back to article Skype arrives on fondleslab

Skype has finally arrived on the iPad – after one false alarm. Now anybody can talk into a gigantic, oversized iPhone. Skype's VoIP service has several advantages over Apple's newborn video-conferencing service FaceTime: it works over 3G, it is "presence aware", it works with non-Apple gear, and best of all, it can call any …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

No it doesn't

It's not on my fondlableslab

1. tas
      Facepalm

Twitter agrees with you!

Skype Skype

We know you've been eagerly awaiting Skype for iPad and apologize for the inconvenience.

6 hours ago

Skype Skype

To ensure your best Skype experience, we've temporarily removed Skype for iPad which went live prematurely today.

6 hours ago

:)

2. Ian North

Facetime...

I'll say this for Facetime, for all of its faults it does seem to produce a clearer and smoother image than Skype does, from the iPhone at least.

I was chatting to my girlfriend over skype the other day, her on her iPhone and me on my computer. We decided to try Facetime for some reason. I could see her a lot more clearly and the framerate was higher. She said that she could see me more clearly too.

Same hardware on both ends, same internet connection.

3. Valerion

Has it?

Not showing on App store, and nothing about it on the Skype website either. The iPad link takes you to the iPhone page.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pulled!

And it's been pulled already! Skype tweeted "to ensure your best Skype experience, we've temporarily removed Skype for iPad which went live prematurely today."

5. Mark Thomas 3
    Thumb Down

Grrr..

Check before posting.

This isn't available on app store as it was removed again as was reported by most other tech sites. I thought you had some insider info but instead you didn't research. Damn your eyes.

6. petur

Not missing either

I'm not missing the ipad since I don't like being locked in the walled garden, and so neither do I miss skype - I'll have standard SIP-compliant VOIP anytime, thank you!

The advantage of using standards is that it is cheaper since there are multiple providers begging, and switching is dead easy :)

Combined with any Jabber (xmpp) compatible service, it does everything skype does, and more....

7. Peter Mount
    Holmes

I'll wait a bit longer

I'll wait a bit longer but I've found the iPhone app works perfectly fine on my 1st gen iPad - in fact even when not using a headset the hands free side works better than most purpose built phones do.

The only down side is that it does look like an enlarged iPhone - hopefully the app will work fine

8. Anonymous Coward
    Go

The first time I see someone...

...with an iPad stuck to the side of their head I will literally shit myself with laughter.

1. ThomH

Won't happen, sadly

The speaker is round the back, near the bottom, and there's no microphone. Trust Apple to take all the fun out of everything.

1. Nick Pettefar

iPad Microphone

It's on the top edge.

I SAID - IT'S ON THE TOP EDGE! Oh, sorry.

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Don't be daft

There is most definitely a microphone on the iPad, I've been using it to Skype with my girlfriend using the iPhone version for the iPad.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Interesting trick

boot up skype, and hold video/audio call.

run fingers along the back of a naked ipad...marvel at the static feedback into the mic.

Or maybe it's just mine. or my electric personality?

9. John Miles 1

brick on a stick

So the "brick on a stick" is replaced by a paving slab !

10. JJS
    Megaphone

HELLO?? WHAT?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

Sorry, pic in the article reminded me of Dom Joly and his various bits where he's in a quiet public place when his gigantic Nokia phone starts ringing.

1. pdogguk

That...

...is Dom Joly.

11. 100113.1537

erm...

Been using Skype on a fondleslab for months - was I holding it the wrong way?

12. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Hurray!

Despite reports earlier in this forum, it is available now and works well.

Now the only embarrassing iPhone-only omissions for iPad owners are Facebook and Google+.

1. Adrian Esdaile
      Trollface

Embarrassing? How?

....which both seem to work just fine on the built-in browser.

Problem?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like