Badges for Commentards

Today we introduce badges for commentards. This feature will be rolling out over the next few hours. Check out our story here.

This topic was created by Drewc .

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Any sign of my Silver badge?

A gold badge? I'd have absolutely no ambitions in that area at all. I'm probably at the time in my commentard career that I'd be looking forward to spending more time with my family. However, if one's friends were to persuade one that the best way one could serve the great institution that is El Reg was as a Gold Badge owner, then one would, reluctantly of course, be willing to take on the responsibility.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Gold Badges Was: Any sign of my Silver badge?

I thought for a long time Gold badges weren't being issued. But I'm sure I've started to see new people with Gold badges. Are they now being issued?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

For such a prolific poster (& Reg Forums hacker) I'd have thought you'd have gained a platinum badge by now!

2. Marco Fontani

Yeah, as the original story explains, badges are currently given to users who have created their account more than a year ago (along with other restrictions); gold badges are still manually granted by staff.

I cannot confirm nor deny having received any cheques.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

@ 1980s_coder (was: Is there any way of seeing the up and down vote totals for other users?)

Why bother? Do you honestly think thumbs matter in this forum?

Discuss.

Happy

Re: @ 1980s_coder (was: Is there any way of seeing the up and down vote totals for other users?)

I would have liked to have seen Eden's Up/Down counts before being booted off!

1. jake Silver badge

@ A Non e-mouse(was: Re: @ 1980s_coder (was: Is there any way of seeing the up and down::snip::))

"I would have liked to have seen "JRandomUser's"[0] Up/Down counts before being booted off!"

Honestly? Does it really matter? Why? Some kind of vicarious "us geeks vanquished the vandal in our forum" kind of thing? Do you honestly think that your up or down thumbs have any impact on who is or isn't allowed to post here on ElReg?

[0] Actual name elided because it's not germane to the discussion.

2. jake Silver badge

was: (@ 1980s_coder (Re: @ 1980s_coder (was: Is there any way of seeing the up and down vote))

"It does seem odd, however, that everybody can see their own posting statistics, but only see the total number of posts made by another user, and not the up and down vote totals."

Frankly, I couldn't care too much less (and that's a rather minute quantity) about who can view my posts, nor how many of them I have made.

Why, exactly, do you want to see thumbs up/down for other posters? What value is it to you? Consider for a second ... I can downvote every post you have made here on ElReg. And can do it again tomorrow. And again on Thursday. The entire concept of "thumbs" here on ElReg was probably invented to keep the fanbois thumbs-downing instead of wasting the time of the moderators.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: was: (@ 1980s_coder (@ 1980s_coder (was: Is there any way of seeing the up and down vote))

"To know whether I am 'typical' or not, just that really. But I already know that I'm not, so..."

... so why ask? Does it matter?

"Oh, it's you who is doing it, is it?"

No. I did it once, years ago, to prove a point. And still regret it.

"So now the moderators have more time to moderate your posts."

Perhaps they just want to be "first" to read my musings. Who knows.

"By the way, you haven't commented on this story yet, which is in need of some creative comments."

Done. Well, you DID ask ...

3. Grikath

He who shall not be namerrrrmmm.....

Well when it comes to Eadon, I do not think anyone currently active can garner so much...passion.. and translate it into thumbs, regardless of direction. ( no, not even you , Jake.. :P )

I do think/remember he has been the only one to have reached Gold status [ with gold status set to Editors' Pick or "this is ridiculous"-amounts] at some stage, simply because of the amount of downvotes he got on his posts. On a good day he could hit a couple 100 downvotes, per post.

He really moved the posts when it comes to "tinfoil hattery" and "internet warrior" to near unachievable heights over here.

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: He who shall not be namerrrrmmm.....

I sometimes notice single downvotes on a row of consecutive posts for no apparent reason. Maybe somebody tries to say "you all suck" or something like that.

4. MyffyW Silver badge

Dear El Reg,

I've been ever such a good commentard (well most of the time) and my peers have now upvoted me 2000 times. Please could I have my silver badge?

It would mean ever so much to me.

Love and hugs,

MyffyW

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Thank you, though I think my new status puts me within the bounds of your SELECT statement from a month or so ago.

The less said about the sort criteria the better :-)

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Thank you @DrewC - you've made my Friday

5. raving angry loony

Upvotes only?

I just noticed that for silver you need "2000 upvotes". But nothing about downvotes. Just because someone posts something unpopular doesn't make it false. You're encouraging a typical echo chamber where people only post what they know others will already approve of. Rather than being shit-disturbing muck rakers who MAKE people think about what the hell it is they're reading.

Biting the hand that feeds you rarely garners upvotes. You're only rewarding the kind of behaviour that you yourself decry in other publications. Popularity should never be the sole measure of validity or rewards, especially amongst geeks, nerds, and muck raking journalists.

How about requiring that people also have a certain number of downvotes, just to make sure they're not just agreeable Milquetoasts who just jump on popularity inspired bandwagons rather than put any mental effort into what they post.

(what, you think it's EASY being a raving angry loony?)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Upvotes only?

A badge was suggested for "achieving" 2,000 downvotes. I think it was going to be brown...

1. jake Silver badge

@ I ain't Spartacus (was: Re: Upvotes only?)

Bring on my Brown Badge![0] ... I had well over 4,000 downvotes from a single serial downvoter around 10 years ago. The CowardlyAC[1] seemed to think it could intimidate me into leaving with the obviously bloody useless "thumbs". Didn't seem to work all that well. ;-)

Nobody ever owned up to it, but I still feel very sorry for it's useless fit.

[0] Can we have both gold/silver/bronze and brown, side-by-side? Pretty please? Or are only official ElReg commentards allowed to have two icons?

[1] "CAC", an AC that cowardly serially downvotes (an) individual(s) without owning up to it publicaly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @ I ain't Spartacus (was: Upvotes only?)

Yes, ridiculous that some people see fit to vote down a load of posts in a user's profile to prove a point, isn't it [jJ]ake?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @ I ain't Spartacus (was: Upvotes only?)

Was it you?

He did say it was an AC wot done it! ;o)

...come to think of it.. ..it could well have been me..

2. Blank-Reg
      Holmes

Steamy brown badge? Could be useful

Though, you have a point about the up/downvotes tending to build an echo chamber. Moving away from them and using a wider range of ratings perhaps? For example:

- Dislike

- Informative

- Twaddle

- I want your babies

- Idiot

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I'd like (heh, here we go again) something along the lines of 'agree / disagree' in addition to the thumbs up/down option.

I like (or dislike) a joke, but I agree (or disagree) with a statement/point/argument/etc.

Plus this is quite often mixed - I agree with the point made as such, but thoroughly dislike the way it has been made in. Or vice versa. You get the general idea.

2. raving angry loony

ref: like / dislike / informative / twaddle / babies / idiot

The above should be checkboxes not radio buttons. The categories are not mutually exclusive.

1. jake Silver badge

Or perhaps the entire concept of "thumbs/voting/whatever" is bloody useless?

6. TonyJ

Just realised...

...I've crossed the 2,000 upvote line. Is that all that's required or are downvotes subtracted? :)

If it's all that's required...pretty please may I have my silver badge. I like meaningless trinkets like that ;-)

1. Dr Spork
      Unhappy

Re: Just realised...

It's certainly not 2000 upvotes in total. I've over 6000 upvotes (net) and never had a (worthless) silver badge.. Just reluctantly traded my (worthless) bronze badge in for a new moniker which (hopefully) won't make me cringe quite so much. What's puzzling me is why changing my name got me on the naughty stool... Losing the (worthless) badge I can understand - some small inducement to retain an identity for the sake of "community" or suchlike - but why the naughty stool? Are they expecting me to be so overwhelmed with excitement that I'll be rendered unable to contain some long suppressed latent urge to splaff profanity laden spam? Or have they so much time on their hands at Vulture Towers that there's nothing better to do than "moderate" the banal whiterings of people who've been splaffing away here for years without incident?

My permission to post trivial "advanced" tags has been revoked too, which also seems needlessly harsh :(

<b>Baffled</b>

7. Sebastian A

Ohhh, I came across this thread while trying to find out why I have a little bronze badge by my name, but if the info is still correct I may soon be progressing to silver.

(My first instinct was to hover or click the badge to find out what it meant. Had to google it in the end.)

1. Marco Fontani

The "House rules" link explains the house rules, and the badges; see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/01/register_comments_guidelines/

8. TonyJ

Think they've given up on them.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Aha. Well, that's that cleared up, isn't it?

9. asdf

dang it

Crossed the 5000 downvote barrier just slightly before the 15000 upvote barrier. I blame heavy trolling in my early days and my frequent EU potshots.

10. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Where can you see what your progess status is like on your badge?

1. GrumpenKraut
      Pint

Apart from looking at "your posts", giving the number of upvotes? I don't know.

Ha! Beer o'clock.

11. Novex
    Unhappy

I've just gone past 2000, and pretty sure I didn't get many upvotes on my only Anonymous Coward entry, so I'm not sure quite why the Silver Badge hasn't appeared...

1. Novex
      Happy

Ah, that's better. Silver Badge came though overnight.

1. Marco Fontani

> Silver Badge came though overnight.

Yup, gets run daily in the morning. so if one day you have the prerequisites, the next you'll be granted them!

12. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Amazing Soon be 6 years.

27 Nov 2012. We kick off with three badges: bronze, silver and gold.

Does "kick off" imply more kinds of badges?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Amazing Soon be 6 years.

Have there been any more gold badges issued in that time? Or are they still internal only, plus the first few hand-picked pets? If the later, what is the point of the badge system?

Do we need steenkin' badges?

1. Kaltern

Re: Amazing Soon be 6 years.

I like my badge. Although I'd quite like a black badge... shadow ops, here to stir up dissent and discussion. Or aomething like that.... :P

13. jason 7

Just wondering where my silver badge went?

Had it pretty much since the badges came out but I think it vanished about a year ago.

Doesn't appear next to my name. I don't think I've done anything naughty.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Just wondering where my silver badge went?

You've slipped below 100 posts in the last 12 months. Should be easy enough to "fix", should you have a mind to do so. For more, scroll down to "Forums FAQ" on this page.

1. jason 7

Re: Just wondering where my silver badge went?

Ahhh that's okay. As long as it wasn't anything personal! I haven't posted as much probably cos the world is just so damn depressing.

Thanks for letting me know.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon