back to article Apple floats iCloud for 'email, music, and beyond'

Apple is preparing beta versions of iOS 5.0 and Mac OS X Lion that hook into a service called iCloud, which will let users store and synchronize a wide range of data on Apple servers, according to report citing people familiar with the matter. Earlier this week, a separate report said that Apple had recently purchased the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

iTools .Mac MobileMe iCloud

You forgot two: iFad & iClod.

HTH, HAND :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

And when they run out of ideas...

iGiveUp

2. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

It is a crying shame...

Unfortunately, iCantbelieveitsnotbutter.com is already taken... that is a pity, as I am sure Apple could rebadge a tub of margerine, white of course, and sell it for 500$, complete with viral marketing on youtube.

The fix - sorry 'innovation' - that allows you to actually use it like butter would be released later, at at the marginal cost of 499$.

Two years later, they will release the compatible bread.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

iCloud

Didn't see that one coming.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

And

"through the Apple's MobileMe service, including email, bookmarks, contacts, and calendar events."

Don't forget location data

4. C0WB0Y

No end in sight

So... am I to assume that Apple fanbois can't see the value of a product or service unless is has an 'i' stuck on the front of it? Or, is it the case that any old sh*t can be passed off to Apple fanbois by the truckload as long as it gets the 'i' pre-fix?

When will this (i)nsanity™ end?

5. Rich 30

a

"including email, bookmarks, contacts, and calendar events."

I use Google.

That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"I use Google."

Well done, your medal is in the post.

That is all.

2. Richard Taylor 2
      Thumb Down

duhhhhh

been doing this for years

6. Alister

next week...

Apple sues the world for using the term "Cloud".

(prior art? Naah...)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

IQuit

I've used .mac, mobile me for a few years now and when I was constantly on the move, it came in very handy. I do hope they have something truly useful coming out, but I somehow doubt it. I'm expecting something where you don't have music, or the newer apps on your machine anymore. No packaging, no CDs, DVDs, no chance of selling it later. Their walled garden will add guard towers and razor wire now. You'll deposit your cash on the way in, and leave with nothing. I'm not a mac hater btw, I have a Mac Pro and mini and ditched windows back in 2005. But as Apple get ever richer and more successful, the software starts to resemble MS's crocks of shite more and more. Evil.

8. MrT

Tied into device OS...

... I wonder:

- will they exclude non-Apple cloud storage like Dropbox or Skydrive?

- how much they'll charge for subscribing to this version of a reinvented wheel?

- if the stuff stored will be mined using something like Genius? ("I see you have a lot of letters to lawyers stored on iCloud - would you like to buy "Bankrobber", "Know your rights" or "I fought the law" by The Clash")...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Bring on the HumanCentiPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYLThSw9DrA

10. deains
    Jobs Horns

A departure from tradition

Wait, Apple *bought* the domain name? Why didn't they just sue them for using Apple's trademark on "i" or something like that?

1. sleepy

Actually, Inter own "i".

Intel documents always used to have a small note at the beginning that "i" was Intel copyright and not to be used elsewhere.

11. Arctic fox
    Happy

Have they copywrighted it yet?

I mean the word "Cloud" must be something new, unique, shiny and magical that Apple has recently invented, mustn't it?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Extensions

Well if we have i-cloud perhaps we should have...

i-rain - the Arabic P2P service

i-Pissdown - the faster P2P service

i-Balls - the sport commentator service

i-patch - the security software supplier

etc

1. Alister
      Coat

i-patch - the security software supplier

I'd have thought i-patch would be the perfect trademark for a piracy website...

Thank you, the one with the cutlass in the pocket...

13. WinHatter
    Pint

iCould

do without.

14. nsld
    Paris Hilton

Only one shiny new data centre

Before anyone commits to the iCloud they might want to ask where the second billion dollar data centre for disaster recovery is.

You wouldnt want to be putting all your eggs in one iBasket would you?

Paris, she understands the benefits of doubling up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Redundant Datacenters...

The service will be hosted from data centers on both coasts, not just the new one in NC.

1. nsld

Really?

Do they have the DC capacity to do that?

Given the scale of the new one, your going to need a lot of space in the other centre(s) to provide full DR

15. Andy Watt
    Stop

Funbois three

Are only apple fans funbois?

16. JB

Keep it up!

That's it, Apple - keep trying until you get the right answer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

And?

Is n't that the right thing to do? Keep trying? Or do you just give up and put up with the MS or Linux "almost-right" answer?

17. Kevin7
    Stop

Hope it's better than MobileMe

As a former MobileMe customer I hope it's better than their previous offering. I found MobileMe to be rather sparse and many of its features available elsewhere for less or indeed nothing. When you're competing with someone offering services for nothing you have to be pretty outstanding to get people to pay. I found MobileMe anything but outstanding so I think iCloud will have to be really special to get me to pay again.

18. Select * From Handle
    Joke

Incoming lawsuits against

any company promoting cloud services once fanbois start giving apple money for this... i am sure apple have some patent for the turm iCloud and anything that is remotely similar...

19. Chris Sanderson

Would of been interested a few weeks back...

but I've given up all hope or trust of Apple sync services.

Firstly, whilst out and about my contacts where all deleted without warning, third time to happen in a few months, quite annoying. So I contacted apple and they told me I should restore from a back up at home. I said I would if I was at home, but the point of having mobileme is that I sometimes leave home and in this case I was away for the whole week. So the put me onto a senior anaylst.

They got in touch and after 2 days decided they could restore my contacts but they'd have to change the password on my account. I say ok, a day later, they change it and send me the new password, but it doesn't work... result, mobileme completely not functioning at all now with new or with old password.

In the end I had to fix it myself and I'm now shopping around to see if I can untangle myself from the Apple ecosystem. Big shame but syncing across all my devices is a key important useful feature for me which I need to trust in and just work.

end of long story? I won't be buying anything from Apple again for the purpose of syncing data as they don't care and don't agree with me when I say it is not reasonable for a sync service to randomly delete data without any kind of trace because it feels like it

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like