back to article ZX Spectrum Vega+ blows a FUSE: It runs open-source emulator

The ZX Spectrum Vega+ is running open-source Spectrum emulator software FUSE, The Register has confirmed while carrying out a hands-on review of the handheld console. As regular readers know, the Vega+ is the flagship product of Retro Computers Ltd, the company which took £513,000 in crowdfunded cash from members of the public …

Page:

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Taught a generation to program.....

Bah humbug. It taught a generation how to fit a program into 1/16/32/48/64K!

Now we have Win10 where 'Photos' takes up 100MB just to run a slideshow. Or do something in the background that consumes 100MB. I did a slideshow with wipes & dissolves on my trusty old C64. Admittedly the images were somewhat simpler, and it was a lot easier to stop it running.

(He says, doing the old man grumble having figured out how to kill off Photos.. for now, at least.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Taught a generation to program.....

....badly."

No - that was stackoverflow, outsourcing and Javascript.

1. onefang

"Taught a generation to program.....

....badly."

"No - that was stackoverflow, outsourcing and Javascript."

You're thinking about the generation that came after the Sinclair generation of bad coders.

1. Blood Vipre

Doomed

Why the hell would anyone want to make one of these when you can use an android phone and the plethora of emulators you can get on them, along with a Bluetooth joyoad.

They were available before this was crowdfunded and are available now, and the massive library of games on the world of spectrum site ready to be utilized.

I knew this would happen which is why I never bought into it. It really is just a gimmick, just like all the other mini retro consoles that have ripped people off.

My phone, screen mirroring to my big TV, and a joyoad. Job done. Or better still, my laptop and a long hdmi cable. Ideal for text adventutes. All for free. Thanks Johnothan Needle, for a great and easy to use emulator.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well done - best quotable.... quote

Best quote of the whole sorry mess... One thing is plain; this is not a Rick Dickinson design. Rather, it’s what happens when you look at a picture of a Rick Dickinson case design and trace round it with crayons.

3. J27

Having grown up in Canada, I had never even heard of the ZX Spectrum or Sir Clive Sinclair before the coverage of the Vega.

From someone with no nostalgia for this product, this thing looks like one of those cheap Chinese handhelds, with fewer games and an inflated price.

It doesn't look like "Retro Computers" does much other than steal open-source software and slap it onto already existing hardware and they take ages to do so. Why did they even need to crowd-fund this? It was shady from the start.

4. JulieM Silver badge
    Joke

Thatcher was wrong.

You *can* run out of other people's money.

5. pAnoNymous

Harsh but fair

Review seems harsh and kudos to the guys for trying to get their dreams realised but probably fair to people looking into buying this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Harsh but fair

I thought it was a sympathetic review, giving it 4/10 for powering up for example, 1/10 seems more realistic given that they could have put a Pi running an emulator inside and at least ended up with something that ran acceptably

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PSP?

I repurposed my old PSP, and ran Fuse on it. Looks like the same form factor, but with Sony’s build quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PSP?

Somehow that feels like cheating.

2. pontiffacot

Re: PSP?

Your PSP is way more powerful than the piece of shit reviewed here though. Honestly, it's worse than those junk Chinese knock-off handheld consoles, that is really saying something. A PSP runs circles around a 'Vega+'. Not only can your PSP run FUSE better, it can even emulate PSX and N64 games.

You can buy cheap watches these days that are superior to a Vega+.

These people should have spent their money on something worthwhile. It's insulting that this is how people choose to spend their money.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i LIKE THIS

I am not related in any way with these people , but to me , this looks fantastic. i would keep one of these in its original box and manuals. When your grandkids say " whatever happened to British mfr ?" you can bring this out and show them. A slice of history for £105 , nearly as good as a piece of berlin wall, or Saddams Golden toilet paper. Remember the original Apple II sold for 220,000? So bloody awful its great ...

1. pontiffacot

Re: i LIKE THIS

lol. Dude, this Vega+ is the cheapest bottom barrel hardware available with a free emulator and a few obscure Spectrum roms slapped onto an SD card. It's going to be as valuable in the future as those plastic handheld games produced during the 80's are today. Most of The cheap handheld 'gaming consoles' produced in China are actually superior to the Vega+ in every department. This is a total scam and even a 4/10 is too high of a rating.

8. Hate2Register

I paid for that console. Why should it end up for free on your desk for review? Call the bloody police.

9. darklord

I paid 9 quid for an emulator on my iphone and can play the same games (it came bundeled too.

Whilst this would be a nice idea The games (apart from Elite) where nothing special but this was the dawn of computer games.

Remember paying £20 a cassette in the early 80s in todays money that is over a £100.

Now game boys where far better prospect.

10. pontiffacot

Honestly this thing is a scam. Even 4/10 is too high. You would have a better experience and get a better value with a $20 Android phone from Wal-Mart. What a piece of shit LOL.

11. Ian Johnston Silver badge

You wait forever to get something which isn't what you expected and which doesn't work anyway. What could be a more authentic Sinclair experience?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon