back to article SQLite creator crucified after code of conduct warns devs to love God, and not kill, commit adultery, steal, curse...

Open-source database SQLite has told its developers it expects them to follow Christ, love chastity, clothe the naked, and not murder, steal, nor sleep with their colleagues' spouses. That's the upshot of a somewhat untypical code of conduct that the widely used project has published online. While most code of conducts take an …

Page:

1. toxicdragon

Re: James Hollingshead

"I cannot do that it is against my religion" Is perfectly fine however, what is happening here is "YOU cannot do that it is against my religion" and that is so far from fine God himself would need a telescope to see it. There is nothing wrong with religion in principle, just the incredibly shitty stuff done in its name. And yes I am aware of all the other shitty stuff done in other things names. Doesnt make then any less deplorable too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: James Hollingshead

As above, if I own the place I make the rules. From the article the whole team was on board (or at least not against it).

But.. Your post still doesn't answer why Mr Hollingshead believes his very existence is hated by the SQlite people.

FTR, I have the view that if it isn't actually hurting someone it's OK and probably none of my business. however when I conduct my business on my premisis then I'll do it my way.

1. Updraft102

I just wanna say that people should eat more fruits and vegetables.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless you work in a brothel, you can get in all sorts of trouble for eating 'fruits' at work.

And touch not the vegetables - serious legal hassles no matter how much they say they want to be eaten!

1. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

Unless you work in a brothel, you can get in all sorts of trouble for eating 'fruits' at work.

Well they do contain seeds...

2. Teiwaz

Welcome to 21st Century.

I just wanna say that people should eat more fruits and vegetables.

I think the best we can hope for is just less plastic.

1. onefang

Re: Welcome to 21st Century.

"I think the best we can hope for is just less plastic."

A recent study found that most brands of salt sold in supermarkets have a lot of micro plastics in them. I suspect we'll all be eating more plastic, not less. I'm screwed, I've had two doctors recommend I eat more salt.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Welcome to 21st Century.

I could sea that salt from the sea could have microplastics due to lots in seawater.

However ancient salt, such as that mined in Cheshire predates plastic pollution so, unless something odd in the purifying & packaging process, would not expect plastic in "ancient" salt.

2. Public Citizen

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you"

Has always looked well for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Um

-

Can get you in trouble if you're into S&M mind you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Um

"

-

Can get you in trouble if you're into S&M mind you."

Only if you just enjoy the S part (so I'm led to believe)

(Mine's the one with the spanking paddle in the pocket)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Um

I like sausage and mash, don’t we all?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Gets you into trouble very easily. If I posted here a bit of typical banter from within my family it would look so offensive as to be moderated away.

Nietzsche had it right. Life would be hell if we treated others as we treat ourselves. Just think of some trivial mistake you beat yourself up about at length, but would shrug off without a second thought if someone else perpetrated it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are there any Muslim, Jew, Shinto, Confucian or pagan developer of SQLlite?

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Why does that matter? All the developers agreed that the CoC was good and should be adopted.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Was the "agreement" active affirmation or inferred from a lack of dissent?

If it was the latter, the option always exists that those keeping quiet were sufficiently fearful of the management that they decided staying silent was best for their position, even if they disagreed with the policy.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

No problem, just edit to include $DEITY and $PROPHET in the appropriate places and your good to go...

4. herman

"Do unto others before they can do unto you" works much better in practise.

5. EveryTime

It seemed very strange initially, but it made increasing sense as I read the story.

I do completely agree with not changing or simplifying the original text. One of the ten commandments was originally a prohibition against taking or owning slaves. It was translated differently because powerful people wanted to own slaves, and wanted their religion to support that. "Thou shall not steal" is a much different concept than "Thou shall not a steal a person as the spoils of war".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you sure? I'm sure I've read that the Bible was pro-slavery.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I suspect you will find the pro-slavery bit in the old testament, probably Leviticus.

You know, the same place the gay-haters tend to get their justifications from (and ignoring all of the remaining "don’t be an asshat" guidance).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OT as Mr Crawford points out.

And more of an indentured servitude for a limited time. At certain periods all slaves had to be set free, unless the slave actually chose to stay on. It was not the same as what the US had pre-civil war.

6. Forget It
    Meh

Just think of it as another stored procedure.

7. Christian Berger

Does it even define what it means by "God"?

I mean apparently one of the main issues people have is that they think "God" means the wrong thing to them, notably the Judaic god.

However instead you could just as well interpret it as whatever you derive your desire to act in a "good" way from. The rest of the rules essentially make sure your idea of "good" is compatible with having some sensible working relationships. Probably as an attempt to keep sociopaths out.

1. David Robinson 1

Re: Does it even define what it means by "God"?

God is real, unless declared as an integer.

God is real, unless declared as an integer

You will get in to trouble if you have 'implicit none' in there.

Or in to a Ken Russell film if you have 'explicit nun' instead.

2. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

>God is real, unless declared as an integer.

Whatever floats your boat...

Laughing so much I'm double'd up!

I know, it was a long shot...

2. onefang
          Joke

">God is real, unless declared as an integer."

"Whatever floats your boat..."

I'm sure it's all imaginary, even if some of it is quite complex. Just don't get irrational about it all.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"God is real, unless declared as an integer."

Unless the serpent gets involved, that is. God is not real unless initialised as such in Python.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This. For many people without religion it is hard to see what all the fuss is about, it looks like a set of good morals. The problems come when people think there should be only one religious club. To be honest, SQLite probably does better without those types of people, either SJW or noisy religious bandwagon occupants.

Few people are able to be silent members of a religious club, this extends from church to sports ball. "Our club is best, we will beat all other clubs" is a sad mentality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I find that angry atheists like the twatterer in the article are worse than the god botherers.

3. Nick Kew

Yeah, but calling God by the wrong name is the worst crime of all.

Hence Elijah's slaughter of all the followers of Baal. Somehow the bible translators failed to translate the word Baal, so it looks like a proper name. And thus the genocide becomes a work of The Lord, who is somehow not merely a translation of The Lord.

8. cjmcguinness

I rather like that!

Although I would probably have shortened it down to "Be excellent to each other."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their project, their rules.

SQLite is, and always has, been open-source, but not open-contribution. The main authors offer it free for all to use and have said explicitly that people can use the code without subscribing to any of their rules. The authors aren't forcing any beliefs on those outside the project, so it would be hypocritical for us to try to force ours on them.

Anyone complaining about "but it marginalizes potential contributors" needs to re-read the above. YOU CAN'T CONTRIBUTE and NEVER COULD.

I'm an atheist but I still can recognize clever satire and social commentary when I see it; extreme political correctness appears to preclude having a sense of humour.

A parting note: anyone who now feels they can't stomache using SQLite in their projects had better consider ceasing their use of all modern medicine and technology, because, remember, a lot of it was literally pioneered by Nazis and other racists, and is a product of horrible wars. Yes, seriously (skin grafting, organ transplants, satellites and rockets).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since Instruments of Good Works includes 'bury the dead', shouldn't the developers be concentrating on replacing Windows Registry?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Since Instruments of Good Works includes 'bury the dead', shouldn't the developers be concentrating on replacing Windows Registry?"

I thought the Windows Registry was the place where the bodies were buried.

11. Adam 1

There's always Oracle

if you would rather align yourself with the antichrist.

12. paulll

"But that would put me in the position of editing and redacting Benedict of Nursia, as if I were wiser than he."

" I tried to make clear that the introspective aspects could be safely glossed over."

Those two statements don't seem entirely mutually compatible.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Those two statements don't seem entirely mutually compatible.

"I won't change what was said" and "you're free to interpret what was said" are perfectly compatible.

1. paulll

Re: Those two statements don't seem entirely mutually compatible.

No, "I couldn't possibly presume to change what he said 'cos he's way wiser than me," and,"These parts of what he said aren't important," are not compatible.

13. steviebuk Silver badge

Alcohol

"Be not addicted to wine."

So all other alcohol fine then?

:)

1. eldakka

Re: Alcohol

Yep, which probably explains where Benedictine liqueur came from ;)

14. Spazturtle Silver badge

It's rather disgusting that people are attacking this CoC, they are essentially saying that anyone who things differently to them is wrong and should be exiled for heresy. They want projects to adopt a CoC but only their one. It's his clubhouse, all the members of his club agreed with the rules, so if you are not a member then you have no right to complain.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Christian values straight from the source

Here are some nice versus. Sure, some are from the old testament which the christians claim has been superseded. Seems the god that created everything, is so wise etc suddenly had a change of heart. Like following a psychopath who sings two different tunes.

Slavery seems ok: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Sex slavery is ok too: "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again." (Exodus 21: 7-8)

So much for equal treatment of woman: “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

Seems ok to go kill woman and children: "Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.” (1 Samuel 15:3)

More killing: “Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

And numerous other 'christian values' passages. Think I'll pass. Rather be a better human thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Christian values straight from the source

You are entirely entitled to your view on the matter, but I disagree. What Christian values means to me is summed up in just two passages:

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:12)

And:

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)

As these are the words of Jesus himself I, personally, believe that they take precedence over anything else in the Bible.

Then again I'm also odd for Christian in that I believe the Bible itself is fundamentally flawed for having been written by humans, so rejecting obviously wrong passages presents no theological problem for me. To my mind Christ himself taught complete compassion and mercy and the extraordinary value of all human beings, so the Bible writers who exhibit anything else - including all of the passages you mentioned - must be mistaken.

And yes, I am completely aware of how contradictory it is to belong to a religion while rejecting the infallibility of its holy text. That's what comes of not being willing (or, really, able) to completely give up the religion and associated beliefs that are the foundation of a great many aspects of my life while still having enough analytical thought to realize that there is quite a lot in the Bible that doesn't line up with the core teachings of Christ.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Christian values straight from the source

The most critical part is the part you have right - the relationship with Jesus. It is said "Seek first the Kingdom of God", which you are doing.

1 John 1:9 says if you confess your sins to God then He will forgive you. There's no conditions on that, no limits, therefore no worries.

When you love someone you seek to please them, even if you make mistakes in the process. Your post indicates you love Jesus and seek to do what He likes. He'll always respect that even when you get it wrong!

I personally don't believe the original texts were wrong, however there is stuff that is lost in translation and some of the translations have certainly been mis-handled by flawed humans.

16. thinking ape

Christian values from the source

Here are some nice versus. Sure, some are from the old testament which the christians claim has been superseded. Seems the god that created everything, is so wise etc suddenly had a change of heart. Like following a psychopath who sings two different tunes.

Slavery seems ok: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Sex slavery is ok too: "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again." (Exodus 21: 7-8)

So much for equal treatment of woman: “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

Seems ok to go kill woman and children: "Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.” (1 Samuel 15:3)

More killing: “Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

And numerous other 'christian values' passages. Think I'll pass. Rather be a better human thanks.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Christian values from the source

Nice versus what? Nasty? Don't leave us hanging!

17. BebopWeBop

To be fair, those rules did have a significant impact on the world back in AD 500, and continue to form the foundation for Benedictines' behavior to this day,

I wonder what Benedict had yo say about buggering school children - I suspect not a great deal.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon