back to article My hoard of obsolete hardware might be useful… one day

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Internal hard drives with dust, fluff and shit on. Bundles of CAT5 all tangled like string. These are some of my least favourite things. Regular readers will know that I have banged on before about our shared tendency to hoard bits of hardware that we don't need. That is, we don't …

Page:

1. BostonEddie

Oh, look! I found my stack of old monitors, one of which I still use on my Win10, and my dot matrix printer for my CoCo and my three or four DVD units! Maybe I can use them for HiFi audio record/playback? Several four channel auto radios, a four channel auto radio synthesizer...What treasures there be here!

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge

French burglar contact details

If anyone has his number I'd be grateful - I think I need my house done over by him. If he can just give me a call before he arrives as I'll need to book him an extra van or two ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: French burglar contact details

An extra van?

Consider yourself lucky. I think he'd need a dozen container ships to get rid of the crap that my place has! :(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

less of an issue with software, as long as you have the disk space to spare, but i've learned never to delete any of the following:

- old copy of windows xp

- startup disks

- scsi/ata expension card drivers

- generic atapi cdrom driver

- firefox offline installer

- hirens boot cd iso image

- non-sse2 variants of the useful essentials

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I sold some old stuff on ebay.

the buyer contacted me complaining this or that feature didnt work (i hadent tested). I gave them a full refund.

honestly i was just glad to offload the items. i hate throwing stuff into landfill. broken stuff, sure, but not things that still mostly work. someone will find a use for it surely? or if not, i'd prefer someone else carry the moral burden of throwing things away. its an existential hell for me.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It belongs in a museum

If you do feel that any particular bit of kit really is too old to be of any piratical use, then perhaps you could offer it to The Centre for Computing History http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/ which is building up a collection of working older systems.

1. spiny norman

Re: It belongs in a museum

I sent The Centre for Computing History my Franklin Rex organiser, since I no longer had a PCMCIA slot it would fit into. They were embarrassingly grateful.

6. Hazmoid
    Angel

My storage cupboard of tech

Many 5 1/4 inch floppies, 3.5" floppies, numerous IDE and Sata HDD , a number of cordless keyboards and mice, complete with usb/ps2 connected wireless dongles, various telephone cables and rj11 adapters,

Laptops and ones that are spare parts only.

My wife keeps asking me to sort through it but I am loathe to throw anything out, having experienced the "have you got?" question, days after the council rubbish truck has been.

7. spiritburner

tosh libretto 100ct

i I am looking for a screen for the above toshiba any joy at all please

thanks Neil

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like