Badges for Commentards

Today we introduce badges for commentards. This feature will be rolling out over the next few hours. Check out our story here.

This topic was created by Drewc .

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

Out of curiosity ...

I understand the numbers game for bronze & silver.

But gold? Has anybody (outside of ElReg new-hires, who don't count) ever received a gold badge since the inception of badges? If yes, how & why. If not, what's the point of gold badges?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Out of curiosity ...

I haven't noticed any new ones around, so I don't think there are any more. And only some of the staff seem to have been given one. I suspect they've forgotten about them, and that they could give more out if they felt like it.

They could do it like nightclub bouncers. One in, one out...

2. Blitterbug
    Unhappy

Where's my vulture?

I seem to have lost my bronze badge thingy - any reason for this?

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

Re: Where's my vulture?

Same here, mines gone AWOL (argh! worn out liver? XD)

2. Efros
      Unhappy

Yours seems to have returned Blitterbug, I've only just noticed my bronze vulture has gone AWOL.

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Efros, Omgwtfbbqtime:

ISTR something about the criteria only applying over some particular length of time before now.

I think it means we're now regarded as "stale" and are being encouraged to post more upvote-worthy thoughts.

Perhaps we should be represented by some sort of baked good that's obviously past its best?

Yep, it's 100 posts over the preceeding year. So what El Reg giveth, El Reg taketh away. I seem to recall they said they were just going to award the badges and not take them away again, but I'd guess it's way down the priorities list, and so hasn't happened.

Perhaps if you all sued for mental distress?

As one of the privileged elite, I don't think this affects me. Certainly when I got my 1,000th upvote, I was expecting my badge to be de-goldified and ensilvered. But it didn't - so maybe I'm safe from the indignity of demotion, should I stop posting for a bit.

3. Someone Else Silver badge
    Happy

Badges? We need our Steenkin' Badges!

Hello, Drew-

I believe I've qualified for an upgrade to Silver...

4. Vimes

I'm wondering how many upvotes I need before I'm upgraded with silverly goodness.

The current tally shows the total me as a user but not the current alias I've been using, so finding this out does not seem to be currently possible since badges are associated with aliases not actual members (unless of course I've missed a link or something that could answer this question for me).

5. Haku
    Happy

Just got upgraded to silver!

*struts around wearing shiny new badge*

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

Re: Just got upgraded to silver!

Congrats

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please can I be ennobled

What does one need to do to get a bronze badge around here? I think I meet the qualifying standard....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Please can I be ennobled

Hello Hadvar - any day now! Badges are attached to handles - you changed yours on 8 Nov 2013.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Please can I be ennobled

Gotcha. T'was the '$days_with_same_handle > 365' bit that was escaping me. Thanks Drew.

7. Red Bren
    Windows

Licence Revoked

Can anyone confirm or deny if the 100 posts/year threshold still applies for keeping a badge? I'm just not as active as I used to be, especially as my employer seems to think that El Reg comments should be blacklisted as some kind of web forum* but I don't want to lose the kudos of the badge.

Rather than having to go through my own posting history and counting how many posts I've made in the past 12 months, could El Reg provide some kind of early warning indication that such apathy was about to be punished?

* Of course if El Reg didn't put the comments under a different URL containing the rather obvious "forums", I might get around to a bit more cyberloafing...

Re: Licence Revoked

I can confirm that what the vulture giveth, the vulture taketh away again. If you fall out of the 100 posts within the last calendar year group, the vulture will swoop down upon thee, cawing madly, and mercilessly rip the badge from your bleeding chest.

I think there's about 50 comments to a page on your post history. So go back 2 pages, and see what the dates are - and that will tell you if you're in danger of de-badgification.

8. Lusty

Is there a way to find out how many non anon upvotes I've had? The suspense is killing me ever since I passed 2k!

9. TonyJ

Do I qualify yet?

Looking back through my posts, I've met the criteria for time (and then some!) but I think I've also got more than 100 non-anonymous posts over the last 12 months.

Do I get a badge yet, El Reg? Do I? Do I...??? :-)

Oh and if not...why/how much effort is left on my part?

1. TonyJ

Re: Do I qualify yet?

No one at the reg monitoring this thread any more, or giving out the badges any more? I'd have thought it would be automatic for bronze and silver?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

silver?

Ahoy. My bronze badge is now looking a bit tattered. Bronze is also not really matching my summer wardrobe, which, although it's still smelling of moth balls, would match a silver badge way better than my grubby, slightly rusty bronze badge. Any chance of an upgrade?

11. M Gale

Used to have a silver badge. I know I haven't changed my name. Guess it goes if you don't make 100 posts a year!

12. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

@1980s_coder

"El Reg forums are supposed to be a fun way for commentards to interact with other commentards, exchange useful information, (and innuendo), and generally relax and be happy."

Assumes facts not in evidence, judging by the quantity of my on-topic, by-the-forum-rules posts which have been rejected by an apparently immoderate moderator over the last several months.

"If you are obsessing over your status, posting count, upvote to downvote ratio, or anything else, please, step back and ask yourself whether you are taking it all too seriously."

Agree. So-called "badges" and "thumbs" are both a bloody useless metric, as implemented here on ElReg.

"Oh, and if you really are obsessed, check out the perl script I posted in another thread, that lets you track your posting statistics in quasi-real time."

Writing said code suggests obsessiveness. Physician, heal thyself.

1. jake Silver badge

Oh, how cute. (was:Re: @1980s_coder)

One of my fanbois has decided to downvote every post I've made in the last couple weeks (or so). One wonders if the fanboi doesn't understand WHY, exactly, it is demonstrating that ElReg's "thumbs" isn't exactly a useful metric?

1. Vimes

Re: Oh, how cute. (was:@1980s_coder) @jake

Personally I would have thought anybody sufficiently narcissistic to want this sort of attention is not going to care whether they get up votes or down votes - as long as they get votes.

Perhaps they'd see them as some sort of geek equivalent of marbles? They care more about the size of their collection rather than the type of each vote?

Ignoring somebody would be a bigger insult in that situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, how cute. (was:@1980s_coder) @jake

Yeah, I hear what you chaps say. But, ignoring your mature, sensible attitude to this matter, my inner Veruca Salt is bored with her golden ticket and now wants a silver badge. And of course, I'd like the cash prize that goes with it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TonyJ

Re: Oh, how cute. (was:@1980s_coder)

"One of my fanbois has decided to downvote every post I've made in the last couple weeks (or so)."

Possibly because a lot of what you reply with has often seemed to be posted just to be contentious?

2. TonyJ

"How difficult is it to post 100 comments in a year? I've posted over 800 in the last two months, and had more than 3000 upvotes in the same time span."

I'd prefer to have a life.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Aww! Re: Jake

You've got a down-voting groupee!

Congratulations!!

What did you post to earn their ire?

I've been trying for years and still no foamy mouthed down-vote happy obsessive stalker...

1. jake Silver badge

@ 1980s_coder (was:Re: Aww! Jake)

"Since you WANT a downvote, I'm going to UPVOTE your post just to be irritating."

How old are you? 13?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: @ 1980s_coder (was:Aww! Jake)

1) It's vi, not VI. CaSe is kinda important in *nix environments, newb.

2) ElReg refuses to allow me to answer the vi question directly. Hint: Think .rc files, and how they might "accidentally" become edited.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: @ 1980s_coder (was:Aww! Jake)

"ElReg refuses to allow me to answer the vi question directly"

A lot of El Reg staffers are vim users (me included.)

C.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Aww! Jake

"What did you post to earn their ire?"

40ish years in IT. Trenches, management, marketing and consluting. Eightish years posting here on ElReg under this name, and telling it like it is.

Seems the fanbois don't like reality.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Aww! Jake

consluting

Sounds more fun than my job...

13. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mage Silver badge
      Pint

re: Another thing

You are in need of the opposite of dried frog pills.

1. Mage Silver badge
          Coat

Re: re: Another thing

You're over thinking it.

Rehydrated dried frog pills have same effect as dried ones, but quickly rot.

Checks pocket for dried hyena pills.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: re: Another thing

Why would you dry frogs in any way, shape, or form? They are quite plentiful, even here in drought-stricken California. Fettuccine with frog's legs & browned-butter sage sauce. Yummy! Especially now, we can toss in a handful of freshly harvested cherry tomatoes & a bit of Basil. Fresh bread & homemade butter ... Chow doesn't get much better than that.

If you prefer, I can offer you a couple of ton(ne)s of road apples ...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any sign of my Silver badge?

The original post says "bronze + 2000 upvotes = silver". I'm languishing.....languishing I tells ya, on bronze, when I have more than 2100 thumbs up to my credit. First, I was bitterly disappointed to be overlooked *yet again* in the Birthday Honours list (thanks a lot Liz), and now this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any sign of my Silver badge?

It's arrived. And it's shiny. Many thanks!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon