back to article Sysadmin told to spend 20+ hours changing user names, for no reason

Welcome again to On-Call, our regular Friday morning foray into readers' stories of being asked to do the right thing, for the wrong reason, at unspeakable times. This week, meet reader “Harold” who works as IT manager for an educational institution. Harold tells us that the institution has a simple scheme to allocate user …

Page:

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: I guess I am very lucky .....

"And for the record, it is not only possible, but reasonably painless to change a user's login, under GNU/Linux NIS with all of /home on an NFS share. User rebecca logs out before lunch, user becky logs in after lunch. But I wouldn't do more than one at a time ....."

Yes, but the real problem in the article is that Rebecca Jones and Ron Johnson would both be able to log in as rj and get their correct, individual environments when they'd done sto.

1. fredesmite

My reply would be DO IT YOURSELF.

What a @sshool

2. torchy663

just do as your told harold, you're there to implement management policy, so do it.........

3. OliverJ
    Pint

Surely....

.... this can be scripted? So: Spend a few hours to write the script and maybe even test it. Then run it on a number of users every day. Bill 8 hrs. per day on task "renaming users". Head over to the pub. Repeat daily for a week or two.

4. cortland

Shouldn't they

mac siccar?

5. CRConrad
    Facepalm

About GMail user names

An AC, Truckle The Uncivil, Richard 12, Terry 6: I don't think GMail cares about dots (periods, full stops) in its user names: It just discards and disregards them.

For instance, Truckle says: "My gmail address has a dot between first and last name. Theirs (multiple people) does not and I get their emails all the time", and Terry: "my firstname.surname@gmail addy doesn't seem to go to the American who shares my name. But I do get some of her firstnamesurname@gmail.com messages from time to time"

I think both Truckle and Terry are seeing the same phenomenon as Richard, who wrote: "Which then causes annoyance anyway, as firstname.lastname@gmail.com gets a huge amount if email intended for firstname.lastname1@gmail.com"; that is, Truckle's and Terry's namesake(s) are probably actually firstname.surname_1 or firstnamesurname97 or whatever, and the mails Truckle and Terry get are the ones where people forget the numbers.

From my testing, GMail really doesn't seem to give a damn about dots (periods, full stops). Try it: Send mail to firstnamesurname@gmail or first.name.sur.name@gmail or even f.i.r.s.t.n.a.m.e.s.u.r.n.a.m.e@gmail, and I'll bet you get them, as long as you get the letters right.

Personally, I hope Casey Conrad in Ohio got her cable TV fixed on the second or third appointment she set up, that Charles R. Conrad doesn't miss any of his U-Haul payments even though he isn't getting the e-mail reminders, and above all that young Cade Conrad in Louisiana would fucking well subscribe to all those gaming and paintball and sports websites with HIS OWN darn address.

Oh, and that ungrateful bitch Christina Conrad in California, whom I went to considerable effort to track down and tell her over the phone that a manager at the company where she'd applied for a job had sent her an invitation to an interview, only to be rudely told that I was disturbing her and she couldn't understand my "weird accent" and she didn't much care for that position after all: May she remain unemployed for ever. Live in cardboard box under a bridge, that kind of thing.

"D'oh!", for people who don't even know their own darn e-mail address.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: About GMail user names

Or maybe e-mail to call.me.conrad@gmail.com who let's say doesn't exist is delivered to callmeconrad@gmail.com instead - or vice versa. But if both addresses exist then they only get their own e-mails. Or not. Or, that used to happen, but it has security disadvantages - as discussed.

6. Nigel Titley

Reminds me of the time just after I left a certain Large Telco. We had a standard email scheme.. <firstname><optional disambiguating digit>.<lastname>@xx.com. Worked fine... even mapped nicely to X400 which was the Up and Coming thing in those days. Then the chairman got his knighthood. The email system had to have a special exception added that so that his email address was sir.<firstname>.<lastname>@xx.com. Drove a coach and horses through our carefully crafted scheme and caused my successor to tear his hair out.

7. DesktopGuy

suck it up - do the job

Starting off as an apprentice way back when…

I learned quickly I was getting paid the same amount if I was cleaning the gallery camera, getting lunch for tradies or doing actual work.

Simply put - manager wants you to do something then get it done.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion (as I have worked for myself for just shy of 20 years I am full of them!) but don't let your ego get in the way.

8. jimknock

Retired System Architect

They have put you in a NO WIN situation. They are meddling with things they do not understand. They want to exercise their power for what they think are neat ideas. But those ideas do not follow industry best practices or conventions. You will not increase your knowledge and skills by following their directions. And, it is unlikely you will learn anything more in the environment they are creating for you. No matter what you do, they will think you are taking too long and your effort is unsatisfactory.

Don't try to get even or complain. Don't even talk about it in your interviews. A negative prior experience just makes you look bad. Start looking for another job IMMEDIATELY. Get the two of them together and say you have to resolve their differences with some kind of standard. Once that is established. Start doing the work. Your goal is to have the job only half done, and a new job, when the shit hits the fan. The users will complain bitterly. And, no matter how careful you are, there will be errors and omissions. There will be complaints about those things as well. By the time they have hired your replacement and resumed the project, they will be famous as campus buffoons.

9. GoodOldHarold

Think I may as well address of couple of issues that people have raised, which without more information would be perfectly reasonable to mention.

The reason for the usernames as they stand is that they reflect what's called a "staff code". This is used in schools as a shorthand for each member of staff, and it's also what appears on e.g. the timetable. For anyone who left school in the last couple of decades or so, cast your minds back to the way your timetable looked. You'd have a subject (or subject code, e.g. Ma for Maths), room number and then... something like ABC - generally speaking, that's the teacher's initials as students shouldn't know staff's first names (very old British tradition, I know, but it's very common). They already know their own staff codes, so it makes sense to have that as a username as it's one less other thing to remember and these are people who can't deal with plugging a computer in... ;) Believe me, we have to make a LOT of compromises in education!

So people are used to referring to John Smith as e.g. JBS, and you'll see that on e-mails, timetables, pigeon holes, requests to form tutors etc. Some schools even name their forms after the form tutor - we don't because tutors can change and then it's a faff... :P

What I would point out is, as long as you're actually using the middle name as a differentiator, you don't really get any duplications in our staff size (93 FTE count). Exceptions were where a member of staff actually didn't have a middle name, in which case we used what's now being proposed as the new system, but that was rare.

You only begin to get these duplications when you stop including the middle initial, and that's really why I object to this. Yes, I do object to the fact that it's against best practice and I'm busy anyway, but what's REALLY bugging me about it is the fact that it's a stupid system he wants to move to. I can already tell we're going to have two VCHs, two AMOs and... three SDEs! He hasn't proposed a system for how to handle duplicates at all, never mind one that could handle THREE people being the same!

Also, teachers get very attached to their staff codes, you know. It's a bit silly and sentimental but when you've been e.g. JBS for 20-odd years, you do get attached. Personalised number plates are very common too as people ascend up the ranks... :P

So basically this is annoying everyone and achieving nothing... and why? Because he doesn't like the fact he's been given Timetable & Cover as a senior management responsibility and can't cope with remembering who's who just like everyone else.

He has a list of who's who on the wall... I've created documents indexed by surname and staff code that auto-update every midnight from the MIS and linked to them on the Start Menu... plus he can always just look them up from the MIS himself or ask a colleague... and apparently that's still not enough! And then, the only response I get when I point all this out is "hmmm... I think you just need to accept that senior leaders require this change to promote SMART working!"

Sooo... that's why I was pissed off enough to write in about it... :/

10. EmleyMoor

User name schemes gone pear shaped

I worked in a department of a university where an originally apparently sensible scheme (within department staff) had been in place but obviously had gone wrong. Under the scheme I could have been "phil", "philip" or "pmr", with the latter being the most desirable. Unfortunately some idiot had allocated that to someone who should have been "prb" (note that this was NOT the only odd one), so I couldn't have it. ("prb" was in fact what he wanted, and was available.) My immediate superior decided to introduce a new rule whereby department staff would have unprefixed usernames otherwise similar to the prefixed ones used by students and also by staff in the other departments of the faculty - three surname letters and first initial. Under this new rule, I was "reyp". I hated it, but one of my duties involved setting up accounts for new staff. It only happened once all the time I was there, but not surprisingly I used the same rule. The user had wanted "dj" but that was prohibited by security policy. I had no middle initial on file for him, but even if I had, would still have allocated him "johd" as a protest against my own user name.

If I had stayed in that place and been promoted to my immediate superior's position I might have started the potentially longwinded process of re-rationalising user names. What made it worse was that student user names were "current year only", and they needed new ones each and every year!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like