back to article Tru unveils iPad local rate data-pricing for UK, US and Oz

Multi-country "local anywhere" mobile operator Tru is launching a £20-a-month iPad bundle that currently provides local rate broadband in the UK, US and Australia. A similar package will be available in the US "shortly", according to the company, which also intends to add Spain, Hong Kong and the Netherlands to its roster of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Global? Hardly.

Having THREE countries across the globe signed up on their network (UK, US, Oz) hardly makes it 'global'. Global implies a LOT of countries. They have 3, with 3 more soon, and 3 more after that.

Sorry Tru, but your marketing hype ain't cuttin' the mustard.

1. Chad H.

Well

Considering you can't get a service like this from anyone else, I think its justified. Local rates in 3 countries and a local number in each.

2. Matt Siddall
    Meh

seems a bit pricy

1GB a month is not a lot, and the out of package data charges are - as always - eyewateringly steep. You say that it can be used to tether, but do so and your data use will go through the roof (and through the 1GB limit) quicker than you can say youtube.

3. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Not quite

I think once they've added France, Italy and Spain it will be worth a punt (for me anyway). I've always wondered why one of the more global operators didn't do this as a way of getting one over on their competitors, but I guess the roaming data racket is too appealing to them.

Hope this thing takes off. Being able to use data abroad would be excellent..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Vodafone has Data Traveller

Vodafone's DataTraveller has two options:

One costs you either £2/day for 5 or 25MB (depending on country) in Europe, or £5/day for 25MB elsewhere in the world.

The other is to choose a price plan above £40/month and get Data Traveller included FOC.

You can always use your iPad on WiFi with your iPhone personal hotspot switched on... :-)

4. Seamaster
    FAIL

Fail

You can get the same package from Three for less on a 30 day contract and roaming rates are the same.

1. Chad H.
      FAIL

Three

Have no presence in the USA, so no local rates there.

5. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Mushroom

Spherical Objects!

<RANT>

Bollox are they adding countries "soon". They have been saying that they are adding Spain soon for TWO F&@¿#º YEARS!!

They said that I can have 1 SIM, and recieve calls to a Spanish mobile number and English mobile number on the same SIM, and that calls made in England to UK numbers can automatically use the UK number, and calls in Spain to Spanish numbers can automatically use the Spanish number, and an end to being shafted roaming and having to redirect all my calls....

Even if I see it, I might not believe it now.

</RANT>

6. Spartacus
    WTF?

TRU

Toys-r-Us ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

AWS in the US

The problem I found with Truphone in the US is that they partner with T-Mobile who use a slightly different 3G frequency to the rest of the universe. You need AWS compatible equipment that can transmit on 1700MHz.

There aren't that many good devices that support AWS, the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 don't so you drop down to Edge when you use Truphone in America :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like