back to article Porsche punts e-car pre-orders

Porsche is now taking orders for its plug-in hybrid 918 Spyder sportscar, if you have €645,000 (£562,000) lying around. Porsche 918 Spyder That's before the extra 20 per cent George Osborne now makes you cough up, though he may, of course, give you five grand toward the cost of the vehicle, thanks to the government's e-car …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey
    Troll

Mmmm preddy

Does it come in "just petrol" flavour?

1. Annihilator

Yes

The 918 RSR. It does have a whopping big KERS system though, I think in the form of a flywheel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've always wondered...

... how they counteract the gyroscopic action of the flywheel. I mean in my head, I can see the car coming up to a bend, the wheel being turned, but the car a carries on going straight ahead. Oh and it can balance on a pen tip :p

1. Annihilator
          Boffin

@Dibbley

Easy - you either have two linked flywheels to counteract the angular momentum, or you mount it on gimbals. On the other hand (as you almost hinted at) you can use it to your advantage and actually help keep the car balanced.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

".... if you have €645,000 (£562,000) lying around."

<Checks sock drawer>

Ok, that one's busted. Time for Plan B: Does *anyone else* have something over half-a-million quid lying around that they don't want?

1. Fluffykins Silver badge

<Stands in front of sock drawer>

No

2. Thomas 4

Hmm

Does it have to be in a sock drawer?

1. pullenuk
        Unhappy

Checks sofa

None inside or under the old sofa. Doubt the new one tomorrow will have anything either.

2. Annihilator
        Coat

Does it have to be a sock drawer

Yes, as most potential owners of this car will also own a large collection of socks to roll up and place inside their trousers...

3. Alex Walsh

Socks

Am I the only person that actually keeps socks in his sock drawer?

4. Jad
      Unhappy

Wait a sec ...

Here it is ...

Oh, no. I forgot. This old VAX kit isn't worth what we paid for it.

5. thesykes
      Happy

A spare half million?

Yes TeeCee I have... unfortunately it's currently held in the National Bank of Nigeria, if you'd just send me £2,000, to arrange for it's release, I'll have the money with you... err... soon...

3. pullenuk
    Unhappy

<checks sofa>

Not enough here either sorry...

(Anyway if I found half a million quid I buy a house, sort the wedding out and go on a nice honeymoon lol)

4. miknik
    Go

Bargain

Once you have driven it into London every day for 213 years it will have paid for itself in congestion charge savings alone!

5. Robert E A Harvey

easy, there

So saving the planet, is down to rich people then? Good. I'm busy with just paying the bills as it is.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

We've come a long ways...

We've come a long ways from those first hybrids that looked like boxes with wheels. This is most certainly a hybrid that you wouldn't be embarrased to show off.

Oh... and it gets good gas milage too.

7. Alex Walsh

did some sums

I reckon you'd need to do around 2.4m miles in this thing to make the cost saving over a 911 Turbo back in saved petrol costs. Pricey.

This topic is closed for new posts.