back to article UK getting ready to go it alone on Galileo

The UK is about to press the big red button on its own satellite navigation system as an agreement for access to the EU’s Galileo programme looks more and more unlikely. Following hot on the heels of the release of papers detailing the customs and tax implications of a no-deal Brexit come reports that the UK Treasury has …

Page:

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: £92m on a feasibility study

"You'd prefer it go to their enemies?"

Well, yes, actually. I consider myself to be an enemy of the government most days.

1. Joeman

its the VHS/Betamax scenario all over again but with three players not two..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With the UK system being V2000?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

or blue ray system.

Add in a killer laser app and this time we wont be sending Bond out to recover the diamonds.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"With the UK system being V2000?"

You could argue that position was taken by Beidou v1 or the original prototype French Navigation system that became DORIS.

This would be more like Knock-off Nigel No-mates one which has "Quality Bru^Hitish Merchandise" labels hastily plastered over the "Made in North Bumfuckistan's second-finest sweatshops" labels, where every side of the enclosure is a slightly different shade of "mixed up from all the leftover paint in the cupboard" none of the panels line up when new and the moment you open the cover all the wiring explodes outwards, making it impossible to close it again. "But it's BRITISH mate, you can't get better than that!"

Sometime after being "convinced" to pay twenty times as much for this monstrosity as for anything off the high street in dresden by NIgel's extremely large and persuasive older brother Fat Tony, you discover it only gives directions in Gumby and has t be programmed using Ecky-thump.

Curiousity gets the better of you and you open it up to find a small commercial GNSS receiver stuck to the inside with doublesided tape, butchered with a mountain of strange wiring coming out of it into some kind of vacuum tube based elecronics which doesn't appear to actually do anything except get hot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"its the VHS/Betamax scenario all over again but with three players not two.."

You mean five players not four, don't you?

There are already four global GNSS systems up or spinning up.

Who can recall the fifth place early videotape tech?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In a way this probably makes some sense (even if it isn't ideal) considering the UK is already looking to develop its space capabilities to include launching satellites and would have to invest in that anyway to grow the sector and gain the necessary skills. I'm guessing this is just a diversion and speeding-up of that already-planned investment anyway rather than new money. The UK has been crying out for some public investment for a long time and putting it in a growing sector like this should pay for itself and give it a head start over other European countries who are also looking to develop their space sectors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But isn't it more expensive to launch the further you are away from the equator and hence why Ariane launches from French Guiana rather than anywhere in Europe?

If the UK do their own GPS, I would have though launching from India would have been a better bet and since they already managed to launch 104 satellites on one rocket, it wouldn't be that expensive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qajruk4-3p4)

I would have thought the UK investment might be more to do with commercial development of the Sabre engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABRE_(rocket_engine)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

But isn't it more expensive to launch the further you are away from the equator and hence why Ariane launches from French Guiana rather than anywhere in Europe?

Depends where you want the orbit to be but for geostationery stuff, the equator has a higher angular velocity.

1. Lost it

How would they know where to put the satellites without GPS?

It means "Global Posittioning System" doesn't it?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"But isn't it more expensive to launch the further you are away from the equator and hence why Ariane launches from French Guiana rather than anywhere in Europe?"

That depends on the orbit: it's true for equatorial orbits such as geostationary satellites. Navigation satellites are in polar orbit so one place is as good as another with a preference for there being uninhabited areas downrange where bits of rocket fall. The proposed spaceport in NW Scotland is fine for that as there's a lot of sea downrange.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Navigation satellites are in polar orbit so one place is as good as another

------------------------------------

You would be somewhat correct if GNSS satellites were in a polar orbit, but...

Polar orbit inclination: 90 deg

GPS orbital inclination 55 deg

GLONASS orbital inclination 64 deg 8 min

Galileo orbital inclination 56 deg

... so all of them get a boost from the earth's rotation.

Also, while orbital mechanics is not my specialty, I seem to recall that a common technique is to put something up first (energy intensive) and then tweak the orbital plane (energy efficient)... for a net win over initially inserting into a non-equatorial orbit. There may be one or two steps I missed (? launch, tweak plane at perigee, circularize orbit?)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"putting it in a growing sector like this should pay for itself and give it a head start over other European countries who are also looking to develop their space sectors."

---------------------------------------------

That makes no sense.

The UK is in a bad location for a launch facility... too far from the equator, no safe ocean clearance to the east (be prepared to pay big time for dropping failed rockets into someone else's city), potential weather issues, high density of air traffic...

They are playing catch-up behind at least six or seven current space launch vendors... many of whom have decades of experience at it.

AFAIK, not only does the UK lack a facility, it lacks a reliable, tested, mature launch vehicle.

Why do they seem to think it will be easy to become a major player in the market? They don't even build their own ICBMs - a good starting point for early launch vehicles.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why do they seem to think it will be easy to become a major player in the market?

Perhaps because it already is? Do try & keep up at the back there.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why do they seem to think it will be easy to become a major player in the market?

--- Perhaps because it already is? Do try & keep up at the back there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it isn`t.

They are talking about building a launch facility and starting to sell launches.

You seem to have missed that their whole plan is to enter a market they where they do not have a significant presence.

I was only able to find reference to two UK attempts at an orbital launch vehicle - Black Arrow which on its fourth launch managed to orbit a 66 kg satellite in 1971 - the UK`s only successful launch using their vehicle, and Black Prince aka Blue Streak Satellite Launch Vehicle, which was cancelled somewhere around 1960.

Given that Galileo satellites mass 675 kg each, and they are being launched 4 at a time, the UK has never actually orbited something even 3% of the required mass to duplicate this (even not counting the mass of the satellite `dispenser` unit).

The successful launch groups seem to be the US, two or three private American corporations, Russia, Europe, China, India, and maybe Japan.

Tell us again why the fantasy of launching 2000 satellites in the next several years without either a launch vehicle or launch facility yet is a reasonable and feasible scheme to out-compete the existing players.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Google Skylon Sabre

3. Bavaria Blu
    Flame

Theresa May is a parochial girl from the boondocks

I know Theresa May grew up in a village and calls people who go abroad on holiday "citizens of nowhere" but this is ridiculous. Our own GPS system? What does the G in GPS stand for? Surely for Brexiteers an evil source of globalising influence. GPS will turn us into citizens of nowhere! We won't be leaving the UK as the pound is so worthless, so why do we need a global navigation system? Why not just have a home counties navigation system, HoCoNS? Surely for the typical Tory MP navigation is something your driver or the au pair does on the school run anyway?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Theresa May is a parochial girl from the boondocks

HOme Counties UNiversal Topography System.

4. Ru'

Typical EU bad-losing stuff. Norway for example seem to be on board despite not being EU members (if Wikipedia is yo be believed).

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Norway is on board for the general navigation stuff, not for the access to the encrypted core signals. And it's exactly the access to the encrypted bits that Britain is going to lose (which you'd know if you bothered reading the article...)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"And it's exactly the access to the encrypted bits that Britain is going to lose"

And just who was it insisted not-EU countries shouldn't have that access?

2. Ru'

Article read and understood, thanks. I can't find anything in it relating to Norway's lack of military access, nor can I find anything elsewhere on the topic (brief search only as I'm only on my phone i'm afraid).

5. DavCrav

"The UK Government has found it difficult to understand that if one stops being a member of a club, one loses access to that club’s facilities."

Considering we are still part of NATO, it's more like telling the fire service they aren't allowed access to your water to put out a fire in your building.

I have no problem with the EU chucking the UK out of Galileo, but then the UK (and the US) should send a bill to the EU for their defence (and their defense), and if it doesn't get paid, pull out. It's just a form of insurance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>I have no problem with the EU chucking the UK out of Galileo, but then the UK (and the US) should send a bill to the EU for their defence (and their defense), and if it doesn't get paid, pull out. It's just a form of insurance.

Last time EU wanted to defend something was in Srebrenica. I hope nobody has forgotten how that ended.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Last time EU wanted to defend something..."

Now, if only UK stayed at home instead of bombing Libya...

2. Rich 11

send a bill to the EU for their defence

Get back in your box, Donald. Leave international affairs to adults who understand what the phrase 'long-term interests' means.

1. Chinashaw

Despite his loathsome behaviour, he is right. Europe has ridden the coat tails of other peoples defence spending for decades. Germany in particular has had to train with broom sticks and barely has an airforce or tank regiment that works. He is also correct to point out that NATO has a minimum spend target of 2% and people really should hit that, especially rich countries like Germany.

So perhaps Rich 11, you should get back in your patronising little box and leave the international affairs to adults who understand what the phrase 'long term interests' means.

Germany in particular has had to train with broom sticks and barely has an airforce or tank regiment that works

Jesus fucking wept! Do you think there might possibly be a good reason for Germany having a shit army for all those years? And where's the threat supposed to come from since the Soviet army bankupted the USSR? De-escalation is a very reasoanable tactic.

Anyway, larger defence budgets don't mean necessarily mean safer. What have all those trillions (yes, 10^12 was passed some time ago) done for Afghanistan?

America's huge military presence has been used to enforce its global hegemony: having the world's reserve currency is very good for trade and keeps borrowing costs down a lot.

1. Chinashaw

You are right, Jesus wept.

I merely pointed out that Germany is not meeting its legal obligations as per an agreement it has signed. As for the the threat, well we only need to look at Georgia, Ukraine, the odd aeroplane, threats to the Baltic states, the murder of individuals in allied countries, to see that there is a rather large country fairly close by that is making all sorts of military decisions that impact Germany's allies in NATO as well as behaving in a militarily threatening manner. Therefore, they have an obligation to help them and to do so requires a functioning military. As for the shit military, it is because they were covered by the US, French, British militaries as well as having a handy land buffer in Poland that enabled them to have quite such a shit military. On top of which, it wants the EU to have a functioning military force, rather tricky when you don't actually have one yourself.

I couldn't agree more, de-escalation is a great concept and if we lived in a world where we could ensure that we 'de escalated' together then it is a wonderful idea. It's just that we don't. Ask how our trade partners in Asia feel about China building its own little island airbase or anyone blown up, run down or whatever by your local resistance/terrorist member..

Oh and given the increasingly interconnected world we live in, with lovely trade routes and integrated supply chains, the ability to keep those flowing is rather critical to our economy and our lives. So the ability to stop them is also rather handy.

Then we also enter the realm of 'why do we need tanks?' and I agree but then again in getting rid of them (because we don't invade countries anymore etc etc) are we guilty of preparing for today's war/combat and not understanding what is coming next?

And at no time have I said that larger defence budgets make for a safer world. Though you could argue that MAD in its own odd way, did keep the peace between the two largest, scariest militaries of the time.

Don't disagree on the last point though, you could also argue that their economic might has also been rather useful in keeping their hegemony going. And is that such an awful thing (current president excepted)? Could have been worse, we could have had a Russian Hegemony (that was lovely for those Eastern bloc states) or a Maoist one (great for Sparrows and starvation.) I cannot think of any other major power that was close in size to creating a Hegemony.

I merely pointed out that Germany is not meeting its legal obligations as per an agreement it has signed.

Are you referring the NATO comminiqués about "2% for defence"? Firstly, these are statements and not binding treatments: the German government may not by law sign any such binding agreements because the army is responsible to the parliament only. And secondly, the statements have set 2% only as a target.

2. Frenchie Lad

"Do you think there might possibly be a good reason for Germany having a shit army for all those years? And where's the threat supposed to come from since the Soviet army bankupted the USSR?"

The reason for US army bases in Germany is to remind the Boch of its place militarily however that shouldn't stop Germany from have a working army & airforce. Other countries have similar readiness issues.

You forget Russia's recent actions all around its territory including annexation of Crimea and earlier parts of Georgia and even Moldavia. In other countries including many European ones it's purpose is one of generating chaos; think of the Balkans. Putin's using the old tactic of foreign agression abroad to bolster his position @ home. A clear readiness to respond to any aggression is paramount for one's safety and having decent armed forces is one of them.

however that shouldn't stop Germany from have a working army & airforce.

It doesn't but respect for countries like Poland and the Czech Republic do.

You forget Russia's recent actions all around its territory including annexation of Crimea and earlier parts of Georgia and even Moldavia.

Nope. But seeing as all the US' massive firepower hasn't dissuaded Putin from invasions, I fail to see what a few more German planes and tanks would do.

Putin's using the old tactic of foreign agression abroad to bolster his position @ home.

Yes, and finding out that it's bloody expensive (Crimea is a real money pit for Moscow). Russia can cause trouble and has enough planes and missiles to invade most of its neighbours. But it has nowhere near enough good troops to hold anywhere. Hence the stalemate in Ukraine and the not so subtle attempts for a rapprochement with Europe. Presumably before it all kicks off again in the Causcuses

3. DavCrav

"And where's the threat supposed to come from since the Soviet army bankupted [sic] the USSR?"

I don't know. You could try asking the people of Georgia, the Crimea, Ukraine, Estonia, Moldova, and so on, where they see some military threat.

"De-escalation is a very reasoanable [sic] tactic."

Then you will support the UK pulling out of NATO, as mission accomplished, right?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

The EU wrote a report blaming Georgia for the troubles in S.Ossettia. Ass.Sec Nuland had some choice words about the EU in Ukraine whilst picking it's new government.

But Crimea's created a reason why there are RAF Typhoons based out of Romania patrolling EU.. I mean NATO airspace over the Black Sea. Perhaps that's something the UK will have to cancel if services are withdrawn by the EU.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Germany in particular has had to train with broom sticks"

It is true Germany for a long time found useful that nobody wanted it heavily armed, and used it at its own advantage, and now it has to change course and meet its obligation in defending itself and NATO allies.

Just, looking at the raise of AfD, one starts to wonder if that's really a good idea...

2. DavCrav

"Get back in your box, Donald. Leave international affairs to adults who understand what the phrase 'long-term interests' means."

It's not in the UK's long-term interest to leave the EU. But if we're going to do that, we seriously need to be saving money. Long-term interests are one thing, but spending billions on international aid and Europe's defence when we will need that to pay for medicine and food for the destitute millions is not a good idea.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gaileo was willy waving

Given GPS was available to us as US allies, it was hard to see why we needed to duplicate it: no European military could conduct a major military operation without US support, even ourselves and the French, and if you wanted to re-establish that capability, a "new GPS" would not be what you would start with: you would fill out military logistic support organisations, start running large military exercises again to rebuild the "corporate knowledge", and increase ammunition and spare part holdings to increase readiness. You can understand why Baidu and GLONASS were built, but not Galileo.

If we really feel the need to loft loads of military satellites, I suggest communication birds look far more useful.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Gaileo was willy waving

"no European military could conduct a major military operation without US support"

That's a way of saying without US approval and GPS is a part of that. It reduces the Europe to being simply vassals of US foreign policy. Now do you see why they wanted Galileo?

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ Doctor Syntax

"That's a way of saying without US approval and GPS is a part of that. It reduces the Europe to being simply vassals of US foreign policy. Now do you see why they wanted Galileo?"

Willy wagging. Do you really think the EU has the balls or the lack of braincells to go to war without the US being ok with it? If the US really disagreed with the EU going to war the EU would put its tail between its legs faster than the EU committee could figure out which direction they are going.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"If the US really disagreed with the EU going to war the EU would put its tail between its legs faster than the EU committee could figure out which direction they are going."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may well be right. Today.

That's why Galileo and the joint European military force are a step in the right direction.

With the right evolution, the EU could become one of the top 5 or 6 world powers.... which might add some needed balance.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well, it's nearly thirty years since we were told the EU was going to "handle" Bosnia. EU deployable forces now are a fraction of what was available then, and in the end they still required the US to take the decisions and supply the forces. The EU talks a lot about how it's planning on becoming a superpower, but experience shows it utterly lacks the will to do so: there has been no sign of them either spending or developing the backbone required. It's long past time to ignore these fantasies.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It reduces the Europe to being simply vassals of US foreign policy. Now do you see why they wanted Galileo?

So it could see which way it should have been going?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Now do you see why they wanted Galileo?"

They wanted to pretend they were actually able to mount independent operations without spending much money? As I pointed out, actually having that capability means serious spending over a medium to large period of time. There's no sign of that happening outside the likes of Eastern Europe.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Doctor Syntax,

That's all very well - but without the military investment the satellite capablity is a joke. Only Britain and France have any serious deployment capability at all - and we'd both be pretty overstretched by anything large nowadays.

Since the Commission decided to start shitting all over our post Brexit security cooperation (will be interesting to see how much of that stands when the Council of Ministers do the final deciding), Europe's defence capabilities look even weaker. For example (going from memory here) 13 out of 14 EU military deployments have been HQed out of Northwood. But that's ending next year, unless minds change. As the Commission's current position is that once we leave the EU, and not even during the transition period, we not only can't run joint HQs for missions we've been running for years - but even if we commit troops, we'll be allowed no joint decision making in how they're used. Which pretty much is saying, "fuck off we don't want your help" - as that's a pretty much unacceptable positon to take for a country committing forces. Even to the sort of peacekeeping stuff that the EU mostly does. The surprise of that decision seems to have come down to the weird negotiating strategy, where the Commission decided that the one important bit of Brexit was that the UK pay over loads of cash. And all other talking should be left to the last minute.

Running a joint forces, multi-national HQ can't be all that hard, these mostly aren't that complex missions. But it is suggestive that there's almost no existing EU HQ capacity.

Then we get to one of the most sensible bits of EU defence integration. The idea that as most EU countries have lower defence spending, they each specialise in certain capabiliites. Which can then be shared at need. It's a great idea in theory, as you get much better capabilities for smaller investment, rather then countries trying to do everything badly, and on a small scale. Except that when France called on Germany during the Libya campaign, for air transport/tanker assets, Germany said no. Since when, France has been trying to get much better bilateral military cooperation going with the UK - as France have rarely been happy to work through NATO, and the EU route hasn't borne that much fruit. Remember that France and Germany have joint military formations, and were supposedly the big two committing to EU defence cooperation.

The German foreign minister (later publicly shot down by Merkel) and French President both said in speeches last week that Europe can't rely on the US under Trump. Which leads to the question, what to do about it? I suspect Merkel contradicted that interview because her policy is not to increase defence spending very much at all. Germany's current budget is that it rise from 1.1% of GDP now, to 1.3% by 2020 - then start dropping again - so my suspicion is that current German policy is to do little and hope for the best. Trump being a one-term President and Russia not upping the ante anymore.

But there is a worry in Eastern Europe about security. Them being closer to Russia and all. Especially if Trump does manage 2 terms, and carries on being so erratic.

Britain went into Brexit negotiations pretty much accepting that we couldn't bargain our security cooperation for a better deal. What I don't think we were expecting was for the Commission to take the initiative and make post Brexit security cooperation so hard. In the case of Galileo of course there's hi-tech jobs for France and Germany to nick off us, but the other stuff seems to be nonsensical. Will be interesting to see how long that lasts? That's actually as likely to damage NATO as Trump's stupid antics. I've no idea what will happen. A deal on Galileo seems perfectly sensible, we've paid a huge chunk of the costs so far - and I think the UK government were gernally surprised at the decision, on the grounds that this was the security cooperation the EU were begging us not to mix up with Brexit.

We have an MOD satellite comms system called Skynet. I think we should threaten to give this GPS capability and then start building robot soldiers with human skin over metal endoskeletons. That should get everyone worried...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Only Britain and France have any serious deployment capability at all"

More importantly, only France has a truly independent strategic nuclear capability.

And it has an air force that does not need spare parts from the US (F35, I'm looking at you).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"But it is suggestive that there's almost no existing EU HQ capacity."

Probably because the US wants NATO - always run by a US general - to be the only multinational force in Europe.

It wasn't a coincidence that the Americans were dead set against Galileo, too, or that they want to basically take over the manufacturing of western fighter jets by pushing F-35s on all and sundry to saturate the market.

How long do you think an F-35 fleet would function without US support?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Europe is perfectly able to build its own fighter. The problem is that there are no economies of scale. Total Eurofighter orders from the 4 partners were not much more than 400. The US Marines alone are buying about that number of F35s.

Also there's no money for Eurofighter development, as even when the RAF have cash, Germany won't play. It would be easier if France would join, or at least not leave in a huff when they can't get 60% of the build contracts... But with Germany unwilling to spend, and France unwilling to cooperate, NATO are left with only the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

If there's one thing that both Tornado and particularly Eurofighter have proved is that European programs are a big failure. The overhead of these collaborative programs is such that they take multiples of the cost and time a single country led scheme would require. Plus, the French will never join: ever. It's noticeable that the only really successful Euro fighters are single country developments (the Gripen and the Rafale).

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Rupert Fiennes,

If there's one thing that both Tornado and particularly Eurofighter have proved is that European programs are a big failure.

Tornado can in no sense be called a failure. The program was started in the late sixties, and into operational deployment ten years later, which is perfectly reasonable. There was also a decent amount of development of the aircraft as time went on. Though admittedly not as much as if you've got something bigger-selling like the F16/F18. This is partly a problem as Germany and Italy are the two other biggest customers in Europe, and they won't spend that money. Which then means that other small European airforces choose to buy American - as that means their aircraft are kept current for longer.

But Tornado produced a good strike aircraft a decent air-defence supression one and an OK interceptor. For the UK role of defending the Greenland-Iceland-UK gap against Soviet long range naval aviation it was pretty good - you wouldn't want to dogfight in one though.

Eurofighter has turned out to be a decent enough aircraft. It could again do with more development spending, it's got the capability for variable direction thrust for example - but nobody will ante-up the cash. On the other hand, I suspect that dogfighting is over-rated, and is more for the Top Trumps school of aircraft selection. Had the partner nations not slashed their orders for aircraft, it would have come out decently priced as well. And it's not as if the planners were expecting the Cold War to end less than a decade after they placed orders for the thing.

France were even induced to join a successful and cheap scheme, which was Jaguar. Otherwise though they've been more noticeable for joining up, wasting everybody's time, then buggering off.

So I'm sure it could be done. With Eastern Europe now looking to replace ageing Soviet kit - there could have been a market for a decent European aircraft. But that would have needed willingness from Germany to open their cheque book, and pull their weight in defence terms. With Germany and the UK cooperating, it could have been done (even without France).

1. Lars Silver badge
                  Go

@ I ain't Spartacus

You might have missed that not so long ago France and Germany agreed to build the next gen fighter together. Too lazy to provide a link or two.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon