back to article Fork it! Google fined €4.34bn over Android, has 90 days to behave

What convinced the European Commission that it had a Microsoft-scale competition problem on its hands with Google isn't a mystery. Google engaged in a carbon copy of '90s Microsoft-style tactics. Google leveraged its platform dominance in Android to promote its own services and apps, at the expense of third-party services, the …

Page:

1. Oneman2Many

Re: Hang on.

And so will google.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hang on.

How did MS get away with it? In the US, maybe, but not in EU. Being a US company DOJ had much power on it than EU had. That's why also Google lobbies so much in the US to be left untouched even when it promotes dodgy and illegal pharmaceutical sales....

1. Rob Crawford

I would like to ask a question

To quote "But by making even one FireOS phone, the OEM would have lost the ability to include Google Play Store on its other devices."

Has anybody even seen the Play Store on any Amazon device, as I most certainly haven't, they don't use it as they want all the income for themselves.

So that's a bit of a non argument.

I'm not agreeing with googles business plan but lets at least avoid non existent examples being used.

1. ThomH

Re: I would like to ask a question

The allegation, including your quoted part, says nothing whatsoever about including Google Play on FireOS phones.

1. Charles 9

The point is, if Google Play Services is SO crucial, how come Amazon can work WITHOUT it, which seemingly indicates it's NOT so crucial? Didn't Microsoft try a similar tactic with sweetheart deals for OEMs who put ONLY Windows on their machines?

1. CVsos

aws store is a subset of google play...same for samsung etc.

google play is the most widely universally accessible store for apps...with the others basically limiting users only to apps that they want the users to use.... but sideloading allows you to bypass this anyway

1. onefang

"with the others basically limiting users only to apps that they want the users to use"

Except for stores like F-droid.

1. Charles 9

Except for all other repos you have to jump additional hoops, tick additional boxes, and OK additional dialogues. Google's is the only one that doesn't have to do that on a stock phone (and there's no way to change that on a stock phone). As I recall, even on an AOSP-only phone (with no Play Services), Google's is the only store that is given the Official Source treatment.

2. CPU

I would think Google's answer would be- "cash or cheque?"

3. steviebuk Silver badge

Why haven't the EU...

...done the same to Apple yet?

4. Nathan 13

Google are morally above Apple and Microsoft

Literally way more open than both. Yes all 3 suck data, but according to all the cookie messages I am getting recently, so does every website in existence!!

The EU could fine literally 3 million websites $5 billion each. That might make up for the loss of the UKs contribution and keep 10 million male migrants in the luxury they have been told to expect by their traffickers!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next target: How many work places without Windows

How many work places without Windows?

6. CVsos

absolutely ridiculous fine. Microsoft do the same with Windows and their services. Apple do the same on IOS and their services.

The fine does not suit the crime at all. As a user I can simply install and change the software I use. absolutely nonsense by the EU...overreach and abuse of their power I say!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like