back to article Motorola pushes laptop-dock Android phone at Brits

Orange has the UK exclusive on Motorola's netbook-powering Atrix Android smartphone, the US phone maker has confirmed. The Atrix is a 1GHz dual-core handset with 1GB of Ram and 16GB of on-board Flash storage to which you can add the contents of a 32GB Micro SD card if you wish. It's just 11mm thick and has a "qHD" 960 x 540, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AlexH
    WTF?

Why is the dock there?

For my money, the obvious place to dock the phone would have been where the trackpad is, and use the phone as a trackpad and possibly secondary display of some sort. How they've got it just looks clunky and needlessly increases the footprint of the whole setup.

1. BorkedAgain
      Pint

You, sir, are extremely clever.

That is all.

2. Pooka

Some title... not sure what...

I'd also be concerned about some rapscallion walking past and just pulling it out and doing a runner.....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Good idea but...

Looks like they wanted to make the "dock" extremely thin, which would preclude your suggestion. IDK

Still, they could have done some kind of arrangement so it sits in sight and can act as a secondary display or input device.

2. dogged

This sounds like a brilliant piece of kit

Shame about Orange. They simply don't cover the area where I live. At all.

3. paul 97

Innovation

Good to see some innovation. I expect the price will put it out of my reach however.

4. Ben Rosenthal
    FAIL

Orange....

......shower of arse, hope it can do a lot of offline tricks.

5. NumptyScrub
    Unhappy

exclusives are annoying

I was thinking of one of these when my next upgrade comes due (it was more appealing than the LG Optimus 2x), but I'm not on Orange, and I have no intention of switching to Orange. Am I a demographic that manufacturers no longer care about?

1. david 63

Yes...

...from the manufacturers point of view a tie in means lower cost of sale, lower first and second line support.

Why the hell would they want to be bothered direct customers.

Not good for the customers but great for the manufacturers and phone companies who can get customers signed up for a couple of years on the basis of a bit of bling hardware.

From someone who is never going to 'buy' tie-in hardware again.

6. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

No customer here then

I buy my gadgets outright. I don't want some git in a cellphone customer making my choices for me. Exclusive == Unavailable in my book.

Pity, this is quite a neat thing. Although AlexH ought to patent his idea quickly.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"don't cover the area where I live"

If it's just about coverage, how about T-Mobile where you are? Orange and T-Mobile now have a network-sharing deal; it seems to work (for me).

On the other hand if it's about exclusivity as well as coverage, that doesn't help.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like