back to article Netizens mobilise to recover precious stolen guitar

The internet has mobilised to help one rather upset Canadian recover his stolen pride and joy - a vintage 1953 Gibson Les Paul. A pic of the stolen Les Paul Poor old Maurice recounts down at Craigslist how he was relieved of the venerable axe (see pic) and other sound kit on 5 June. As the owner of a prized Fender Telecaster …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yaaaawn

What a whinger. Should have got insurance. Is it possible to insure 'MY sound'? What a knob. I reckon his son would have sold it for crack anyway.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
      Thumb Down

What are the words I'm looking for

Oh yes I remember now.

Go. Fuck. Yourself.

Yep, that'll do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Karma's a bitch

I hope you'll be just as pleasant if someone came round to your house and robbed you of something you dearly love and enjoy.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sort of...

Whilst I don't agree with your tone, and yes hindsight is a wonderful thing, if this stuff was THAT precious then yes maybe insurance might have been a wise move?

That's not for one second to excuse the thieving shits who stole it all of course.

1. Cameron Colley

You can't buy irreplaceable things with insurance money.

A guitar that old is pretty much one of a kind -- so nothing will feel or sound the same. The same with the setup -- if there's a valve amp in there or anything else analogue it could be pretty much irreplaceable.

There's also the fact that insuring a guitar worth $20K (just a guess) would be very expensive -- and you still wouldn't get your guitar if it was stolen.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

irreplaceable?

Might not feel or sound exactly the same, but some people might be able to help.

http://guitares.jegou.free.fr/web/

Guy's a friend of mine, too (although one ocean appart).

Anon cuz no bragging

1. Cameron Colley

RE: irreplaceable?

Yes, irreplaceable, no fancy new gimmicks will be the same. Unless the company you're whoring can age the pickup windings and introduce the right amount of moving metal to them to change the magnets? I take it they also aged the wood in the guitars as full glued-together instruments? Did they also tension the truss rod for years?

This may have started off as a luxury factory product -- but now it's a one-of-a-kind musical tool.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Cameron

I hate to break your hipster fancy but:

-irreplaceable means "that cannot replaced". You go and tell the guy that he has to take up the flute.

-The guy I "whored" (not a company, it's just him in his old farm in the middle of the countryside) can probably make a guitar and an amp that will sound almost exactly like the stolen rig, although he probably won't because 1) he can do much better and 2) it would be copying. The guy's an artist, see. He doesn't care much for copying factory products. Although if a well-funded hipster came to him he would probably give it the old college try. Business is business. (not that a well-funded hipster would ask him, of course: all these people care for is the certificate of authenticity, not the actual instrument).

1. Cameron Colley

Yes, whored.

You are a spammer -- you are posting anonymously and you left a link to a commercial website in a comments section where nobody asked for such a link.

The linked site could be for the best luthier in the world -- it's still unsolicited advertising.

Oh, that and you can't copy a missing guitar so nobody could replace the original instrument anyhow.

2. Robert Heffernan
        Holmes

Insurance For Emotion?

While insurance would have covered the market value of the equipment it cannot ever cover the emotion attached to it. So unless the guitar is returned, the money while significant, is emotionally worthless.

4. Lamont Cranston
      Trollface

Insurance would have been smart.

OK, the guitar is irreplaceable, but the financial compensation for the loss would probably have eased the pain somewhat (who knows, maybe his son would rather inherit 25k?). And, yes, talking about "my sound" does sound like a contender for pseuds corner (but it's probably meaningful to those who have an interest in guitar music).

Losing a collection of anything will always be devestating to the collector, and calling his son a crack-head is hardly going to help matters, is it? Then again, appealing to the better nature of someone who broke in, trashed your studio and made off with your stuff, is unlikely to help matters, either.

I hope he gets his guitar back. Troll icon for you, AC.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is it

Is it going to turn out that Maurice is in fact a lesbian in Syria involved in protests with no interest in musical instruments?

3. Bernard M. Orwell
    FAIL

AC 12:01

You forgot your Troll Icon.

4. Jim Carter
    Thumb Down

I'm only too happy to downvote your post.

5. Turtle

*sighs*

A 1953 Gibson Les Paul is pretty nearly a museum-grade rarity. Even if it were insured it would be next to impossible to replace. Nonetheless, it was rather irresponsible to not have insured both the guitar, and the other kit as well. Insurance is, as I well know, expensive, but burglary is hardly cheap. Still, I have a lot of sympathy for the guy.

Is the guitar in the picture accompanying the article a picture of the actual guitar that was stolen? For some reason it strikes me as rather more "modern" looking than I would expect a '53 to look. (Or maybe I am incorrectly expecting a trapeze tailpiece and soapbar pickups.)

1. ArmanX

He's modded it...

Replaced a few bits, including those you mentioned. It's museum-grade, but not collector-grade...

1. Turtle

Replacing pickups.

Well if he replaced the original pickups then the guitar is worth only a fraction of what a "real" '53 LP would be worth. I am using the word "real" here because, in my opinion, the pickups would be the most important part of the guitar, and if replaced on an instrument like a '53 LP, then, to me, the instrument is no longer a real '53 LP. The tailpiece however is not a big deal.

6. Rich Harding
    Thumb Down

You miserable cunt.

(Apologies, Sarah, but this sort of occasion is precisely what the word's for.)

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: AC 12:01

Entirely appropriate usage. Carry on.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A 53 Gold Top should have P90 pickups

... so this guitar would be worth bugger all to a collector.

1. jizzflam
      WTF?

Bugger all?

£25k is not bugger all : http://www.htfr.com/p/392325/gibson_les_paul_gold_top_1953_vintage_electric_guitar_inc_original_gibson_case

Not exactly many of these about.

I hope that Maurice finds his kit and the perps get their dues. A special consideration is needed for the cunty ac @12:01 : may you reap as you sow.

8. Ramazan
    Holmes

only one man

can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!

9. Rob Daglish
    Facepalm

@AC 12:01

I have all of MY instruments insured. But that's the point, they're MY instruments, and have been through a whole bunch of scrapes, concerts and experiences with me. I can soon buy another sax, but the point is, it's another sax - not MY sax. Two instruments, from the same manufacturer, made in the same way with the same sort of components, are not the same - each instrument has a unique soul that can never be replaced. Any musician will tell you something very similar.

10. Stratman

title

It wasn't me ;)

Insuring an instrument like that would be like insuring a work of art. You may end up with a pile of money, but you won't have the painting.

11. Matthew Collier

@AC 12:01

...have you got the message yet?!

12. Sam Therapy
    WTF?

A 53 Gold top should also have a trapeze tailpiece or a stop bar bridge

The hard tail and Tune-o-Matic bridge were introduced in 1954 on the Custom, 1955 on the Standard.

So the one he had is either a bad fake or a chop job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As deduced by ArmanX ...

... nearly a day earlier, he's modded it.

13. Morteus
    Megaphone

Wealth through litigation...

... seems more and more that financial 'compensation' through insurance is almost a live goal. TV ads push it in your face as if it's something we all should do - as often as possible.

But I digress. The point here is not what he could have gained by way of compensation, but that miserable souless beings perpetrated the act in the first place. Everybody has something that they hold dear - things they would be greatly distressed to loose. Compensation is a widely bandied term in legal circles which in many circumstances (as in this one) barely applies. The man was robbed - and we question his conduct?

This topic is closed for new posts.