Ye Bug List

Shaun's tried to post this on the Boot's thread: Philosophy is not dead, it just smells funny. I see an "Approve" and "Reject" buttons - not sure why - but Approve doesn't work. Did it trip a spam checker?

This topic was created by Andrew Orlowski .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Comments' time indication

Nope. It says "in the last few minutes", whatever that means.

Hint to ElReg: Computers are rather good a timestamping stuff.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

jake, thanks for testing. Now my comments say again "in the last few minutes", too. Don't know what was wrong. Anyway, I still think we should go back to a proper timestamp.

(jake, do you have a personal fan down-voting you?;-)

1. jake Silver badge

"jake, do you have a personal fan down-voting you?"

Probably several. For the most part, I ignore them. All they are doing is proving that ElReg's system of "voting" means absolutely nothing in the great scheme of things.

"ElReg's system of "voting" means absolutely nothing in the great scheme of things"

Quite right. Then again, in the great scheme of things neither our comments mean much more...

1. jake Silver badge

Precisely. Did you even spend time on Usenet, Evil Auditor?

I see commentarding on ElReg as background radiation ...

Usenet, not anymore. Now I'm content with El Reg commentarding. Why even this? Don't know really, maybe for a bit of distraction during work hours.

1. jake Silver badge

I typoed "even". I meant "ever".

Your answer answered my question. Background radiation ;-)

Exactly :-) But, to be honest, I got some useful information from Usenet on very specific topics.

Back to my original post, it seems to be a problem with Opera. Time indication starts "An hour ago" and also the edit function is not available. Then again, Opera has never really been supported by ElReg's site. Maybe another reason why I'm writing this comment twice - the first attempt just disappeared.

1. Anonymous Coward
                        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Comments' time indication

We semi-support Opera ... typically what happens is that Opera releases a new version: it breaks something on our site. If it is easy to fix, we will fix it.

2. BlueGreen

this "in the last few minutes" business is presumably driven by jscript. I don't use js. It would be nice if the site recognised that and just put a plain, nothing-clever timestamp on.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enable edit of anonymous/named status of forum post

Would it be possible to make the anon flag of a post editable as well (for the 10 minute edit status)? At the moment, the post itself can be edited for 10 minutes, but not its anon status, which means a post withdrawal and re-submit to correct that..

2. as2003

Embeded Flash YouTube

Not really a bug, but I don't have Flash installed which means none of the embeded youtube videos work because you're using the flash player.

I wouldn't mention it, except for the fact that I know you could use an HTML5 player.

For example, in the recent article on the PiPhone [1], I just see a big grey "plugin missing" box, but if I navigate to the source article [2] (where they are using the HTML5 player), it plays perfectly well.

[1] (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/28/chap_builds_mobe_based_on_raspberry_pi/)

[2] (http://www.davidhunt.ie/piphone-a-raspberry-pi-based-smartphone/)

Also, If I remember correctly, you're using some weird overlay which obscures the 'youtube' logo bottom right, thus making it impossible to click through to the video's page on youtube.

1. Matt@ElReg

Re: Embeded Flash YouTube

Hi as2003

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

We think we've fixed the problem now if you'd care to take another look.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/28/chap_builds_mobe_based_on_raspberry_pi/

Cheers

1. as2003

Re: Embeded Flash YouTube

I missed your response, but I didn't miss a whole bunch of videos suddenly being visible in recent articles. Thanks!

Incidentally, I'm still being asked to install Adobe Flash Player on every page, but I believe that is due to the current set of adverts.

3. BlueGreen

The Register uses cookies. Find out more. Close

I'm all in favour of laws when they make sense, so how about you give the finger to this stupid legal cookie warning requirement.

In the unlikely event you get taken to court, you'd have a whole lot of competent tech guys who'd stand up for you. Thoughts?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Register uses cookies. Find out more. Close

We would put our heads above the parapet on an important point of principle or to defend ourselves and/ or a source against a vexatious libel suit. Otherwise, we take the the view with law that it is more important not to lose than to win Lawsuits soak up management time and money. And sometimes they add a great deal of stress.

So the answer is no - we will observe the law, however stupid we think it is.

1. Vic

Re: The Register uses cookies. Find out more. Close

> Lawsuits soak up management time

So they're not *all* bad, then? :-)

Vic.

4. mr_souter_Working

Problem with IE and el Reg

for the last few days (probably all week) - whenever accessing the register from IE10 or 11 (work and home - 3 different computers) - one of the CPU cores is maxed out, and IE hangs - it doesn't happen on all parts of the site - or all the time - but it is regular enough to become a real annoyance - i cannot change to any other site, i need to crash out of IE completely to proceed.

Chrome doesn't seem to have any issues - but i have noticed the same problem on 2 laptops and a desktop - all after accessing the register.

5. Edwin

WinPho app (red-faced vulture bug)

I told myself I wouldn't be a pedant, but when I saw it today, I couldn't help it anymore:

If the WinPhone app is unable to load an article it informs me that it's unable to 'retreive' the content.

The fact that it throws up an error message from time to time is one thing, but could you please, please, please fix the typo? "i" before "e" and all that.

Much obliged.

6. as2003

Something very strange going on in this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/25/schmidt_hits_the_fanbois_samsung_had_your_shiny_new_toys_years_ago/

Looks like an </object> tag is missing.

And while I'm here, can I ask what the justification for the Register overlay on youtube videos is? It's mildly irritating that I can't close adverts and popups in the videos, and the link to the video's page on youtube is not working.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not our overlay

This is a Bloomberg video and hence its overlay and its ad.

PS I think the video tag was fixed a while ago.

7. as2003

> Not our overlay

> This is a Bloomberg video

Sorry, yes, I was actually referring to the youtube videos that appear in other articles.

> I think the video tag was fixed a while ago.

In the article I mentioned? Curiously it still appears broken to me in Chromium 37.0 (in both Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 7)

8. IHateWearingATie

buggy Android app

The Android app on a Samsung galaxy s4 (Android 4.4.2 currently) had two very annoying bugs.

It fails opening stories that have any embedded video - the whole article, not just the video itself. It gives a page not loaded error in the frame where the text should be

Second, it randomly fails to load the comments page for some articles- can't see any pattern to it, probably 25 % of the time. It gives a connectivity error as though there is no Internet access, but it happens on wifi as well as on cellular data and when I switch to the browser I have no problem getting to the article on the Web site.

I barely use the Android app any more as it is so buggy. Sorry!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: buggy Android app

Ok we have not updated this app - and OS changes have made it pretty bad. We do plan to update this app though - will keep you posted when we have news to share.

9. jake Silver badge

Just a note.

I'm on "the naughty step", for whatever reason[1].

When I edit a comment, instead of "Submitted and awaiting moderation ..." with an underlying "withdraw", all I see is the "withdraw".

[1] ElReg's site, ElReg's rules. I'm cool with that.

1. jake Silver badge

Test ( was: Re: Just a note.)

This is just a test.

And now edited.

Second edit. Same problem.

10. Chris Evans

Older Stories missing four days

The front page's oldest story is 'Five days old' 24 Dec 2014 at 11:13,

Clicking on 'Older Stories' and the latest story is: NINE days old 20 Dec 2014 at 01:33

All the news stories between them don't seem to listed:-(

n.b.The new policy of having things listed as X days old rather than giving a posted date/time is a real pain. Many people will know I last read thereg on say 23rd/24th at 4p.m.

11. Glenturret Single Malt

Daily newsletter

There was no content in today's newsletter (Monday 5th January) as received by Thunderbird and BT Yahoo Mail. However, the version seen using Outlook was complete.

12. Daggerchild Silver badge

Down the back of the sofa

Post a comment. Oops. Edit comment. Wait for premod approval. Approved. Post goes down the back of the sofa.

Confirmed by sofafication of duplicate of this post.

(and while I'm here, I doubt rendered pages should be saying "window.top.$(function() { window.top.$('#advertise-bg').css('position', 'fixed'); });" at the bottom, but that may be my odd browser)

13. Daggerchild Silver badge

Down the back of the sofa.

Post a comment. Oops. Edit comment. Wait for premod approval. Approved. Post goes down the back of the sofa.

If you can't see this, it's true. If you can see this, it's not, but I have at least one confirmed Scrodinger's comment between worlds atm.

14. Vimes

Are different adverts allowed to load different scripts?

I only ask because some of the ads - most notably the O2 one that has been appearing recently - that appear in the page background don't seem to move unless you might click on the page, at which point the position of the advert is updated.

Previously some adverts stuttered about in terms of position as I scrolled which suggests to me that position was being controlled via JavaScript rather than by CSS. Other page background adverts - the ones that do seem to be controlled via CSS - seem to be unaffected and the position doesn't seem to move at all (or rather still get displayed no matter how much I scroll).

15. Vimes

Problem with this sites CSS?

On a number of occasions over the last few days the font used is Times New Roman (or something that looks very much like it). It seems to happen sporadically too. I don't think it's my connection as this has happened now on my work PC, my home PC and even my phone.

1. Vimes

Re: Problem with this sites CSS?

It seems to happen mostly with comments on articles in 'the channel' section of this site. Not sure if this helps.

It also happens in both Chrome and Metro IE.

1. Marco Fontani

Re: Problem with this sites CSS?

Belated reply, but the site's fonts on Channel subdomains was fixed a few weeks ago

16. Anon

El Reg pages don't scroll from the keyboard any more...

... because the login is auto-focused.

Please take away the auto-focus: I am sure it is much more common to go to a page and use the space bar or arrow keys to look around the page than it is to want to log in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: El Reg pages don't scroll from the keyboard any more...

It was a bug, kinda bad UI, and was fixed yesterday so today it's become an imaginary problem.

Drew

P.S. Thanks for the report.

17. What What?

Site constantly refreshig

Seem to be having an issue on most of the pages - they're constantly refreshing. looks like it's the last link under spotlight that tries to reload every few seconds. happening under Firefox and IE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Site constantly refreshig

Bug?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Forward to tech for perusal

1. What What?

Thanks Drew,

the Reg is the only site affected, so i don't think it's at my end :)

3. Matt@ElReg

Hi What What?

We're not sure what's going on here; but suspect it might be a bad ad. Could you let us know browser details and where you are in the world to webmaaster@theregster.co.uk and we'll dig deeper.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. What What?

Hi Matt,

Sorry for delay :). I'm based in Dublin, RoI.

Using Windows 8.1, IE 11.0.9600.17801, and Firefox 38.0.5

18. wheelbearing

Not really a bug...

A few days ago I noticed that Flagfox, a Firefox add-on that purports to show the physical location of servers (or at least IP addresses), was showing that El Reg had moved to Costa Rica - was this just a glitch or have I been suffering from a touch of silver hat syndrome?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not really a bug...

No we haven't moved to Costa Rica - our servers are based in Portsmouth. However, the CDN we use - Cloudflare - has data centres everywhere, including Costa Rica, I believe.

19. ChrisBedford

The subject line of El Reg's daily email

Every now and again, the header of my daily list of links will be chopped short at some random position and have a lower case "b" appended.

Does anyone else see this? Is it Outlook 2007 that's (mis)interpreting something unexpected in the mail? Have I duplicate-posted a bug that's been reported before? (I searched; did not find).

1. ChrisBedford

Re: The subject line of El Reg's daily email (er maybe this wasn't the right forum for this?)

Looks like the 'b' may drop in to replace an em-dash and the rest of the line it belongs to. Interesting, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing.

20. Vimes

It's annoying your site is showing adverts for the Galaxy Note 5, especially when I wouldn't mind being able to get one but they're not being sold in the UK.

21. Vimes

There seems to be a bug with the positioning of some of the ads when they're placed above the banner. The ads seem to move downwards as the user scrolls down until it covers the register logo at which point it remains static (so if the user scrolls any further than that the ad doesn't move any further).

The problem is that the positioning seems to be aligned to the top of both images and doesn't take into account the height of the advert being moved (or at any rate I assume this is what's happening).

Some of the ads are much taller than most and there have been a few occasions now where the advert - always one for Microsoft for some reason - not only covers the top banner but also the forums links for 'My posts', 'User topics' and the others located in the right hand column.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.