Ye Bug List

Shaun's tried to post this on the Boot's thread: Philosophy is not dead, it just smells funny. I see an "Approve" and "Reject" buttons - not sure why - but Approve doesn't work. Did it trip a spam checker?

This topic was created by Andrew Orlowski .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Marco Fontani

There seems to be a bug with the positioning of some of the ads when they're placed above the banner

Thanks for your report; I passed it on to our ad/ops team.

Looks like this might have been due to specific ads which didn't like to be restricted to the "frame" they should be restricted in. For a little while they managed to escape it, and busted out of it screaming FREEDOM! FREEDOM! before being reigned back into their framed prison where they belong.

Please do point out to us if something's awry. It'd be helpful if you could provide screenshots, browser, which ad etc... so for these kind of things webmaster@ is a lot better than a post on the forums.

1. Vimes

I tweeted one to @theregister. Is that still available or should I send another copy?

2. chris987

Having the same issue with the ad banner. To my knowledge I haven't seen an ad that it doesn't happen with, the Microsoft Cloud one is particularly irritating due it's size though.

I usually have to scroll back to the top of the page to let the ad drop back into place then scroll down to carry on reading.

I am using Chrome 50.0.2661.89 on Nexus 6 running 6.0.1

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

Thus far it's always been one for the Microsoft cloud in my experience.

1. Vimes

...or Linux?

Of course this wouldn't be a problem to start with if the people running this site didn't play silly buggers with the adverts by moving them back into view despite being moved off the screen by the user scrolling.

If the people at the register are so worried about the advert not being seen then why place it above the banner in the first place?

Getting ads to metaphorically jump up and down & scream 'LOOK AT US, LOOK AT US, LOOK AT US!!!' even more obnoxiously than they did until recently is unlikely to increase the number of clicks. If anything else it's probably more likely to just increase the number of people using ad blockers.

1. Vimes

I think it's intended, but only to go as far as covering up the top banner before itself being scrolled off the page when the user scrolls even further. Problem is under certain circumstances it covers a lot more by default.

1. Marco Fontani

The horizontal ad at the top of the screen is staying in place when I scroll, up to a point, then disappearing.

This is indeed intended behaviour.

I think it's intended, but only to go as far as covering up the top banner before itself being scrolled off the page when the user scrolls even further.

You explained it better than I ;)

What _isn't_ intended behaviour is an ad "busting out" of that box, which is what caused the issue of the ad "bleeding over" other parts of the page.

That's something ad-specific, so I passed the info about which ad on to our adops team, and they seem to have sorted it. Thanks for your report!

1. Vimes

If you can't properly control the adverts then perhaps you shouldn't be moving them in the first place?

I realise that you're not directly responsible for such badly behaving adverts, but you are nevertheless responsible for how you choose to display them. And the way you have chosen seems to create issues on occasion.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

They might have the clout, but probably not the resources/manpower/budget to do this.

1. Vimes

They do have control however over the layout of their site. They CHOOSE to move around the adverts in this rather buggy way.

The problem is still happening by the way, in case anybody from the website is reading this. And it's still the Microsoft Cloud advert that's the cause. Again.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

True. They could do something about the layout.

"We could, but..."

2. Vimes

Now the same thing is happening with the large NetApp storage advert appearing at the top of the page.

So far both large adverts that have appeared at the top of the page have caused issues. The code to move adverts around is buggy. IMO you need to accept this and either stop doing it or limit the size of the adverts so that this isn't an issue.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vimes

Given all the varieties of issues that can be introduced by the adverts themselves I doubt they'll ever be able to do that properly.

3. Vimes

A big Mercedes advert now. Same issue.

Oh, and with auto-playing video this time too. Nice.

Why are you going to so much effort to ensure as many people as possible use ad blockers?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. mr_nil
    Unhappy

Whitepaper downloads broken on mobile

Hi there,

Are you aware that the white paper downloads are broken when you try to download on a mobile device. (Nexus 6p for me)

The link to a white paper is to a PDF file, but you have an "t & c" agreement screen that blocks the way. This works just fine on desktop browser. On mobile browser it thinks that it's downloading a PDF, so tried to save it rather than open it in the browser and it all goes horribly wrong.

I like to read these things on my phone on the way to work, so would appreciate it if the download worked properly.

1. JudeKay (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Whitepaper downloads broken on mobile

Thanks for letting us know – our tech team is currently addressing the problem.

6. Stuart Moore

The mobile site doesn't have a way to get to the article comments. The comments are a big part of the appeal of the site, please link to them from the mobile site

1. Marco Fontani

The mobile site doesn't have a way to get to the article comments.

It does! There's a bubble like link indicating number of comments which, when clicked, brings you to the forum.

It either says "N comments" or "Post a comment".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Topic Area Tabs - increase causing problems

Under the main El Reg banner there are several tabs that group similar topics. There is the Vulture logo for latest news, then Data Centre etc.

In the last couple of weeks they have been joined by Transformation and Emergent Tech. While these are very worthy topic areas, the increase has caused (on my system at least) Bootnotes to wrap onto a second line. This has the unfortunate effect that when mousing over the Vulture symbol to see the latest news, I can no longer drag straight to those news items because Bootnotes gets in the way and as soon as the cursor travels into Bootnote territory the latest news disappears.

I can reduce the font/screen size (Ctrl -) to fit the tabs into a single line but that shrinks the whole page leaving unused real estate borders and my poor old eyes can't take it.

Can you fix the tabs please.

1. Marco Fontani

Re: Topic Area Tabs - increase causing problems

the increase has caused (on my system at least) Bootnotes to wrap onto a second line

Hi, sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Would you be able to share a bit more details about your browser and system, as we can't reproduce the issue with the ones we most commonly use?

get in touch at webmaster@, thanks!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: Topic Area Tabs - increase causing problems

Just thought I would let world+dog know that problem solved with help from MF. Turns out it was a default minimum font size in the browser not letting ElReg website do tabs in small enough font to fit into one line. Browser tweak removing minimum font size solved problem. Much thanks.

8. Vimes

If you're going to insist on moving the top advert down as the user scrolls down the page, perhaps you could include the links at the top of the page in the part that gets moved? Otherwise the advert ends up covering useful links, including the one for these forums.

I note after all that you make sure that moving the advert doesn't cover up the main menu bar directly underneath the main logo image on the page (which funnily enough is where the forums link was until recently)

9. as2003

I don't know is this is a recent configuration mistake, or it's always been like this, but HTTPS isn't available across the site; even login is posted across an insecure connection.

No excuse to not be mandating HTTPS in this day and age,

1. Lennart Sorensen

Oh but there is an excuse: The ad serving infrastructure is shit and doesn't do https yet. That seems to be the standard excuse for not doing https on sites these days.

10. Lennart Sorensen

Front page broken.

Speaking of bugs: The front page is only showing about 6 stories, with the rest being blank space (some browsers show broken image icons throughout the remaining space, but that's it). Mobile version is fine though.

11. MarkDemon
    FAIL

Smartphone app

Last week the Register app borked itself and stopped downloading updates. Having removed and reinstalled it, it's just completely blank now. Clearing the cache of the few KBs doesn't help.

Is this just me or has anyone else experienced this?

Also searching the app store I couldn't obviously find the app - has it been discontinued in favour of the mobile site?

1. Marco Fontani

Re: Smartphone app

Also searching the app store I couldn't obviously find the app - has it been discontinued in favour of the mobile site?

The apps should've shown a "sticky article" for a couple weeks, saying that the API was getting discontinued at the end of January. All of them have been pulled from the respective app store, and the API has now been discontinued.

Use the mobile site instead.

12. TRT Silver badge

Anti-Ddos and missing images

On frequent occasions I'm missing images all over the website and I've now got a 5 second block when trying to load anything. What gives?!

1. Marco Fontani

Re: Anti-Ddos and missing images

On frequent occasions I'm missing images all over the website and I've now got a 5 second block when trying to load anything. What gives?!

Could you please email at webmaster@ with the contents of https://www.theregister.co.uk/cdn-cgi/trace please? Unless you're connecting from a bad reputation IP, that shouldn't happen.

Might it be you're connecting via tor? In that case, you might want to load at least once https://regmedia.co.uk/ so that Cloudflare can check your browser, and set a cookie which will allow your browser to load everything fine. Of course, if you then go and delete your cookies every time you close the browser, you might have to go through this again…

13. paulej72

CSS

Who messed with the CSS. The font sizes seem to be too big especially on comments. I am using FF 52.0.1 on Win 7. IE 11 looked the same.

14. Marco Fontani

Re: Smartphone app

Who messed with the CSS. The font sizes seem to be too big especially on comments.

We did.

The font size for article and comments body was quite a bit too small, and it's been set to ~16px, which is a good legible size for them.

15. jake Silver badge

Looks like "The Week In Summary" is being worked on.

Lotsa white-space in there, guys. Intentional?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks like "The Week In Summary" is being worked on.

unintentional - same bug spotted in search / fixed there.

thanks for the spot - we'll get to it tomorrow.

16. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Spurious Blank lines at end of comments

I've noticed the comments are starting to get spurious blank lines after them.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Spurious Blank lines at end of comments

I've been looking for this since you posted. I've not seen it.

What I *have* seen is many more posts than normal without Subjects Titles. Kinda makes it more of a pain than normal to follow a thread in a non-threaded forum. Not sure if this is a bug somewhere (mobile users, maybe?), or just co-inky-dink.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spurious Blank lines at end of comments

Please link us to an example or two and we'll have a look.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

@Drew Re: Spurious Blank lines at end of comments

Not sure how to link to individual comments, but I'm seeing a couple of comments on this page alone.

Also, take a look at the first couple of posts on this article https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2017/06/14/uber_waymo_legal_battle_latest/

1. jake Silver badge

Re: @Drew Spurious Blank lines at end of comments

I'm still not seeing it on Slackware-stable, bog-standard HP laptop. Not poo-pooing you, just a data point that may or may not be useful to ElReg.

You can get a copy of the link to any given post/comment by right clicking the "date stamp" in the upper right corner of any post & following your nose.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

If someone at El Reg wants to, they can email me and I can send some screenshots.

1. Marco Fontani

Could you email us at webmaster@ this domain?

See https://www.theregister.co.uk/Page/problem.html for the kind of information we'll likely need, i.e. the exact url you're seeing this on, the browser, IP, etc. etc.

Look forward to hearing from you!

The Webmaster ;)

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. jezbod

Website unusable at the moment

There is something on the site that is grinding my IE11 to a halt and the only common theme is the adverts on the pages. Specifically the NetApp animation, that takes about 3 minutes to load.

Firefox works perfectly fine since it strips the ads.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.