back to article Short domain land-rush coming to .uk

Nominet is to make thousands of super-short .uk web addresses available for as little as £10 each in a "land rush", due to kick off next month. The .uk manager will release 2,640 previously reserved one- and two-character .co.uk, .org.uk, .net.uk and .me.uk domain names, starting 23 May. Many single-letter and single-number …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

honest gov

Can I register these please:

coop.org.uk

coop.net.uk

coop.me.uk

I want to create a phishing site for The Co-operative Bank ...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: honest gov

You should be able to get those, just say you're a chicken farmer.....

2. Alister

aa?

Why was American Airlines awarded a .co.uk domain - surely it should have been the Automobile Association which is at least a UK based organisation. (Or Alcoholics Anonymous, but they're international aren't they?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

easy

American Airlines got it because:

1) they have a special website for UK customers with UK content: http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/homePage.do?locale=en_GB

2) they paid more at auction for it

2. Blake St. Claire
      Pirate

That's the Royal Auto Club

So why would RAC want aa.co.uk when they've already got rac.co.uk and presumably everyone knows them by that name? Is there another auto association in the UK?

(It's Auto Association in NZ and ZA, and they've got aa.co.nz and aa.co.za. Oz has aaa.asn.au – cute a whole TLD for associations. But at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, NZ and ZA ain't Blighty.)

1. Another Ben

No it isn't

RAC, formerly the Royal Automabils Club: www.rac.co.uk

AA, the Automobile Association: www.theaa.com

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

whois fix required

whois kc.net.uk

[Querying whois.nic.uk]

[whois.nic.uk]

Error for "kc.net.uk".

This domain cannot be registered because it contravenes the Nominet UK

naming rules. The reason is:

third-level domains may not comprise two alphabetic characters.

WHOIS lookup made at 11:25:36 19-Apr-2011

me.uk fails with same error, co.uk works, org.uk works!

whois ic.net.uk however works as it is registered.

so it looks like nominets whois servers are returning the message,

1. Number6

Almost...

If you try one of the ones that has been assigned then it does return the details - the sites mentioned in the article work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The WHOIS is not broken

The WHOIS is behaving as expected. As documented on the Nominet website (http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/reserved/registrarsinfo/) this will not be updated to allow two letter domains until the reserved domain process is complete.

This means that the WHOIS will display the "naming rules" message for any two letter domain which has not yet been registered. The ones which you say "work" have already been registered, so the normal domain information is displayed for those.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never Seen the Point

I've never seen the point of a very short domain name unless it is actually your company name.

bt.com for example makes sense while y.co.uk doesn't. I know Yahoo! have been known the throw Y! around as a logo, but nobody calls them Y, they call them Yahoo.

People who don't know the URL for a company's website is likely to either try the full company name or use a search engine. Indeed the search engine route is probably more common. How many people are going to try the first letter or maybe first two letters of the company name?

1. John Riddoch

redirects

Bear in mind the proliferation of shortened links for redirects (e.g. bit.ly); if Yahoo! can grab a piece of that market, they get some data from the requests which can be datamined to potentially help search results.

2. Just Thinking

When did they get to own the letter y?

I agree that it might be counter-productive for Yahoo to use y.co.uk as their domain, but if they want to bid for it, let them, its their money.

But why on earth did they Yahoo get priority? y.co.uk could be a lucrative domain name, similar to ask.com, which other companies might have wanted to bid for. Unlike bt, which is strongly associated with a large company to the extent that it could hardly mean anything else, y is just a letter which happens to pun with why.

5. Ben Bawden

What are my chances

of getting bb.co.uk?

That would be nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

you sound like a reputable person...

...selling BB ammo. So should be fine.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

AA

maybe now theaa.co.uk will finally be known as aa.co.uk

1. <user />
      FAIL

Nah

Not if American Airlines have owt to do with it.

RTFA!

7. copsewood

@AC 19/4/11 10:31

The point of a short domain name is to be memorable and easier to type. Sure, many people don't bother and use search engines for websites, but that needs good keywords which can be promoted by other parties. Given the explosion of use of mobile internet devices with crummy keyboards, having short and memorable domain names is more important than ever before. Also if you have to input email addresses in such devices quite frequently search engines won't help with that.

8. Neil C Burns
    FAIL

aa. fools co.uk =american. pah

why???

aa.co.uk was won by American Airlines -

this should have rightly gone to our uk automobile association??

aa.co.uk given to a american company, PAH!!!!!!

1. XMAN

Wasn't given away

I think you're perhaps misunderstanding the process. During the sunrise period, anyone could submit an application for why they think they should get the domain. If a domain received more than one application, it went to auction. So American Airlines have the domain because they bid the highest. It wasn't given to them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

it's not our AA

> this should have rightly gone to our uk automobile association

The AA demutualised just over 10 years ago and was bought by Centrica (which once upon a time was called British Gas). Centrica sold it on to a private equity firm. So it belongs to them. It's their AA, not yours or mine. Last time I looked, the AA merged with Saga and was being lined up for a flotation on the stock market.

Oh and most of the time it's first-come, first-served when there are competing demands for the same domain name. Bank of America is rather pissed off that British Airways got first dibs on ba.com.

9. Ben Norris

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

its the 4th emergency airline

1. BorkedAgain
      Stop

Yeah...

I understand the Coastguard (the *real* 4th emergency service) were a trifle miffed by that particular advertising slogan. Nice to see the meme being reinforced...

1. Daf L

4th Emergency Service

Aren't Mountain Rescue the 'REAL' 4th emergency service?

Or the RNLI?

Or Cave Rescue?

Or ALSAR?

Or SARDA?

Or RAF SAR?

Or... anyone of the other 999 emergency services outside the main 3?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I want

fu.com

1. Flybert
      Boffin

perhaps you should buy that

from Fu Associates .. Edward Y. Fu .. who has own the domain since 1994

unless you are just advertising for him ..

of course your joke makes little sense as the domains mentioned are not .com TLD

11. Mr Nobody 1

Looking forward to....

fc.uk

12. Herby

Wrong place

fc.uk is wrong... It should be in .xxx:

fc.uk.xxx

1. Dave Bell

Was that a joke?

I understand that "fcuk" is a well-known clothing brand in the UK

But fc.uk couldn't be a valid domain name.

And if you want me to wear a t-shirt advertising the brand, you shall have to pay me. My hourly rate is quite modest.

13. moraji

Been looking through some of the one-letter domains

There seems to be quite a distinct split between domains that have gone to the appropriate people (can't see anyone arguing with q.co.uk going to Q magazine for instance) and domains that have been snapped up by seemingly opportunistic companies with no real claim as far as I can see (z.co.uk went to Zurich insurance, c.co.uk to some content writing company, u.co.uk seems to go to a link farm...). If I was Nominet I think I would have been a bit more selective in who I gave these domains out to.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like