back to article HSBC pins hopes on Borat and IPO-pimping ATMs

Forget the good, old US of A. HSBC wants to bet on places like Kazakhstan for its financial future. Ray O'Brien, an HSBC IT investment exec, unveiled his Borat-inspired plan to rule the world last night during an Intel-funded gig at Tate Modern. The grizzled financial markets in the US and Western Europe do little to inspire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tawakalna
    Go

jagshemash!

crazy groovy HongKong Shanghaid Banking, they No1 multi-national capitalist prostitute in Kazakhstan, many betterings than sh*tty Bank of Uzbekistan!

2. Solomon Grundy
    Stop

Huh?

What do mobile banking and micro-payments/loans to the poor have to do with each other?

Hello, yes I'm a dirt poor peasant, how can I get into this mobile banking thing? I've heard that IPO's from mobile banking friendly company's are the next big thing.

I'll just run to the nearest ATM to get the cash I got from a micro-loan from the UN.

This douche from HSBC should be sacked ASAP before he causes any more confusion with is marketing speak.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

HSBC

need twelve step plan? What are these cretinous bankers smoking/drinking.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Hong Kong delivers an ATM body-blow to HSBC

Although I don't bank with HSBC in Hong Kong - or anywhere for that matter - because I intensely dislike the huge queues to get "service" - whereas other banks in Hong Kong have shorter queues - I was greatly amused that the Hong Kong public had delivered a "Black Eye" to the HSBC here very recently.

The HK-HSBC had tried to force its customers to withdraw at least HK$300 [about 20 Quid] with each ATM withdrawal - but vociferous protests at the impost of a 300% increase in the minimum ca$h withdrawal - from $100 - forced them to stage a harried, & hurried, retreat !

5. Cathryn

Micro-payments

@Solomon Grundy - they're talking about micro payments, not micro loans. So if someone wanted to buy a loaf of bread from their neighbour, they'd use their mobile to transfer the money.

6. Matt

Reading between the lines

The old world order is changing and we haven't got a clue what will happen next (in fact they haven't got a clue about what has just happened either).

Still it's about time the world woke up to the fact that the dollar hasn't been the biggest currency for some time and I'd rather my life wasn't screwed up by a bunch of financial muppets in the US who think it's a good idea to lend to people who can't possibly pay back....

7. Matthew
    Thumb Up

@Solomon Grundy

Mobile phone usage is growing massively in the third world. Cheap (2nd hand) mobiles are making their way from the West. Due to the lack of fixed (copper pair) infrastructure, many countries are skipping directly to a mobile infrastructure. You can now make payphone calls on a village's mobile phone in the most suprisingly remote places in Africa.

8. Rob
    Stop

HSBC Numpty needs sacking

It definitely sounds like he has verbal diarrhoea after being a 2 pint wonder.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"... holding back the urge to thump chest like a tie-wearing Gorilla ..."

... or "Steve Ballmer", as it's otherwise known.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

HSBC - The woulds most faceless bank

All i can say is AVOID HSBC banks at all cost. I needed the bank to do three things for me this year, and every time they have cocked it up, resulting in official complaints. Even there staff do not know who to ring to fix problems. When they do the staff are auguing on the phone for someone to take ownership and responsibility for problems. Then there's the printers. They can never seam to even get these mysterious things to work. They're a faceless marketing machine not a bank.

11. Steve

HSBC are scum.

I kept trying to cancel an insurance policy with them for about 3 months before I finally got to the financial adviser (who would have to answer to the FSA) and got him to admit that the policy wasn't link to a studies loan I had taken out.

All the way through this, I was going into the bank every fortnight trying to find ways to manage my repayments - every single time they suggested that I reduce my outgoings I suggested cancelling the uneeded policy. They repeatedly told me that I couldn't do that. Turns out they meant my outgoings to *other* companies

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like