefore not supported) with company email etc.

Cause as the money gets greater, the less brains and more 'care' they need!

1. relpy
      Paris Hilton

One presumes, of course, that the device is encrypted?

What?

Oh dear.

Paris, because I suspect you guys could use cheering up.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Bango Skank

shareable notes

The ability to replace the paper & pen notes taken at meetings with share-able and searchable notes.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

paper & pen?

At the vast majority of meetings I attend, in business and academia, I'm the only person taking notes on paper - and that's because I'm a contrarian and a curmudgeon. Everyone else uses some form of computer. Yes, a few use iPads (particularly the academics, who are often terrible trend followers), but most use full-fat laptops or netbooks, and some use smartphones. A few years ago, PDAs were a popular option.

And in any case, "note-taking" hardly counts as a business application. It's a small convenience that can be used in a business context.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For use in sales

Our sales twunks now fight daily over who has one of the limited number of ipads so they can go wave them under potential clients noses demonstrating our websites.

Apparently the shiny makes the clients forget they are supposed to get value for money and just buy whatever it is that is shiny shiny.

@Bunker_Monkey: hardly a crazy request is it? Do you not already have processes in place for getting email on an Android/iPhone? iPad is just a big iPhone.

4. Audrey S. Thackeray

Sure, just point your Citrix Receiver to <insert friendly alias for web server here>.

5. John A Blackley

Been going on for a while

Here in the GoodoldUSofA tablets have been de rigeur for the cool kids on the mahogany floor for some time. They're widely used in healthcare and education and getting more and more traction in other verticals.

To AC and "Show me the business application(s)": Start with Citrix and go from there.

6. westlake
    Pint

Grow up.

"Fondleslab" reeks of the geek's eternal adolescence.

1. Z-Eden
      FAIL

You're new here, aren't you?

7. DrXym

Code to the standards, not to devices

It be far more sensible to code to whatever subset of HTML, wifi, VPN etc. that all tablets & netbooks support and If businesses are stupid enough to code specifically to the iPad they'll be as screwed as they were when they coded to IE6.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like