back to article Opera extends Speed Dial with Swordfish beta

Opera has released a new beta of its desktop browser, adding "extensions" to the Speed Dial page that appears each time you open a new browser tab. With the current stable version of Opera – version 11.10 – the Speed Dial page merely offers thumbnail links to off-visited webpages. With the new beta of version 11.50, you can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SteveBalmer
    Thumb Up

Very good it is too.

The made some impressive HTML5 core improvements too, and page loading speed is MASSIVELY improved over the already fast Opera 11.11.

1. ArmanX

I hope it works nicely...

The most recent change to the SpeedDial ("icons" instead of screenshots) works ok for the most part, but some websites don't have useful icons. That, and I got used to the various images of my various SpeedDial bookmarks... I'll get used to these, too, but I hope the change is less jarring.

1. SteveBalmer
        Thumb Up

If you don't like what the website offers as a logo

Then use this extension to set it to what you want...

https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/forcespeeddiallogos/1.3.2/?display=en

2. Neil Greatorex
    Happy

I concur with Mr. Balmer, it's very fast

Wish they'd get their heads around it at work though, where I'm forced to use Chrome :-(

Still, could be worse I suppose; FF or IE

3. Ruairi
    Angel

How long...

...before FF steal this feature?

1. Angus Ireland

Re: How long

There's been a SpeedDial extension for Fox for some time, and it's been able to show the weather in a dial for a while.

Besides, who needs extensions when you could just pop some JavaScript in the dial's address?

4. Chris 171
    Thumb Up

Long time listener.

In my limited testing, pics seem to be generally loading quicker which is nice.

I use Opera across all my devices already so yeah bias, but why such a genuinely good product remains in such small market share across the desktop market baffles me.

#opera #getsome

5. ScissorHands
    Facepalm

Not bad, but...

If all that is coming with 11.5 is this, Opera will be hopelessly behind. Where is my MathML, WebGL, HW rendering acceleration and Ragnarok parser?

1. SteveBalmer
      Stop

Opera behind?

I don't see how you figure that. It's HTML5 scores are up there with the best. And performance beats even hardware accelerated browsers, without the need for hardware acceleration. What it does arrive, it will crucify other browsers.

6. Antoinette Lacroix

Look again

MathML came with Opera 9.5, Ragarok was introduced in February. WebGL may take a few months - they have to develop for 8 Platforms, mind.

7. DuncanL
    Meh

Nintendo's lawyers would like a word...

So, the Wii's main app menu on a webpage then?

:)

8. Graham Bartlett

To (loosely) quote Terry Prachett

Why does every codename seem to be "Swordfish"?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like