back to article Apple slices iPhone and iPad ad rates 'by 70%'

Apple has sliced rates for its iAd mobile advertising platform by as much as 70 per cent as big name clients depart for rival ad platforms, according to a report citing two people with knowledge of the matter. Bloomberg reports that the likes of Citigroup and JC Penney – which paid $1m or more to run campaigns on iAd when the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

iHeist

If they can charge 30% now, they could have charged 30% then. So clearly their old rates were excessive.

1. ratfox
      Holmes

Sure

This nothing at all to do whatsoever with demand and supply. No Sir!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Re: Demand & supply

Isn't that the excuse for hacking and deleting messages from Milly Dowler's voicemail and entrapping people with fake sheiks?

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

Demand and Supply 2

As with all advertising, Demand and supply goes thus:

Demand: From a user perspective...Zero

Supply: From a users perspective...there's way, way too much supply...

1. DZ-Jay

Re: Demand and Supply 2

I think he meant demand from developers and supply from advertisers. It is known that developers tend to depend less on the ad-supported model in the iOS App Store than in other platforms. Therefore, it stands to reason that there may be less ad impressions on iOS than the advertisers would want, and thus they are cutting back on their campaigns or reassessing their focus.

-dZ.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd

I thought developing for iOS devices was much more profitable for developers, as the owners are more likely to spend cash than Android owners.

But for advertisers it seems that iOS owners alone aren't worth chasing when an ad can run across multiple OS.

I guess the extra cost for developing software across multiple OSs outweighs the benefit from reaching the extra people, but ads are pretty simple and run on everything with little change.

Wonder when the tipping point will come and Android numbers make up for the lack of spend per device for developers too?

3. Syren Baran
    Joke

I can see the future

"So, Apple is not just cutting prices. It's offering advertisers perks that even developers can't get."

No, i don't really want to play this lousy game, i'm waiting for the terrific ads!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iAds isn't the only game in town for iOS developers.

iOS developers can use Google owned AdMob which runs on just about everything.

1. ratfox
      WTF?

Seriously?

If iOS developers can make money with AdMob, Apple is way more open with what they allow on their products than I thought...

5. Richard 120

Time saving I expect.

"Apple did not respond to a request for comment. But that's because we didn't send one."

How long did you used to wait before the obligatory "Apple did not respond to a request for comment" statement? (in the olden days before you gave up even talking to them)

6. Lance 3

Lower prices

Lower the prices, it is not that hard.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like