back to article YouTube to launch paid video-on-demand service

YouTube is reportedly poised to launch a paid streaming movie-on-demand service with the okay of a number of Hollywood studios. Speculation suggests that the service may launch next week however neither Google nor YouTube have responded to the claims. Sony Pictures Entertainment, Warner Brothers, Universal and a raft of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Hmm..

I wonder if the video on demand movie service will go over as well as the movie rental? Which despite using Youtube frequently I've never heard of.

2. lIsRT
    Thumb Down

Proxy Required

Based on what some other news sites are saying, it looks like it will be US only.

1. Richard 81

D'oh

That makes (crazy studio) sense from a licensing point of view.

It'll stunt its growth though.

2. Macka

That's ok for now.

It would be useless over here anyway unless Google bundled it with a broadband package of their own, where the content didn't contribute to your month's "fair use" limits.

3. Turtle_Fan
    Paris Hilton

So.... What's different this time?

So, will that be a Netflix look-alike or a hulu clone? In either case what's the big deal?

And if it's regionally restricted (I can't see the studios allowing it any other way) then what's the point?

Paris, for want of a confused icon.

1. 4HiMarks
      FAIL

this time?

Sounds more like a clone of VUDU, but without the STB. Oh wait, VUDU doesn't have an STB anymore either. And you can get it in a browser, now too.

4. Jonjonz
    Thumb Down

Selfserving Opportunist at Work

Nothing but a selfserving opportunist at work here. He thinks this will get him a bonus or a better job. It will amount to a row of beans.

5. fireman sam

Hmmmm

Frankly my dear, I don't give a.... buffering, buffering, buffering

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like