back to article Calling all readers: Want some new icons?

We at the El Reg Central Overseeing Commenter Soviet are considering whether to expand the available spread of comments icons to include some news images - the better for you, our beloved readers, to express yourselves with wit and elegance. Our existing comments icons If you reckon we need some fresh images to add to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Richard IV

Holy wars

A generic holy wars icon to replace the Penguin, Gates & Jobs set. {Possibly something like the crozier St Dogbert used to drive out the demons of stupidity}.

It'll give Opera users something to use ;)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you want slashdot, you know where to find it.

They heavily bias posts, also meaning anonymous posts basically remain unseen. Also, their use of ever-increasing amounts of javascript and other tomfoolery mean I rarely even bother to read any comments any longer.

I'm sure that's a wonderful idea sir. Let's see, this here's sir's coat, I believe. Good evening sir.

1. MrMcginty

I get Slashdotted...

...using 'Anonymous Coward' entries most weeks, they really don't care who submits or how, since they log IP addresses and use those to enforce temporary bans where needed.

Though I admit, I too am sick of the endless dicking about with the comments.

New icon: Robbie The Robot ("***k off, I'm having a geek moment"), to limit the use of the 'Reg gravestone' whenever an article on geek movies/TV etc goes up.

3. Jeremy Chappell

Icons

Inverted Facebook "F" - for a fail on or about Facebook.

Ditto Twitter. (Fail Whale?)

A Stormtrooper (Nazi or Starwars, doesn't matter).

Replace Bill with "that sweaty, over excited bloke"?

Where the heck is RMS?

A "broken brain".

Buzz Lightyear (self dilution - "You are a Toy!").

Yoda ("impenetrable marketing speak this is, hmm, hmm?").

Plug lying next to socket (user error).

BSoD.

Joypad.

Slide rule (for "it was better in my day", or "isn't this browser just like a terminal?" - an "old fart's icon")

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

not sure about the rest ...

but a "Slide rule" icon would probably do quite well.

Possibly do want to limit the good/evil icons, an Evil penguin might in the long run be a better icon ... or similarly good/evil Google, good/evil browser,etc ...

I thought about suggesting an Evil/Good FSF (free software foundation) ... but it might look to much like the FFS! proposal :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

I like the idea...

of an evil penguin icon.

Could go for a BSD icon as well. Though if you pick Beastie, it might be a little hard to tell if he's a good Beastie, or an evil Beastie.

While not strictly under the purview of icons, changing the title and body requirement to just one or the other and not loading a new page when clicking on the thumbs up/down buttons would be nice too.

4. Subliteratus

Muppets!

A nice picture of Fozzie Bear for when a person of organisation's slackness and incompetence can no longer be stoically borne.

1. FozzyBear
      Thumb Up

HEY!

Watch what you're sa....

Hmmm my very own icon - I second that !

2. Stuart Moore
      Happy

Definitely a mupped icon...

Although personally I'd go for Beaker

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

How about....

... a picture of a Eurofighter crashing & burning, specially for Lewis' articles?

6. Greg J Preece

Opera blah blah

How about Opera ones. Instead of angel/devil, you could have one covered in speed bubbles, and one gagged...

7. The Alpha Klutz

icons

A Back To The Future 1.21 gigawatts icon, caption: "needs moar jiggawatts".

A Homer Simpson Homemade Prozac icon, caption: "needs more icecream".

A "Can it run Crysis?" icon.

A "Can it run Solitaire?" icon.

A Vaseline icon.

8. DJV Silver badge

V for Vendetta icon

Please please pretty please. Ah go on you know you want to...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

you mean you want...

More Guy Fawks!

1. Mike Flugennock

more Guy Fawkes

A bunch of us here have already mentioned the coolness of a Guy Fawkes Mask Icon, but another iconic image from "V For Vendetta" -- one which would better articulate rage -- would be that shot of the top of Big Ben being blasted away. What an awesome shot that was.

9. Denarius
    Thumb Up

suggestions, my beloved

Oompa Loopas for chocolate factory. With or without red slashed circle.

Suggest Eye of Sauron only for snooping governments.

swinging door (outwards) for "its Friday and not on call " ? Not to be confused with I'll get my coat...

I'll second the sky gazing cliff step off

Replace the Gates of hell with the yacking yatchsman Larry E

PHB type icon for dumb and dumber management (anything to do with large corporates and Governments ?)

Toy train for bleeding obvious aka Clue Train.

Third coffee icon suggestion. By morning tea I have usually downed 6 cups and need a pick me up as the effect is wearing off.

Please leave Paris alone. We need some traditions.

Back to the ubuntu abomination now...

10. Ninja Wabbit
    Welcome

Horde and Alliance

Horde and Alliance icons.

For the HORDE!

Also:

- Facepalm

- Newbie Alert

- Recklessly Clueless and Cluelessly Reckless icons

- WIN (or FTW) to counter FAIL

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Thumb Down

No Alliance icons, please....

Sorry, I've just got to stop you there.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

Forget icons, why not roll out the color coding system devised a decade ago into the comments pages

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/02/01/the_color_of_irony/

12. iMess

Need a Sarah Palin one

Cos you know..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

how about..

Tina Fey

13. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Beer glass good...

...now add red wine glass, white wine glass, various hard liquor glassware, etc.

1. The Beer Monster
      Pint

Beer.

There is only beer. Anything else would be wrong.

2. Rodrigo Valenzuela
      Thumb Up

Hard liquour

For the kind of stories that let you wishing for a stiff drink, either to erase the memory by killing those brain cells or because is friday and you realize that the weekend is ad portas and it looks more boring that staying in the office.

R

14. Number6

BS

A steaming turd icon, for declaring bullshit.

How about a proper two-fingered salute too?

A mushroom cloud to replace the rather tame and weak grenade - if you're going to have an explosive rant you want the biggest effect.

A banana skin for those who've slipped up.

15. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

No more people

No more people - just more generic ones. e.g. an Angle and a Devil.

1. The Beer Monster

Acute, right, obtuse?

:nonchalant whistle:

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please add the icon 42...

For things that just ARE! Like PI. The sky being blue, on this planet anyway.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The horned phone!

- The Horned Phone(tm), for those ranting IT moments regarding our users. Please release it for our perusal. Plus the final art is already complete.

- A capital red G with a devil's tail. You can figure it out. Make it blue if red is not suitable.

- The radioactivity Icon with the subtitle pop-up "Prolonged exposure to this comment may cause life span reduction" or sorts.

- I liked the playmobil idea.

18. Eric Crippen

New Icons

The Picard facepalm would work, but I'd rather have a Kirk facepalm if one exists.

As far as actual face icons. They could be used for a year or two and then a fresh batch voted in. I'm for Paris being a permanent icon though. Maybe an Einstein or Betty White to balance it out.

A dead horse icon.

Cartoon baby face crying (squirtin' tears).

A ninja (in star wars p.j.'s if the res was good enough).

A picture of dog poo or Mr. Hanky.

Pink elephant.

A knight with no arms or legs.

Sheep icon.

Sheldon Cooper/Penny icons.

Skunk.

1. Red Bren
      Coat

Dead Horse?

Like this one?

19. clean_state

skeleton in the closet

I want a "skeleton in the closet" icon. Or just a skeleton will do.

20. Mark Malley
    Stop

Thanks for thinking of the little people

I'm quite happy with the selection, but the realm of good and evil does seem to ever be expanding.

21. AceRimmer

Kerching

A big gold plated dollar/pound sign for those Kerching moments

22. Anonymous Freetard
    Heart

Chicken Little

For all those "the sky is falling" pieces that El Reg enjoys so much. You know, all the Fukishima scare stories that Lester has been peddling ;)

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Chicken Little

On a practical note, I'd like an obnoxious EDITOR NEEDED icon for typos and such. Easier to spot which to act on and reject (with thanks if you're nice, and nowt if you're not).

1. taxman
        Welcome

Re: Chicken Little

You mean like when the nice kind readers have made a bit of a boobie?

Hey, there's a thought............

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Practical note

Yesh, that might be useful. Buuut... I don't really want any of that in my inbox, as my comments don't go there already. And I do feel fairly strongly about your workflows --your rules, fine, I'll stick to your script-- not also interfering on mine --my rules, my script, and you can stay well out of it, thanks.

So a "ta" rejection-notice would be useful. I mean, if you're going to abuse the rejection button for that, might as well add the function required to mark that rejection with just what function it was rejected for.

If not, then we'd better stick to the standing practice to send notes to the author using the link-and-webform and no icon is required, or useful.

23. Select * From Handle

Rebecca Black icon?

With the letters FAIL over her head?

i would like to see that hahah

1. Mike Flugennock

Rebecca Black icon

Good idea, but you don't need the FAIL plastered over her. Usually, when one glimpses Rebecca Black, one instantly thinks FAIL.

24. Youngdog

How about this one

http://worldpoliticsblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/dr_strangelove.jpg

For anything DARPA/NWO related

1. Anomalous Cowlard

Yes,

please.

25. Pinkerton

My suggestions...

I can't be arsed to read through all these comments so there's a good chance this has already been said and I'm contributing nothing but noise to the discussion:

- A 'La la la not listening' icon

- An 'I haven't read the article properly before posting my comments so it's probable I'm commenting on something you didn't actually say but only what I thought you said' icon

- An 'I can't be arsed to read through all these comments so there's a good chance this has already been said and I'm contributing nothing but noise to the discussion' icon

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

The default

> I haven't read the article properly before posting my comments

You'd have to make that the default, as everybody does that.

p.s. you might have suggested that in the rest of your post, but I didn't read any more ....

26. stucs201

Something for laser discussions

Deathstar? Shark?

27. NoneSuch Silver badge

My incoherent list

Get rid of Bill Gates angel / devil. He retired years ago.

The aforementioned Assange angel / devil sounds like a winner to me.

No to Facebook, No to Twitter, No to any flash in the pan website fad.

Change the terminator icon from "Your foster parents are dead" to "AI is coming and may already be here"

Dr Stephen Hawking in place of the round blue gent with the specs.

A generic angel and a devil.

The Piratebay logo to mark Freetards.

You have Paris, add Lohan... and Biel, and Mother Theresa.

Eye of Sauron AND a Ring.

No to Zuck. A Reg icon is a thing of honor and he simply does not deserve it.

You have an exclamation point, but no question mark???

A "No Suitable Icon Present" icon.

Last a "Pie-in-the-sky" for all these half-baked ideas that keep floating to the surface.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

copyright issues with use other peoples logos..

but perhaps instead of hosting the image file if you just used a url that linked to it on the original site you wouldn't have any copyrighted material on this site...

now where have I seen that defence before.. oh yeah pirate bay.

28. Atonnis
    Happy

So much...

Get rid of:

Paris (that was amusing for all of a week)

The 'I'll get my coat'/'Mine's the one with the...' - everyone who uses it thinks they're funny, and they really arent.

The blue 'may contain scientific stuff' - does anyone ever use it?

Web2.0 made of badger's paws - sorry, it's just stupid.

The pictures of people with halos and horns - focus on companies more than individuals.

The gravestone - really? why is it there?

Add in:

Company love/hate logos.

Bacon - because it's bacon and bacon is only for things that are awesome...like bacon...mmm...bacon.

Something that says 'I originally wrote a 4 paragraph post to explain this, but then deleted it all and just wrote this one line because that's all you'd understand anyway.'

Facepalm

A Toilet - because that's where this tripe should be flushed.

A TARDIS - there are plenty of comments that either go on about historical stuff, or future stuff.

1. peter 5 Silver badge
      Coat

*facepalm*

attonis wrote:

«The 'I'll get my coat'/'Mine's the one with the...' - everyone who uses it thinks they're funny, and they really arent.»

Actually, that means it's *working*: just IGNORE thee comments with a COAT. Now I'll get mine - because, well, how could I not?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.