Badges for Commentards

Today we introduce badges for commentards. This feature will be rolling out over the next few hours. Check out our story here.

This topic was created by Drewc .

Page:

1. Elmer Phud

Blazing Saddles quote

"We don' need no steeeekeeng badges!"

1. Fink-Nottle
      Paris Hilton

Re: Blazing Saddles quote

... which was cribbed from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Paris, coz she probably has mounted Federales on film too.

2. Grikath
    Alert

hmmm Weirdness...

Member since 2007-10-13.... Check

Haven't change handle since forever ....Check

Postcount this year >100 ... Check.

So according to the criteria posted I should be entitled to a bronze thingie. Yet while my "your posts" page is getting close to a pagecount of 5 ( @ 50 posts per page), mostly from this year, the info in "Details/my forums" states:

"My posts

In total, your 5 public posts have been upvoted 590 times and downvoted 93 times.

View them here"

Unless I have made some truly epic posts to get that amount of applause and derision that may have happened to slipped my mind, I'd say something is wonky here. Specifically that somehow any post after jan/2008 is not counted, even though the up/downvotes are.

*Disclaimer* This post is entirely engendered by a deep worry that something may be amiss in the back-end of the precious Commentard Archive at Vulture Central, and has nothing to do with El Reg handing out Shineys... welll sort of anyways

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hmmm Weirdness...

Same here.

Also, can I give my badge away?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can you give your badge away?

Who to?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks for bug report

I have gotten your 5 public post message too - sent to devs to investigate.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks for bug report

I have the same issue, forums.theregister.co.uk/my/posts/ says:

"In total, your posts have been upvoted 2027 times and downvoted 559 times."

Whereas account.theregister.co.uk/edit/forums says:

"In total, your 5 public posts have been upvoted 2024 times and downvoted 549 times."

I'd say about half of my posts are AC and I've never changed my alias. Any idea what is going on?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hmmm Weirdness... Your 5 public posts

On the bug list.

3. JDX Gold badge

Bug?

I see badges against other posters' posts, but not against my own. However if I go to "view your posts" by badge IS shown.

edit: just because I can! Woop.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Bug?

I can see badges on all posts, including my own. Except when I hit reply, at which point I've just got your post and the comment box. Now your badge has disappeared, and only the 'ignore user' button is still visible.

1. JDX Gold badge

Yeah I see my badge on the post above, it seems the badge isn't shown immediately on new posts or something.

edit: oh it worked this time, maybe things were still being rolled out.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Hmmm. Interesting. Now my post shows the badge. But just after I hit post, and it went back to the forum, I could see your badge, but not mine. However when I linked back here from the list of my posts, it was there. So I guess it just doesn't update when you first hit post.

As you say, after posting this one, I had badge. Perhaps the mice inside their servers were just tired with all the lunchtime posts?

4. DF118
    Thumb Up

Damn, if I'd kept my old handle I would have a silver badge, snif :'(

Oh well, best get posting. Now if I could only think of something useful to say that adds to the discussion...

5. Richard 120
    FAIL

Quality rather than Quantity

I must try to curb my desire for a badge, I'm only a few posts off a bronze badge, but I don't want to just post for the sake of it.

Oh, wait....

oops (the fail is my own)

6. Isendel Steel
    Pint

Copper

Can we have a copper one for lurking on the site for a long time ?

7. J. R. Hartley

Sorry but the badges are a really naff idea :/

8. Mad Hacker

Hey I send in a lot (well several) corrections using the corrections link...

So I want a reward system for sending corrections in using the corrections link. Oddly it doesn't use the forum name when submitting so it cannot be linked to forum badges. Hmmm.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hey I send in a lot (well several) corrections using the corrections link...

We don't require people to be signed in to file a correction. And that means hand-tooling whatever we do.

Our production guys are the ones with handle on who the regulars are - if we have names, we can cross-match against handles. Not perfect, I know.

9. O RLY
    Pint

four pages of comments

and most commentards have badges. Impressive.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I have a gold badge please?

I submit the following points to aid in your consideration of my shameless self-promotion:

1) I believe that the 5-minute editing window was my idea...certainly I was the first to suggest it last time we had a round of suggestions for forum improvement.

2) I'm 220 upvotes short of silver. This sounds like hard work which I'm obviously not prepared to put in.

3) I don't give much of a shit about the badge, but I could really do with editing...I seem to have a mental block where pre-submit proofreading is concerned.

4) Out of four pages of commentarding, I'm the only one with the barefaced cheek and total lack of shame required to just ask. Obviously you don't want to open the floodgates, but pioneering should be rewarded, no?

Thanks for listening. I shall be appearing under the pier all week. Please take a leaflet on your way out.

11. The BigYin

How to edit?

Apparently there is a 5 minute window in which a post can be edited (if yer a silver badger)

That true? Where is the option then?

1. The BigYin

Re: How to edit?

Hmm...all I can find is "Withdraw"

1. Anonymous John

Re: How to edit?

I can't find it either.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This post was edited by me post publication

Let's find out...OK I pressed save. A few seconds later - my post appeared on screen with edit button.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Jim 59

Register badge == wastes time at work

or so potential employers might think

1. The BigYin

Re: Register badge == wastes time at work

Ah yes, that's because my CV says "Mr. BigYin" on it. Plus I list the handles I use on the sites because I am just that freakin' awesome!

Actually I don't think I want to work for someone who doesn't understand that when you are bashing your forehead off the desk, it can sometimes be helpful to think about something else for 5 mins. And if I did work for something like that, they'd get 9-5, work-to-rule and the current overtime I do for free would be time-and-half, double on weekend and holidays.

btw - nice bronze you got there. :)

1. the-it-slayer
        Joke

Shame you can't spell ya name right. You're still sage!

Bronze will do me as I'd never thought I'd get any at all. And ner-niccy ner ner to all the android-tards. Smile!

1. the-it-slayer
          Facepalm

*sigh* I can't spell either. Friggin' "g" key!

13. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Yay

I found out about these badges from my email inbox - my first thought when I saw an email about the Register Forums was "oh shit, has Paris Hilton or Apple finally decided to sue me for libel or something?", but then to my joy, it was the best news I have literally had all, well not day, but in last five minuets at least!

My suggestion for additional badges would be one called "P+" which stands for "Paris Positive" for those of us like me who just cant shake her off, so to speak, and always have one working brain cell devoted to finding the Paris Hilton angle on a story. How about it?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Yay

Maybe stories need a PH +/- system. Not up/down votes, but Paris Hilton votes to determine how Hiltony the article is. :)

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Paris Hilton

Re: Yay

That's a great idea - just like the article rating system but for Parisness!

Paris Hilton Audience Level of Liking Unit System or PHALLUS for short!

14. Havin_it

Tear it all down.

I'd like to recommend that the forums be scrapped altogether, as they have proved a massive drain on my productivity time and the posts seldom add anything of merit to the intent/substance of the article. I know mine never did. Even if such a thing were possible, you could always email the author and make a case for a Bootnote to be added if it was really worth it. Too much chatter. Do not like.

Just in case for some unfathomable reason you don't see fit to accede to my demands, my back-up suggestion is an "Orlowski" badge: nobody's quite sure how you earn one, but it awards you the power to disable all dissentreplies to your posts.

1. Havin_it
      Coat

Additional badges

While we're at it, I'd like the chance to earn:

1) The Lucy Sheriff Badge, for contributing valuable original jargon to the Reg Lexicon;

2) The Rusty Sheriff's Badge, for the same thing but ruder.

15. Leona A
    Childcatcher

I do not think rewards should be given on number of posts, it should be based on the quality of the posts, maybe the number of Upvotes rather than posts, otherwise you encourage quantity over quality, just my 10p's worth.

16. deshepherd

Hmmm

Not sure whether I like the idea of badges but the way they appear against postings to my mind is so ugly that I've just adblock-ed all 3 images ... so, go ahead, get your badges - won't bother me as I won't see them!

17. James 47

Apparently I have 5 public posts. I'm not sure what this means? I've posted far more often than that, both publicly and as AC.

1. Corinne

Same - looking at details it says I have 5 public posts, and I made more than that in the last couple of days and I nearly always post under my name not as AC

Coat

Looks like that's a known bug, as someone mentioned it above (or in the bug thread), and Drewc said they were investigating.

Talking of which, what do you call an alligator who's wearing a vest?

An investigator.

Nurse! My coat please.

2. Minty

fixed

at least, should be.

evil bugs.

1. Corinne
        Thumb Up

Re: fixed

Yep seems to be - I suddenly have 134 posts :)

18. Mikel

2000 thumbs up for silver? Going to be a year at this rate

I guess my input isn't as popular as some. Ah, well. I try to give truth, not be popular. That's not going to change.

19. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Unhappy

One week later

and the new markup does not work....

2. Minty

Re: One week later

ahem, slight snafu in who got what1.

should be fixed

$techies->whip

1 : bronze lacked extra html, and silver the ability to edit posts. Both should be fixed. Sorry :/

ps. I used my special powers to get a bronze badge long enough to post this, then reverted back to regular commentard ...

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: One week later

and the new markup does not work....

Are you sure it doesn't?

subscript and superscript

What about lists:

• type some html
      • type a list of things
      • press preview

Profit?

20. Andrew Pike
    Flame

The backlash starts here.....

Badges on El Reg? - really, what has the world come to!!!

For me this sort of social, community, collabollocks is the antithesis of what El Reg is about. Did you consult the BOFH on this? Stob? - I bet not.

...and another thing - it's bloody confusing - I thought millions of El Reg moderators had suddenly sprung up all over the forums with their little vulture icons.

Cease and desist immediately!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon