back to article Calling all readers: Want some new icons?

We at the El Reg Central Overseeing Commenter Soviet are considering whether to expand the available spread of comments icons to include some news images - the better for you, our beloved readers, to express yourselves with wit and elegance. Our existing comments icons If you reckon we need some fresh images to add to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

also

A picture of Neo when the agents remove his mouth.

A bigger megaphone.

"Do you want fries with that?"

A police helmet with the flashing blue light on top

"Needs more cowbell"

A tinfoil hat / Faraday cage

A sarcasm detector

2. moonface

more suggestions

Must have a "Think of the children" icon was thinking along the lines of a "Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" icon.

Also could have.

Judge Dredd...over the top police equipment/justice.

Gagged Gimp or similar....gagging orders and censorship.

3. Graham Jordan

Tits?

For us normal people who just happen to be good at IT stuff.

I do not fall into this category. I just don't get to see many tits.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Riiiight.....

And you don't have your own pr0n collection....

I think we need a bollocks icon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about a change to Anonymous Coward...

Make it so that if a post is downvoted more than 20 time it reveals the real name. Stop people hiding behind it...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

or how about just re-naming it 'Anonymous Arsehole' ?

Personally I'd like an Astorn Martin icon, just for showing off :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

mmm hmmm

You need a Dr Evil icon for that suggestion!

5. BugsMan

A pile of shit

Multi-purpose icon: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3720/turd.gif

6. Mephistro
    Troll

A spiff icon

For all those comments that own their very existence to a small amount of THC. Useful for commenting on other's posts -"What are you smoking?"- or for your own posts -"This is what I'm smoking!"-. :D

7. BossHog

For those mobile fails...

And Apple with a worm coming out; a Window with a broken pane; and an Android in "kill all humans" mode.

8. drinkturps

Vulture 1

I'd like an icon of Vulture 1. No particular reason just think it would look nice.

9. Colin Millar
    Thumb Up

Hm could be a business opportunity here

We've had smiley's - maybe we need a new range of icons for the new intertube age - they would be called "igno-rants"

Get in early with these

A cartoon of (Insert famous politician of choice) as an icon for "I don't know anything about this subject but I'm going to spout on anyway"

OR

an icon of a big gaping mouth for "I didn't read the article but jumped straight to the comments section"

10. tirk

Old Farts Like Me

Need a punched card and slide rule icon. Both for confusion about kids these days and their twitterbooks, and for the nostalgia!

11. OutOfContext

Drop the Joke Alert

Posts with this are never funny.

1. Eugene Crosser

This is exactly why it is necessary,

you know...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question mark.

We have 'WTF?' and you could use Paris (lol. Everybody else has.) but there isn't a bog standard question mark icon.

I would also vote for a trollface icon.

13. Getter lvl70 Druid
    Happy

A Pie icon perhaps

For those 'Oh Yeah? Yo Momma!' posts..... Ran into that today in fact.... The 'Suck on This' sometimes just doesn't cover it.

;)

14. Andy 97

How about.:

A Nelson from The Simpsons "Ha-Ha"

15. copsewood
    Welcome

What a muppet

Could use a selection including:

Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzy Bear, Animal, Gonzo

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

rounded squares.

You have my permission to make all the icons square with rounded corners.

I am the owner of "square icon with rounded corners"

because I made a square icon with rounded corners for a program in windows 3.1,

P.S. I think you need a flying pig.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Paris

may be getting a little long in the - er - tooth, these days, and perhaps should be replaced by a more dynamic model.

Kate Middleton, anyone?

18. Michael 77

Cobol

as "in that's so yesterday."

or maybe it's just about Cobol.

19. Kimo

Too lazy to read them all...

...but if not yet said, I would like a facepalm icon.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The scales, the scales

To maintain balance there should be Mark Shuttleworth devil and angel icons.

21. Michael 77

A Pin?

shorthand for prick .....

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tardis

For "obscure sci-fi reference"

1. MrT

Not TARDIS...

...but "The Spock-Lizard Expansion" diagram. A TARDIS isn't obscure enough... ;-)

23. IR
    Megaphone

Icons schmicons

How about just making it so if someone posts an internet link it doesn't create scroll bars that cover the last word on every row of their comment?

For a tech site, that shows a surprising lack of robustness testing.

(added icon I have very rarely seen, since it will probably be gone soon)

1. MrT

good idea...

... but just turn any posted link into a clickable button with "Link" on it...

24. David Evans
    Jobs Horns

If the stories I'm reading elsewhere are true..

...it looks like you need a combined evil Jobs/Big Brother icon. And to set fire to your iPhone.

25. Mike Flugennock
    Pint

some quick ones off the top of my head...

...as I didn't have the time/motivation to pore over all two hundred-odd comments (sorry if any of these have already been suggested):

- I'm pretty "down" with the Ellison, Schmidt, Zuckerberg, et. al. with devil's horns. I suppose corresponding icons with angel's halos would only be fair, but nobody I know likes those guys.

- Perhaps a wider selection of beer icons. Right now it's just an ale; I like ales OK, but I really dig stout. Perhaps a similar pint of stout icon for when you really want to adamantly affirm the desire to "buy that man a pint".

-"No shit, Sherlock" icon. Definitely. I suggest a close-up shot of Basil Rathbone with pipe and deerstalker, from the classic 30s/40s film series.

-Bozo The Clown icon, perhaps foto/close-up from the old 50s/60s US kids' show, for those times you really want to blurt out "jeezus, what a bunch of clownshit!" (See SF NewTech article)

-Ballmer As Crazed Dancing Monkey Boy Icon. Close-up shot of crazed, sweaty Ballmer from the infamous Developers' Conference video. For when Microsoft does something really whacked.

-Facepalm: For those articles that make you... you know, facepalm. That shot of Captain Picard from the widely-circulated Demotivational Poster would be perfect.

-"My God, It's Full Of..." Icon. The famous extreme close-up of Bowman from '2001' as he watches the video explaining his mission (http://www.sportsbabel.net/2001bowman.jpg) -- for those posts that make you think "holy fucking shit...!"

-Insanely Smiling Noddy Holder Icon. Close-up of ol' Noddy with that hat with the mirrors all over it, gleefully leering, for those inevitable Reg articles discussing brassieres, ladies' underwear, "jubs", or Bulgarian Airbags... because Noddy wrote so many great songs about getting your hands into ladies' underwear.

Print of beer icon, because it's about noon here on the US East Coast, which means it's probably around beer o'clock-ish in London right now(?).

26. Mike Flugennock

Oh, damn; I knew I'd forgotten one

-Benny Hill Saluting Icon: close-up of Benny Hill doing that bit where he's saluting, with the little glasses on the end of his nose and that dumb-assed grin on his face, for all those articles about UK Govt Fucking Up Massively Again.

27. Munchausen's proxy
    Pint

Snoopy

ASCII-art Snoopy for good use of presentation or statistics in an article,

pacman/pie chart for bad use.

Punch card for old-timey IT.

A picture of a Great Tit might be a little too obscure (or not), but most would probably understand a blue-footed booby for the appropriate discussions.

28. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

My choices are

1) a nice little donkey, viewed from behind, to signify that I think the idea/comment/article/whatever was written by an ass

2) a fairy in a woodland landscape, to signify that I think the idea/comment/article/whatever comes from/is written by some lunatic in lalaland

3) a pitchfork, preferably on a flaming background, to signify that I would really, really like to skewer the idea/comment/article/whatever and be done with it

Oh, and let's get rid of the Gates icons, replace them with Jobs icons and it'll be fine.

Thank you for your attention.

1. Goat Jam
      Paris Hilton

By all means

get rid of the Gates icon, but do we *really* need two sets of Jobs icons?

29. Will Godfrey Silver badge

eltiT

I'm delighted that El Reg has finally identified a great need (clearly lots of other people agree).

I prefer generic to 'personalised' icons.

I would like a sarcastic "Well I never knew that" icon - haven't a clue how you'd implement it though.

A/Cs should not be able to chose an icon, but would get a fixed one of a character pointing and laughing.

30. Haku

No Shit Sherlock

or Captian Obvious icon please, for replying to articles or other people's posts who state the bleeding obvious.

Also a "Low Flying Chairs" icon for when Microsoft are pissed off at something, perhaps.

31. Anomalous Cowlard

How about

Bonsai Kitten

Le Pétomane

"We are not amused"

BOFH

PFY

The Boss (pointy haired)

32. Petrea Mitchell
    Thumb Down

Nominated for removal

Escape key

Joke Alert

That guy in black and white that I don't recognize

That other guy in black and white that I don't recognize (yes, I demand that El Reg be organized to suit my world alone)

Terminator face

33. Petrea Mitchell
    Coat

One thing I might like to see

Like many others, I've been forced to repurpose the "May contain highly technical content" icon to mean "Watch out, I'm about to become extremely pedantic". Perhaps we could have a separate icon for this latter usage?

Mine's the anorak, of course!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Such as...

the "Pedantic grammar nazi alert" icon. (BTW El Reg, "nazi" should be capitalized.) Or is that insufficient for your level of pedantry?

1. Petrea Mitchell
        Thumb Down

Yes, it's insufficient

Of all the things I have had the urge to be pedantic about, grammar has never been one of them.

34. robert lindsay

Any icon that makes andrew orlowski cry

Then I'd post here every day

35. Haku

Pot & Kettle

for hilighting hypocracy, and:

Ninja - it could be an animated icon; stays blank for most of the time and then suddenly a ninja zooms by

36. stuwaldy
    Badgers

Happy with the selection

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. But I would like to say nice one to the dad who was arriving at Strikerz at Turton School tonight wearing the 'Badgers' T-shirt. Good work and carry on.

37. Robert E A Harvey

more suggestions

"Please explain" - big question mark

"I remember" - Grandfather clock? abacus? punch card?

"I agree wholeheartedly" - Big Tick? +1? Two heads?

"Der-brain" - big head, litle brain?

38. copsewood
    Heart

A group of angels dancing on a pin

Questions about how many angels could balance on a single pin were reputedly the source behind various medieval theological flame wars. How apt.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

title

icons for anonymous and peado bear kthnx

40. Keith T

Sarah Palin, with maybe a stars & strips background.

Sarah Palin, with maybe a stars & strips background.

For any stereotypical dumb American ideas.

41. Keith T

Tony Blair or Pinocchio as an icon for bluffing, lying, er uh, mis-stating facts

Tony Blair as an icon for bluffing, lying, er uh, mis-stating facts. If Blair, should have the charming confident smile.

He's out of office, he's historical now.

Or Pinocchio.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.