Ye Bug List

Shaun's tried to post this on the Boot's thread: Philosophy is not dead, it just smells funny. I see an "Approve" and "Reject" buttons - not sure why - but Approve doesn't work. Did it trip a spam checker?

This topic was created by Andrew Orlowski .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Marco Fontani

Re: Website unusable at the moment

Specifically the NetApp animation, that takes about 3 minutes to load.

I've alerted our ad/ops team to this, thanks for your report!

1. Barry Rueger

Edit Forum posts

Am I just thick, or is the claim of a ten minute window to edit posts just a myth.

I've looked, and fail to find anything that would allow editing.

Or is that not for users of the mobile site?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

Re: Edit Forum posts

While we're on the subject is there any chance of increasing the length of the editing window for people that have proven themselves in your eyes to be reasonably responsible? There have been a few occasions where I wanted to make some innocuous changes after the 10 minutes - typos mostly - but have been unable to do so because of this rather arbitrary limit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In a sense all limits are arbitrary. What do you think is a reasonable time?

I think the 10 minutes tidying up window is reasonable compromis between no edit (c.f. Twitter) and perpetual edit (c.f. Facebook).

I am wary of perpetual edits as readers can misuse to rewrite posts to undermine arguments made by others.

1. Vic

I am wary of perpetual edits as readers can misuse to rewrite posts to undermine arguments made by others.

The bigger problem, IME, is spammers coming in and making innocuous posts, then editing them a week later when they think no-one's looking...

Vic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Currently it is not enabled on m.thereg - it is a trivial client-side change though. We'll put it on our to do list.

2. jake Silver badge

Odd HTML error.

See the thread starting with this post:

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/3241916

It's self explanatory, so I won't re-invent the wheel beyond saying that I didn't insert the extra HTML at the end of that link, and it wasn't there when I first posted it.

1. jake Silver badge

Missed the edit window by a minute ...

No need to reply to the above, just documenting weirdness.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd HTML error.

Weird

3. Marco Fontani

Re: Odd HTML error.

I've tracked this down. Your original submitted text contained newlines at the end of the href, just before the ending double quote… which in turn later made the auto-paragraphs feature spit out horribly invalid HTML.

I've "fixed" your original post, and I've made it so that newlines found within those hrefs now constitute an error.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

An odd bug that just caused me to double-post on the latest Bong thread. Hit post, nothing happened. Went back to thread, nothing showing, hit the browser back button to get to my post, and re-submitted. Still nothing. Then a minute later, two posts. So deleted one, and edited a speeeling mistake in the duplicate, and neither have updated.

Will this post?

Edit: Test-edited another post in that thread, and it didn't initially show up. So this is a test to see if it's a thread-specific problem?

Edit 2: Ye But List seems to work as expected. But that Bong! thread has now deleted both of my duplicate posts. Could just be a minor connection problem, or a mis-setting on that article. I'm on Win 10 with latest Firefox.

Edit 3: Seems to be working again now. Must be a weird connection issue, so you can probably ignore me.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

The posts don't update immediately like they used to.. Some server side caching I suspect, did you reload the page from the server again?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Yes. I even closed the browser session and re-opened. I know that posts don't immediately turn up in the threads, but they also weren't showing when I clicked on the "my posts" link.

Then when they did and I hit the edit button, edited and hit post - refreshing that page showed the original message still.

However it appears to have been a temporary issue, as it hasn't happened since. Bloody computers!

1. jake Silver badge

Similar has happened to me occasionally.

It has always cleared up all by itself. I just figure that I'm posting exactly when someone is making a change (or changes) to the backend code, and carry on.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Fair enough, I suspected you knew that, being one of the original old timers :-) - but always best to eliminate the obvious!

But typical, eh? computers... never broken when you want then to be! :-) as you say.... bloody computers!

3. Marco Fontani

Yes. I even closed the browser session and re-opened. I know that posts don't immediately turn up in the threads, but they also weren't showing when I clicked on the "my posts" link.

Your request to post… well, a "post" on a forum… is "done" (shows up on the forum, shows up on "my posts", etc) only when it's been completely processed by our backend.

Until then, it's just a JSON file on a disk, nothing more.

2. Marco Fontani

The posts don't update immediately like they used to.. Some server side caching I suspect

Your "requests" to post a comment, or edit a comment, are placed into a "FIFO queue" along with other things.

If the queue is not empty, your post may take a little while to show up on the site - depending on how many requests there are before yours, their type, and how long they take to be processed.

As the message shown after your post has been sent says, "be patient".

On top of that, if we're making sweeping changes to our backends, we may temporarily stop the processing of new forum posts. You're still able to post, and your posts will be recorded - they'll just not appear on the site until maintenance is complete.

4. jake Silver badge

Do you guys want to know about "Error 524"?

Seeing it again at 0145 this early AM, California time.

The only reason I post here instead of email is because others might be wondering if all y'all need/want folks to report this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Do you guys want to know about "Error 524"?

Sure.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. GrumpenKraut

One of my comments vanished from the "My posts" list.

This one: https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/4/2018/04/06/on_call/#c_3477849 does not show anymore on said list. This may have happened in the last two weeks.

A suggestion while at it: I got a comment rejected (sniffle!) and it would be interesting to see the votes with that (depressing in this case: it was apparently downvoted to hell because everybody got it wrong initially).

1. jake Silver badge

Re: One of my comments vanished from the "My posts" list.

I can see it, third post down on page 2 of your posting history (at the moment). Not sure what this means, if anything.

1. GrumpenKraut
        Pint

Re: One of my comments vanished from the "My posts" list.

Indeed! I assumed posts on one article were consecutive on the list.

Thanks tons! ---->

7. jake Silver badge

Question.

I have "Sort Comments By" set to "newest" ... When I go to "Forums" >> "MyTopics" >> "Ye Bug List" it takes me to page 7 of the comments, which date to 2012. To get to the actual newest posts I have to click on page 1, which seems like a wasted step. (Happens to everything under MyTopics; I just picked this thread as an example.) Is this a bug or a feature?

I asked this question once before, years ago, but never got an answer.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.