back to article Phased out: IT architect plugs hole in clean-freak admin's wiring design

Welcome again to On-Call, El Reg's weekly column that offers readers the chance to vent about their co-workers' ineptitude. This week, meet "Oscar", who tells us about the time he had to clean up after an overly tidy sysadmin. At the time, he was working as a consultant and IT architect for a government customer that was …

Page:

1. Herby

Three phase power is fun!!

Some equipment I was with when it was installed in the late 60's needed 3 phase power (before low power stuff) for operation. It also included a nice rotary machine (disk drive) that used three phase power as well. While the techs were there wiring it up, they actually tested to make sure that the phases were in order. They were, and all was fine. Later I found out that the equipment also had a phase sequence detector ahead of the motor relay to MAKE SURE that the phases were in the correct order. Pretty good design if you ask me.

Oh, yes all the 3 phase circuit breakers had the phases linked so if one tripped, others would as well.

That was 120-208 'Y' three phase. Then there is 120-0-120, 240, 240 "delta" three phase that has the "high" leg 208 volts above the "neutral" which isn't actually neutral, but the center of the other phase. It makes for interesting wiring if you think it is the other type as you smoke one of the three phases.

Live and learn.

2. OzBob

I hate electricity

at the best of times, so never f**k with it. So when I switched on a new HP Disk Array in the Data Centre, my co-worker thought it would be fun to pop a large balloon behind me and see my reaction. (which was to call him a c-bomb after my heart rate dropped back down to normal)

1. Korev Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: I hate electricity

HP (RIP) arrays are bullet proof...

Maybe not those though —>

3. StuntMisanthrope

F*** me! I’ll need a screwdriver and an adaptor.

Sort out your bollocks electrical regulations or wire to UK standard. That’s why the shit keeps failing out of the wall. #itstheampsstupid

4. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    FAIL

Bit Late - Anywayssss

A colleague & friend of mine back in the UK was in-between being a IT guy & general Mr Fixit (Cider presses, old TV's pretty much anything).

In the time that I worked with him he also qualified as a MOT inspector, he got approached by the architect who drew up his plans for his loft conversion to cast his eye over his design for a new garage & MOT test bay(s).

He found himself swiftly corrected on his assumption of "It's just a garage!" on at least half a dozen points on what should be where & why, which bays could be used for solely for MOT testing & which ones couldn't.

Icon because MOT.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like