back to article You should install smart meters even if they're dumb, says flack

The UK’s controversial smart meter programme will only succeed in saving consumers cash if people are made aware of the benefits, says Rob Smith, head of policy and public affairs at Smart Energy GB. Some 53 million smart meters are due to be installed in residences and small businesses by the end of 2020, at an estimated cost …

Page:

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: I like them

Has anyone found an Energy-Monitor that just lets you log to local storage?

How into DIY are you ? WOuld Open Energy Monitor be of any interest ? There are other even ore DIY projects, one I've fancied having a go at is a 16 channel one (meaning you can monitor each circuit in the "fuse" board) which is very DIY.

But to re-iterate - there is nothing that the smart meter does AND which is of benefit to the end user which needs a smart meter.

1. Carrot007

> Please tell us you didn't have a smart meter installed just for the energy monitor.

No one cares about the monitor after 5 minutes.

And you are aware that the clip on monitors and really shit at low usage levels? A real smart meter is not, but even then you unpluf the unit after a day or so.

1. Gerry 3

You don't need a massively expensive smart meter (professionally installed when you take a day off work) to monitor your consumption. As the name suggests, an Energy Monitor will do exactly that. They are orders of magnitude cheaper; mine was given to me free of charge under some energy efficiency programme. So simple to fit that your grandmother could do it.

The problem is that unless you've always been a complete muppet that's left the windows wide open in winter with the lights and heating on 24/7, or you become nocturnal, the scope for savings will be relatively small.

The truth is what they don't tell you - smart metering is all about rationing, firstly by making it prohibitively expensive to run cookers, washing machines and dryers in daylight or to use lightbulbs after dark, and secondly by compulsory personal power cuts if you don't comply.

As the Remainians found out to their cost, you really can't fool all the people all the time !

Whoops - JimboSmith beat me to it. Must be telepathy... have an upvote !

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Great minds and all that have an upvote back.

2. Wensleydale Cheese
        Happy

So simple to fit that your grandmother could do it.

My grandmother's method of fitting anything was to get me to do the job.

I in turn was rewarded by her excellent cooking :-)

Yeah, totally off topic, but good memories ought to be shared.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@instinct46

Sadly mate you are on the wrong forum, this is the one where you will be ridiculed or patronised if you actually have one, draw on direct experience and have the temerity to acknowledge that they can be an asset.

You need to find some other forum if you think you have a valid point or want a reasoned debate..

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Sadly mate you are on the wrong forum

I don't very often downvote, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception. Mainly because your remark is patronising...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Pompous Git

'Mainly because your remark is patronising'

So you got the point then, downvote? Truly, I am crushed...

1. John Lilburne

HaHaHa.

We had E.ON around the other month to install one. Seems they needed a mobile signal connection. Tough you only get mobile signal in our village if you stand on the cistern in the pub's loo. Installer shrugged and beat a retreat.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only went through because of corruption. Huge waste of money attempting to put everyone on smart meters.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jan/30/lords-energy-bill

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the Netherlands the old meters count backwards when feeding back to the grid. In the olden days nobody did that. But in the days of solar panels it's the most economic way for the customer. You probably can understand why they want smart meters.

4. Wolfclaw

No "Smart" meter for me, if they need I reading, I provide that online, now whether companies like First Utility can provide an accurate bill, that is a big question, for the last 18 months they have been an EPIC FAIL ! !

5. Daniel Snowden
    FAIL

Who's delivering it?!?

"However, the technical delivery of the national platform behind smart meters – which is the responsibility of the Capita-run Data Communications Company"

Capita? Now I'm worried!

6. Slx

I wonder about this kind of approach.

Spending money on retrofitting homes with modern levels of insulation, heat recovery ventilation, high insulation windows and sensible levels of insulation in plumbing systems would make more sense.

The insulation levels found in a lot of buildings in the UK and in Ireland is often really primitive.

Even something simple like getting rid of "immersion" tanks would make sense. I am not aware of anywhere else in the world that heats water by storing it in a bare copper cylinder, often insolated by a badly fitted fibreglass "jacket" held on with tie strings.

Elsewhere in the world water heaters are usually highly insulated tanks that suffer from very very little heat loss. There's actually no reason for things like electric showers and instantaneous high wattage water heaters if this stuff is done right. You should be getting your hot water from solar and whatever fuel you are using to heat your radiators and storing it in a super efficiently insulated tank.

Classic systems in these islands basically blast heat into an "airing cupboard".

Britian and Ireland need to address the obvious before going to solutions like smart metering.

A major programme of retrofitting homes would be a less PR-sexy but far more impactful measure.

We've some degree of this going on in Ireland with grant aid and tax incentives to upgrade things but it really should be scaled up.

7. NonSSL-Login
    Thumb Down

The question not asked....

Will continuing to use my appliances at the times I currently use them, cost me more than it is now? Taking in to consideration inflation similar variables.

I full suspect that prices will increase for those that do not wish to use their washing machine, Iron, kettle etc at 3am in the morning.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The question not asked....

Will continuing to use my appliances at the times I currently use them, cost me more than it is now? Taking in to consideration inflation similar variables.

In theory no. The reason for that is that on the wholesale market power prices vary every half hour of every day, and that's for the "spot" market. Most volume is traded in advance through contracts. What the energy supplier does is then to smooth out all of the variability in the wholesale pricing, the various time of use charges for transmission and distribution systems, and charges you a fixed price.

So if the time of use charging had minimal additional costs, and was reflective of the underlying costs, then on a variable tarriff you shouldn't be paying extra. If you shifted some of your demand from peak to off peak hours you'd be better off on average, but the actual benefit should be quite small - you still need to recover the transmission and distribution costs of the whole system and they won't really change, you still need to recover the asset and operating cost of generation. And if enough people shifted their demand, then the off peak prices rise anyway.

Time of use charging is being pushed by the government (DECC, now BEIS) who see this as a way of fixing the huge policy mess they've created, that means that as old thermal plant is decommissioned, nobody wants to build new plant because the market structures won't provide the returns that encourage new build (despite the subsidies of the "capacity market"). If BEIS can avoid the need for more power stations by pricing that forces families to cook their evening meal after 21:00, and send the kids to school in damp clothes, that's an entirely acceptable outcome for civil servants.

2. Gerry 3

Re: The question not asked....

Prices will rocket if your usage pattern remains unchanged, but there will be massive sleight of hand to make it almost impossible to compare competitors' tariffs. There will be all sorts of opportunities for price confusion and hidden 'Ryanair' charges.

Use energy at peak times? That'll cost you. Exceed a peak kW threshold? That'll cost you. Use more than so many kWh in a month? That'll cost you.

Don't want you own personal power cuts? Yes sir, peace of mind for you and your family is available with our uninterruptable tariff available for the nominal amount of just £50 per quarter and only 10p extra per unit. Then you'll never be in the dark again (unless there's a power cut across the whole area).

Dumb People have Smart Meters; Smart People have Dumb Meters.

8. markowen58

import/export meters and storage

Do the current specs for the smart meters incorporate export metering?

Having a national roll out that would improve the infrastructure to accommodate customers being able to more easily fit PV and storage in the home would make sense. It's the tea drinking that gets us in this country, specifically when Corrie has a break.

So why not have a small scale energy storage solution that covers that peak, but is charged throughout the day, same for electric showers, evening off the peaks in demand?

There also seems to be a complete lack of recognition that wind and solar require a similar build out of storage.

If smart meters were part of a wider co-ordinated programme that incorporated generation at the traditional plant level through to home generation, and co-ordinating a distribution network upgrade that acts as a market place to buy and sell energy, for individuals and companies to generate, store and consume, then it would make sense.

As is, the smart meter roll out just seems like a marketers/snoopers wet dream, with little to no benefits for the cost we've been asked to pay through our bills.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: import/export meters and storage

Do the current specs for the smart meters incorporate export metering?

Yes. SMETS2 compliant smart meters are required to record active export of power.

However, that's not really material for most people, because the main payments (for older PV contracts) are the generation component (recorded on your PV generation meter), and the export element (a further and much smaller payment) is at present usually guessed at 50% of the generated power. Export metering for domestic users will for the most part merely shift the incidence of those export payments between different PV households to those who don't use as much of their PV output from those who use more. If you can it is generally better to use on site and not to export because the additional export rate is usually much lower than your grid imports.

Having said that, the whole UK PV scheme has been a misbegotten scam, throwing money at a technology that doesn't help us at all, and puts up evertybody else's bills.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: import/export meters and storage

It's the tea drinking that gets us in this country, specifically when Corrie has a break.

There's a kernel of truth in that, but the reality is that the main problem oif the whole system is being able to accomodate peak demand on the three or so peak days. These are usually the coldest weekdays away from public holidays, and reflect full commercial and industrial use, full domestic municipal and transport demands, and the peak is somewhere between 16:00 and 21:00. Being the coldest days, people are using electricity for top up heating, storage heaters are depleted, so those users have them on in non-storage mode, everybody's inside, and every light in the land is on.

TV schedules have little bearing on that peak demand nowdays.

9. Moeluk
    FAIL

Need more than one network...

To me the idiocy of the scheme comes down to its piss poor planning and implementation. My mother had a chap come down the drive the other month to survey and inform her about the fact they would be coming round to install a smart meter for her electicity....

Small problem he spotted they couldn't install it because there was no mobile network signal...except, there is....so clearly what he actually means is "you don't have the signal of our chosen network operator"

Well that's just bloody idiotic, between them all they cover 99.9% of the U.K., surely you'd setup multiple agreements with multiple operators? Or am I just thinking logically here?

1. Carrot007

Re: Need more than one network...

You believe that you can get a mobile signal in 99.9% of the UK.

I have news for you.....

2. Doctor Tarr

Re: Need more than one network...

Well Telefonica are running the communication services (DCC) in the central and South East areas for the next 15 (+5) years.

When the first meters were installed they all had the same time set for sending data so swamped the local mast. They also all had the same retry period. Doh.

This is a pretty simple but fundamental consideration that was overlooked or not implemented. What else have they missed.

10. Barry Rueger

Refrigerator

17 billion would easily replace about 17 million 20+ year old refrigerators.

I suspect that would save significantly more electricity than "smart" meters ever will.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Refrigerator

I suspect that would save significantly more electricity than "smart" meters ever will.

You do know that you're not supposed to do the sums don't you? Have an upvote before the downvoters descend upon you for heresy.

11. Natasha Live

I think they have missed a trick here. A lot of people are complaining about not being able to get them due to poor network coverage. Well, would not smart meters in (nearly) every home be the perfect candidate for a mesh network? Then all you would need is one meter with coverage to provide network for an area? They already say that changes to your tariff may take 24hrs to reach your meter, so speed of connection is not an issue here.

I have been suing this sort of meter for at least a decade (networked meter that is) in the business I work at. It helps save a lot of money when it was rolled out as we could look at usage patterns and adjust. Of course, businesses saved most of the money from smoothing their usage. Businesses are being charged a "peak demand" fee. If it's higher than you need to are throwing money away, if you cross it you are hit by extra charges. Being able to reduce the peak and spread it out meant we could save on the fixed fee, ensure we did not cross the newer, lower threshold and still run in a very similar manner as before. Net effect was no real difference in total kWh, but lower bills.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's fine, but all of that can be done (and has been done) without the "off switch" and other unnecessary stuff in the current UK residential (and small business?) smart meters. If your electricity demand is big enough to have a "maximum demand" factor in the price, you're in a different ballpark than most homes and small shops/offices/etc.

If your electricity demand is big enough to have a "maximum demand" factor in the price, you're in a different ballpark ...

Until that is, they start offering tariffs including a maximum demand element as a way of skimping on the local distribution network.

12. Flywheel

"whether all locations will have the necessary wireless signal"

This may be an incentive for the government to give the mobile operators a well-deserved kick to improve their coverage.

And of course, if a Smart Meter can send a signal it will almost certainly be able to receive a signal, so we can look forward to phased power cuts when we don't pay our bills or the government finally decides not to build new power stations to keep the lights on...

13. bin

The king's new clothes

What I love about the 21st Century is how we are always looking for a hi-tch solution to a lo-tech problem.

We are using too much power (or rather we cannot generate enough power to meet the demands that we have created with all our electric stuff.)

So how come every time I watch the news on BBC there are ranks of unused computers with their LED/LCD monitors glowing away using power to create heat to raise the temperature to require air-con to keep the temperature down. Seeing cities at night with millions of lights and computers and god knows what all churning away for nothing makes me boil - in a low energy way of course.

So what do we do - well it's obviously too hard for anyone who goes to work to actually switch off their computer or the lights so lets jump on consumers at home because they're an easy target.

Lets put in more computers and servers to run complicated smart meter systems with all the IT infrastructure and meetings and spreadsheets and reports and all the other crap that corporate mumbo-jumbo thrives on rather than actually face the facts.

If you eat too much you get fat - nothing to do with your genes or your bones - you're just a greedy slob.

If you consume more power than you can generate (oh and while you're doing it you can destroy in a few hundred years what nature took billions of years to produce (Go Mankind - yaaaaay) then the answer is to consume less.

If industry and businesses showed a willingness to reduce obvious excessive consumption at night and thereby set an example then maybe folks would get behind other methods of helping reduce consumption. However these days all we want is more gadgets, more machines, more 24/7/365 everything. Well, good luck with that. I'll be dead when the shit hits the fan and the climate goes into meltdown - literally. Many readers here and their children may not be so lucky - but then they'll have a app to tell them how hot it's going to be so they'll be happy - and they can read their smart meter whenever they want - it will help I'm sure.............

14. PrimaryKey

Conflict of signals

We had our smart meters installed last week. I did so because the old ones required me to become a contortionist to read them.

I noticed a problem with the home wifi almost immediately after the smart meter and in home display were operating. A quick google search confirms that the smart meters use the 2.4GHz Zigbee standard and will clash with home wifi because they use channels that overlap the popular home wifi channels. I have managed to change the channel my Access Point was using but I wonder how many others will be able to do so. Once the rollout reaches a critical mass and the general population start to report wifi problems the mainstream media will no doubt pick this up and the whole thing will then get suspended followed by a public enquiry and more money wasted.

Why they couldn't have chosen technology that wouldn't interfere is beyond me. Will it make me change my power usage? No. All lighting is either LED or CFL where used for long periods.

15. ahowlett

Missing the best bit...

The real price of electricity in the UK varies every 30 minutes, from (say) £15 per kWh at 5pm on a cold January work day, to pretty much nothing at 2am in August. Right now, almost everyone pays a flat rate of 12-15p/kWh, (which is about the right price), but no consumer can really reduce their bill by moving their consumption times (except through Economy 7, which is bad for most consumers).

I would like:

a. Smart meters to show the rough price per kWh we are using, and

b. Smart meters to record the half-hour consumption data so that consumers can be charged appropriately.

Thus, people who are financially stretched could save money, and it would be good for the planet too.

Re: Missing the best bit...

Hard to know if you are being sarcastic or serious ...

Smart meters to show the rough price per kWh we are using

That's what the in-home display is for

Smart meters to record the half-hour consumption data so that ...

That's what they do

But the issue is that once the suppliers have the chance, that £15/kWH in the dark winter won't be getting averaged out in the same way. That will get passed onto the users daft enough to have smart meters as a way of "persuading" them to not use lecky then. That's the point, rationing of demand by pricing - so the poor will sit in the dark, shivering while they starve, while the well off can moan but carry on regardless.

16. Jon Jones 73

"Smart meters are being touted as a means of allowing consumers to switch providers"

You can already do that. It's quite simple.

"and help people to reduce their energy consumption"

The only way to reduce your energy consumption is to use less energy, no meter can help you do that any better than just looking at your bill.

"and switch their usage away from peak times"

What you mean those peak times when people are actually at home rather than at work?

17. Doctor Tarr

Almost Compulsory

Once the rollout starts in earnest they will be pretty much compulsory. Unless you can prove with an 'engineer' visit that you can't get an adequate signal then you'll have to pay a surcharge.

Obviously it won't be framed like this but if you're not on a smart meter you won't get the 'discount'. You might also be charged for a third party to read the meter.

The only benefit to consumers would be to allow instant switching or the ability to 'top up' with energy from any supplier (allowing brokers to get bulk discounts for consumers). Granted it's complex but, as there is no advantage to the big 6 in doing this it will never happen.

Does the £17bn saving include the £12bn that this is costing? It's bullshit anyway 'cos the costs will be much higher and the savings minimal.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Almost Compulsory

Is this your opinion or do you have something to quarterback that claim about "compulsory"? I will just Faraday cage under the stairs where the meter is if they make them compulsory I know there's a good earth connection under there.

18. ZippedyDooDah
    Devil

I can read my own meters

I am already a smart user. I read my meters monthly to coincide with billing cycles. I submit the readings online and I update my spreadsheet with the readings. I know what my bills are long before I get them by email.

Can I get a discount by not needing smart meters?

19. LisaJK

WTP

What's the point???

I am an engineer, I know how much energy everything I use consumes. I use what I need to use. Furthermore, every electricity user is paying via their energy bill for those who have smart meters fitted. I don't want to pay for other people to have them and I have no opt out.

Even for an idiot, just turning stuff off when you don't need it will do just as well.

An interconnected meter with variable energy cost is a different matter, i.e. your washing machine washes when energy cost is lowest, etc.

Finally, I have no mobile signal in my area. A centrally connected smart meter won't work. Why can't they all use PLC???

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like