back to article Oops! Ofcom's DCMS's own blocking easily visible to world+dog

Technical klutz Ofcom* says web-blocking laws will be ineffective, and so should not be implemented. It did so today in a heavily readacted report – where the redactions were easily readable by the entire world. Ofcom has now removed the ineptly censored study and replaced it with a password-protected version. One blacked-out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gulfie
    FAIL

Ofcom...

We know all about technology. Come to us for advice!

Sounds like they've outsourced their redaction service.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Pirate

The Pirate's handbook.

(c) OFCOM 2011.

Time to invest in Ursine sanitary ware manufacturers methinks.

3. Arrrggghh-otron
    WTF?

Redacted why?!?

MY GOD, what were they thinking! Don't let the H4k0rz see this or there will be chaos!

4. Antony Riley
    FAIL

Epic Fail.

#1 Producing a report stating the bleeding obvious.

#2 Feeling the need to redact the bleeding obvious.

#3 Failing to redact the bleeding obvious.

5. syserr0r
    Holmes

Uncensored URL

For those looking to see the uncensored document, see the following google cache of the document: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/internet/site-blocking.pdf

6. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Coffee/keyboard

Icon says it all

Meanwhile in other news

Dalek invason of earth stopped by flight of stairs

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice try

The link didn't work for me...too late maybe..thanks anyway :)

1. Arthur Dent

Re: Nice try

The link doesn't work in Firefox 5.0 with Noscript 2.1.1.1. and HTPS Everywhere 0.9.7.

It works fine in IE 8.0.6001.18702. So not too late, just wrong tool.

8. yeahyeahno
    FAIL

Link worked, report read

And I learned nothing. I can't imagine why any of it was redacted, there was nothing in it that any self respecting network admin wouldn't know, let alone those who committed to getting around censorship.

Somewhat perplexed that TOR is only mentioned in the glossary, and that space isn't devoted to the juxtaposition that western governments have gotten themselves into, by actively wanting to undermine things like the great firewall of China, whilst at the same time trying to erect their own (perhaps smaller, simpler) versions.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Accidentally on purpose?

No Mr Witless Politician, we didn't mean to let the internet know how many of your policies are based on mistruths and misunderstandings about technology. Honest.

10. Andy Miller

Dumb

Man they're dumb. Bet they use IE.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Complaint

Sir

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms that the web address in your article, namely:

https://www.example.com/downloads/pirate.zip

did not allow me to download a new zip for my pirate costume. How dare you waste my valurable time in this manner!

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like