back to article UK space comes to an 'understanding' with Australia as Brexit looms

The UK and Australia have announced plans to become the best of buddies in the space field, including the UK’s current hot potato: satellite navigation. The memorandum of understanding, which was signed this week by Chief Executive of the UK Space Agency, Graham Turnock, and head of the fledgling Australian Space Agency (ASA …

Page:

1. andrewj

Put Boris into orbit at a Lagrange point for reference. His ego would be visible from all points on earth, no need for a complex satellite system.

2. John Savard

Canada, you say?

Ah, this means that Canada has an opportunity to become part of a satellite navigation system that the United States can't turn off on us, by joining with Australia and the United Kingdom? I must write my Member of Parliament so that he knows about this opportunity!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remainers should be Leavers

As a yank, I don't exactly understand y'all, however, one thing is crystal clear. For all of you that love the EU so much, the English Channel is very small. Brexit. Leave now, your European masters may not let you in later. For all of you that feel English, love England, and want to remain English, god bless you.

1. I&I

Re: Remainers should be Leavers

Out of the Brussels, into the Trump...

2. Intractable Potsherd

... and what about those who are Scottish and love Scotland/Welsh who love Wales/Northern Irish and live Northern Ireland/Cornish who love Kernow etc, etc?? There is much more complexity than you realise. I was born in England, moved to Scotland less than ten years ago, and consider myself a Scottish. Instead of referenda about individual nations of the UK having independence, what we should have is Scotland, NI and Wales having the chance to throw England out.

3. Mooseman Silver badge

"As a yank, I don't exactly understand y'all"

Clearly. Are you suggesting that anyone who didn't vote for Trump should leave the USA as well?

Keep watching Fox news, your brain will eventually melt.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

WTF does the UK need to build it's *own* sole use nav system?

Answer.

F**k all.

Seriously, could you imagine a bigger waste of taxpayers money?

This is driven by

a) Massive MoD egoism and some fantasy that the UK is as big as the US/China/India/Russia (all countries with active or planned sat nav systems, and the tax base to afford it )

and

b) A desire to support a chunk of the British satellite industry, which the morons who voted for this bu***hit didn't think twice about throwing under a bus.

And yes, the UK satellite industry is worth quite a lot of money in terms of foreign revenue, and is growing quite fast.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like