back to article Anonymous claims LulzSec merger

Anonymous claims that members of the notorious (recently disbanded) prankster hacking group LulzSec have joined its group. "All @LulzSec members have reported aboard" according to an update to the @AnonymousIRC Twitter account. A later post claimed the move has nothing to do with the recent arrest of an alleged member of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dale Morgan

names are meangingless

the members of lulzsec were always members of anonymous, all they've done is drop the lulzsec name

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Same people, same groups

Tbh, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing the same nonsense from the same people. They just create new group names and swap between them as they want. You see the same names and same faces behind the scenes of Anon. Lulzshit and PokemonTeamPoison.

PLEASE PLEASE LOOK AT US, PLEASE GIVE US ATTENTION!!11ONEONE!

1. Ru
      FAIL

Quite so.

and LOOK AT YOU, GIVING THEM ATTENTION!!!111

No, don't tell me. The best way to deal with this sort of hacking spree which is basically possible because atrocious security is endemic in the web world, is to just ignore them, and I'm sure they'll just stop.

2. salada2k
      FAIL

@AC Same people, same groups

Clearly, it is ALL about the attention, douchebag. There is no point to a political campaign if nobody knows about it?!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

5th Columnists

So Anonymous have now been infiltrated by agents of the Stazi state then?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rise of the script kiddies...

I wonder if they think where some of this "judge & jury" vandalism will lead? I'm all for the right to free speech, public demonstration and on occasion civil disobedience but also for personal responsibility.

As much as I think it is important to point out how widespread some of the most security problems are, I can't avoid the feeling that this is starting to look more and more like joyriding.

5. jake Silver badge

Just out of curiosity ...

What is the average/mean age of these idiots? 15? 14? 13?

It's bloody obvious that they don't understand how the Adult world works ...

1. Fisher39

Not teens

Allegedly, they're all over the age of 20. Someone's dropped a file on Pastebin with their details. There's a sysadmin, a web coder and several students.

2. Danny 5
      Happy

seriously?

do you honestly think it's only kids that are doing this? For one, i find it VERY hard to believe there's any form of organisation, the group seems to be totally organic, you can't join anonymous persé, you either are or aren't anonymous, it's as simple as that.

second, i'm quite sure the scriptkiddies are at the forefront, but there will be people from all layers of society involved in this.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

lil older

I do believe the ringleader is 30ish and his minions somewhat younger. Early twenties I think though.

Combined maturity of your average teenager though ;-)

4. Turtle_Fan
      Thumb Down

Quite older

How can they be just teenagers or as the poster above called them "script kiddies".

I think the HBGary coup took more than your average script kid to pull off.

Defacing and DDos-ing are way more elementary than the combined techniques employed on HBGary.

1. lurker

@Turtle Fan

LulzSec didn't have anything to do with the HBGary 'coup' though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

@lurker

"LulzSec didn't have anything to do with the HBGary 'coup' though."

And you know this how? You were there?

Oh right, just like all the "omgz scriptkiddies" posts, you're talking out your ass.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Name calling

The reason for many of us posting anonymously on this is that we don't want to draw unnecessary attention to ourselves whilst pointing out the facts: the work of the script kiddies is fairly simplistic - running existing code on known exploits - but that is not to say that it can't be briefly very disruptive or expensive to mitigate. You don't have to search very hard to find out what's going on.

If the current wave leads to improved security on websites around the world then I'm all for it. And, maybe, the odd caution or prosecution. I do, however, worry that some of this mischief written large won't be used as an excuse for more draconian and invasive "anti-terrorist" legislation.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"prankster hacking group LulzSec"

Really?

Hacking?

Pranksters?

Or just plain script kiddie arseholes.

you decide...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More likely

they've suddenly realised that, whoops, they might get in trouble here, so they're retreating back into the security of the Anonymous mothership while blithely claiming that was the plan all along.

It's pretty much Anon's SOP

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Run away! Run away!

Brave Sir LulzSec ran away.

Bravely ran away, away!

When danger reared its ugly head,

He bravely turned his tail and fled.

Yes, brave Sir LulzSec turned about

And gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet

He beat a very brave retreat,

Bravest of the brave, Sir LulzSec!

1. phlashbios
        FAIL

Yeah.....

Brave Sir LulzSec ran away.

Bravely ran away, away!

When danger reared its ugly head,

Said the AC that posted this. Oh the irony.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

AC

I may be mad, but I'm not stupid.

Ironic? Moi?

8. Mark 78

So which group are the Peoples Front of Judea

and which are the Judean Peoples Front?

1. Paul Dx

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Splitters

1. T.a.f.T.

let us unite against the common enemy

The Judean People's front

2. Is it me?

They'll be too young...

To understand this reference....

Romani ite domum or should that be "Haud nomen ite domum", but hey probably don't get out much anyway.

1. Thomas 4

All well and good

But what's the Roman for Distributed Denial of Service?

1. jake Silver badge

@Thomas 4

Something close to "circumfusum repulsa beneficium" ...

Kinda, sorta, ish. My Latin's rusty, and it's just gone 4:45AM :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re Thomas4

What's Roman for anything? Romans spoke Latin.

2. Jim jimminy jim jim jim jim

er

Romans go the house?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Angel

For the uninitiated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVy4BrxpKGQ

1. Naughtyhorse

Excellent vid post!

now...

would you recommend the otters noses or wolfs nipples as an in movie snack?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or were they?

The Popular front?

1. Alister

Popular front?

Nah, He's over there...

9. T.a.f.T.

IPO

The important thing is what the public trading value of this new merged organisation would be; with facebook pumping up to $70B it is a good time for floating online tech groups.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

wtf mate

Minus a million dollars.

10. anon#1000
    FAIL

lulz

Anyone claiming to be a "member" of anonymous has is lying, has case of unwarranted self importance or perhaps just a member of one "anon" clan that has sprung up. Anonymous is actually just the name given to the collective. It's kids throwing spitballs and seeing what sticks. Not some organization. For every proposed activity a hundred get turned down. Thousands of people are involved, but you can't say they are "members". They may be members of some project anon has formed, but there are no leaders. It's not organized.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clarify..........

"For Every proposed activity a hundred get turned down"

"It's not organized"

Erm, if it's not organised then who turns acitivities down?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Clarification

"Who turns activities down?"

Everyone else.

"How about we do X? Who's with me?"

(total silence)

"Shall we do Y?"

"I don't think that'd be good to do"

"Errm Maybe."

(discussion fades to silence)

"Shall we do Z?"

Man the harpoons! Off we go!

X and Y have not been "approved", since there's no momentum behind the idea and as such it fails instantly.

1. Naughtyhorse

so you mean....

democracy!!

the bastards, is there no level they wont sink to?

I can't imagine why any yoof with mad skilzz would want to have anything to do with them

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

We woz born on teh Internets!

We owz da Internets!

Script-kiddies rool

12. Blofeld's Cat
    Flame

For goodness sake...

I don't care who's breaching your "security" - just take better care of my data.

The chances are I didn't want to give you my details in the first place. Is it really necessary to make me "register" to check the specification on one of your products? Oh and if you think that the details I gave you are accurate then you need a new marketing strategy.

If your webmaster hasn't heard of SQL injection and "playing around with the URL", you really need to get a replacement.

Thank you.

13. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Scaling Plateaux .... a Must Do for Vertical Elevation

"Meanwhile TeaMp0isoN, another hacking group that rose to prominence with the release of what purported to be Tony Blair's contact list last weekend, pledged to carry on as an independent hacking crew. "Unlike @lulzsec, our movement dosent have an expiry date. . . . we wont ever backdown, this means a lot to us, time for a manifesto," it said."

Here's a base document to build Nirvana upon, TeaMp0isoN ..... http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/manifesto.html

Seek and Ye Shall Find ...... that all is ProVisioned by the Those with Thoughts that Lie Waiting and Awakened to Life and LOVE Ahead.

"5th Columnists .... So Anonymous have now been infiltrated by agents of the Stazi state then?" ..... Anonymous Coward Posted Tuesday 28th June 2011 06:35 GMT.

I think the realisation is dawned that Anonymous have now infiltrated their agents into Stazi states, AC.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anon

Provoking the wrath of Anonymous is a dangerous thing. You lot can bitch about script kiddies all you like, but I think you're underestimating them. Just read up on the HBGary hack, and how it was done and you'll realise it's not all just a bunch of script kiddies.

1. Thomas 4

Mhmmmm

Its like someone said above - script kiddies are the equivalent of BB guns in Anon's arsenal but I'd be willing to bet they have more than a few pieces of heavy artillery somewhere.

2. nemo20000
      Thumb Down

“You lot”? You’re not one of “us” then?

Provoking the wrath of any bully is a dangerous thing.

Might does not make right.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Err

No, I'm not "Anon".... I do sympathise with some of the causes though. I just used "you lot" because everyone had jumped on the script kiddie bandwagon thus far in the thread, quite delusionally. I thought there were IT professionals here?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re

"everyone had jumped on the script kiddie bandwagon thus far in the thread, quite delusionally. I thought there were IT professionals here?"

Agreed. This site would be a better place if they banned anyone who called them "kids" or engaged in other useless ad hominem attacks.

2. Daniel 4

Re: “You lot”? You’re not one of “us” then?

"Provoking the wrath of any bully is a dangerous thing.

Might does not make right."

No, but there are still some things I won't say in public even in jest because I know my government has no sense of humor and is a bully (U.S. of A.). This is despite having "Freedom of Speech." Right does not always protect you. I suspect the earlier AC was making a similar point.

-d

15. hexx

anon = lulzsec

the same kids, team p0ison released yesterday another dox of another member of lulzsec. lulzesc needed to end, too much heat from everywhere, not just team p0ison but also jester and whitehats forums

16. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Maybe I missed it but

you don't hear about them supporting the personal liberties or attacking the government of Libya, Syria, Israel... places where it matters.

They're either.dangerous children or dangerous cold-eyed villains: track them down and lock them up.

1. Elmer Phud

Maybe you missed it

as title

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

seriously?

maybe you missed it but

operation egypt

operation libya

operation syria

operation israel

operation tunisia

should i continue?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

nope

We are all having our personal liberties attacked it's just not always as obvious as it is in Libya et al.

Unless you think big corps have the good of the citizens at their hearts.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what TeaMp0isoN are saying is that...

They're never gonna give us up, never gonna let us down?

18. hplasm
    FAIL

There's a lot of braying

about Anonymous....

By Anonymous Cowards.

Sad.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@jake

"What is the average/mean age of these idiots? 15? 14? 13?"

"It's bloody obvious that they don't understand how the Adult world works ..."

No , they don't. And its not because they're young, most arn't, its because while they may be technically very intelligent, their social skills and general understanding of other people is severly lacking. This is probably due to a lot of them - like our friend Ryan - being typical borderline aspergers nerds and the rest just simply not getting out enough or interacting with enough people other than via a keyboard for healthy mental development. I'm sure there are a few exceptions but in general - not.

I rather pity them. They think they're some Big Deal, but in reality they're rather tragic solitary figures with low self esteem who are unlikely to amount to very much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re

So they have some "problem" because they cannot or do not want to conform to our society. What grounds do we have to violate their human rights and force them to conform to our societal norms?

If gays can get married, Anon is fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Bullseyed

!?!?

Bizarre riposte...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I actually find it funny

That IRC chat log the Guardian leaked is pure genius, and even if they ARE script kiddies, what does that say about the security of the majority of these so called "respected" companies and corporations, so respected they can't even be trusted with the basic security of your data?

Bravo I say, what better way to highlight the ineptitude of these companies than this? Protests don't work, turns out having a handy network of IRC bots to do your bidding does - maybe they will sit up and notice and pay the extra money they need for some proper pen. testing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re

This. If they are script kiddies like the trolls here whine and moan about, that makes the companies worse not the hackers.

21. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@bullseyed

"What grounds do we have to violate their human rights and force them to conform to our societal norms?"

When breaking those norms means you commit a crime then yes - you need to conform. Don't like it? Fine, piss off and live in a cave or move to another country. And don't start shotgunning the phrase "human rights" around when you clearly have sod all idea or what they are or where responsibilities fit into the equation.

"If gays can get married, Anon is fine"

A piss poor attempt at moral equivalence. Do try a bit harder.

22. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

TeaMp0isoN

Every time I see the word "TeaMp0isoN", the only thing that jumps out is the word "TaMp0N"...

:o.

23. Adam T
    Trollface

Anyone else

bored of stories about these idiots?

They already admitted that they're obsessed with media attention.

Stop feeding them¬

<------------------------

This topic is closed for new posts.