back to article The future of radio may well be digital, but it won't survive on DAB

Radio in the UK passed a significant milestone on 17 May. For the first time, more than half of Brits now access radio digitally. According to Radio Joint Audience Research (RAJAR), the figures have risen from 49.9 per cent in the last quarter of 2017 to 50.9 in the first three months of 2018. Passing the 50 per cent digital …

Page:

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Psion Wavefinder

Have an upvote for mentioning John Peel. Him and Bob Harris and to a lesser extent Nicky Horne on Capital (before they went crap) were my must listen programmes when I was a student.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used to listen to Team Rock on DAB - for me, the only station worth listening to on any ensemble purely for the lack of adverts, and no news or weather bollocks.

The costs of DAB transmission were so high they decided to go streaming-only back in 2016.... and this may be one of the reasons they no longer broadcast at all (either the reduced audience from dropping odd DAB, or the fact that not being able to afford a DAB licence was a sign of bigger money problems)

But out of that, Primordial Radio was born. Still streaming only, but set up by four ex-TR guys to explore better ways of getting rock and metal music to your ears. They'll never go on DAB, they swear far too much for that, but in all other respects it's a proper, professional "radio" station. Music. Presenters. Competitions. Phone-ins. Requests. NO ADVERTS. (It's really good and if you like rock and metal music, you should check it out).

The point is, these guys have been going a year and they're seemingly making a living out of it. Mobile data is not the massive expense it once was, and now most cars and homes have some sort of Bluetooth capability it's pretty simple to hit a button and hear music. I'm pretty sure a better option is to leave FM in place, turn DAB off, and if anyone wants more than FM provides then there's the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I used to listen to Team Rock on DAB - for me, the only station worth listening to on any ensemble purely for the lack of adverts, and no news or weather bollocks.

Team Rock was awesome man. We listened to it in our small office behind closed doors because some of the songs scared the s**t of other people. Our boss would sometimes stick his head in and ask "How can you work with this on? Is it not making you angry?!".

After they shut down we streamed it for a bit to external speakers and after they completely went offline we switched to Planet Rock which was (and still is) just "meh".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

www.primordialradio.com - there's a free trial (as it's a paid service) but it's everything Team Rock was, and more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thumbs up for Primordial.

And double thumbs up for not pushing your everyone gets one code :-)

No adverts, presenters that pay attention to their audience and most of all available pretty much anywhere you can get a signal on your phone.

2. Flicker

The economics??

One topic that's missing from this discussion is the economics - how much does it cost the BBC and other operators to lease capacity on DAB vs. their other distribution channels? My guess is that although renting capacity on all of their options (DAB / FM / AM / DVB-T(2) / DVB-S(2) / Internet) in parallel must be eye-wateringly expensive with a combination of OFCOM Spectrum Licence fees and carrier costs, they are probably equally wary of being backed into a monopoly supplier corner - certainly given that Arqiva are now in complete control of most of the terrestrial broadcast options.

Anyone any idea how much it actually costs the BBC to broadcast on DAB vs. DVB-T vs. FM vs. their Internet bandwidth?

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Re: The economics??

Actual figures, no, but there are some pretty strong hints in the BBC strategy documents about value for money:

"The BBC’s duty to ensure value-for-money in its distribution activity sometimes reveals trade-offs. For example, further expansion of the DAB network or delivering every regional variant of BBC One in HD via broadcast should only be implemented if and when the costs are proportionate to the audience value they would deliver. In the context of an audience-led transition to internet-delivered services, the BBC will deprioritise investment in technologies that it is confident will be superseded."

There was a report produced a few years back that did compare the figures, but the version available for download has them all redacted. Looks like I may need to get someone drunk...

Incidentally, in the redacted report, there's also a note about Long Wave:

"Long-term ambition to transition from long wave to DAB. There will be no new investment in LW radio, and current kit will be allowed to fail."

1. Flicker

@Nigel W - Yes, I saw the announcement foretelling the death of the remaining R4 LW service - a real shame as it's just about the only thing you can receive pretty much anywhere. I don't really buy the arguement about the cost of keeping the transmitters going - I bet there's people with some high-power output valves squirreled away who would be only too happy to donate or sell at a reasonable cost to keep the service afloat.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I bet there's people with some high-power output valves squirreled away

I doubt it, there's not much call for paired 500kW transmitter valves outside of professional & perhaps military broadcasting. Still, I'd be surprised if it weren't possible to have some made if necessary, they aren't particularly complex items. 500kW medium- and short-wave transmitters are catalogue items from the large RF manufacturers and could no doubt be adapted for long wave if a total replacement were required.

2. Mage Silver badge

Also a sub £10 USB stick can pick up DTT, which has better coverage than DAB.

DTT could use better quality, here in Ireland, the RTE DTT radio audio (98%+ coverage) is same poor bit rate as the 45% coverage DAB.

1. Alien8n

From what I understand Team Rock were paying close to £1M a year for the DAB license. One reason why they were in so much trouble (that and the fact they borrowed the money to acquire everything, much like how Man Utd went from being one of the richest to one of the most in debt clubs overnight when they were bought by the yanks).

3. Zebo-the-Fat

If a radio station (digital or analogue) has adverts interupting the program I just turn it off

4. peterm3
    Go

broadcast is here to stay

Broadcast media, i.e. not needing a paid-for service from a telco is here to stay. DAB+ as used exclusively in Norway and soon Switzerland is superior to DAB and FM. If a better technology exists, why stick with the obsolete one? In Germany they made a switch to DAB+ only and it was a wise decision as the codec is much more efficient. An argument here was the power consumption of all the FM transmitters, digital radio is green radio. Simulcasting everything is surely not a good idea.

Germany also changed over to DVB-T2 with H.265/HEVC which meant viewers had to buy a new decoder after a short 3 year changeover from DVB-T. Simulcasting SD also ended, which is a far more efficient use of bandwidth. Perhaps consumers there are more willing to accept paying for better technology than always keeping the legacy option.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: DAB+

DAB+ isn't used to give better coverage or quality in many cases, but to double the number of stations at same quality.

DAB+ simply saves some money.

Ergonomically ANY sort of Digital radio is poorer than FM & AM. It's not driven by consumer needs or quality or technology, DAB & DAB+ are political decisions that benefit national broadcasters and multiple channel State broadcasters the most.

Digital radio isn't green either if there is genuinely the same quality and coverage and also the receiver power is considered.

1. dmartin

Re: DAB+

Indeed DAB is not green. Look at the power consumption of DAB (portable) radios compared to FM.

And second, not green is by forcing me to ditch at least 8 FM portable radios around the house etc which get used for various purposes regularly.

But even FM is outclassed by a long aerial and a crystal and totally free radio reception, long live AM !!

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: broadcast is here to stay

"An argument here was the power consumption of all the FM transmitters, digital radio is green radio."

Does that include the power consumption of the many receivers (DAC vs demod) as well as the few transmitters?

5. Mage Silver badge

49.9 per cent in the last quarter of 2017 to 50.9

But that is NOT 50.9% listening to Dab.

They conflate streaming/Internet which needs fragile instrastructure, has privacy issues and isn't broadcast.

They count DAB sets (home and car radio) even if entirely or mostly used on FM.

Where are the phones with DAB? Or DAB sets with AM for outside of local reception (esp at night?). Or the DAB sets with +200 hrs battery life (even 1939 battery radios had 24 to 240 hours run time depending on size). How many DAB portables even manage two days?

Also bit rate is too low, to save money.

RTE Irish DAB an even bigger waste than UK.

DAB & Digital Broadcast benefits National stations.

There wasn't ever to be a true Analogue Switch Over, just closure of larger FM stations and keeping smaller ones, because there is no-one for Ofcom to sell the spectrum to and DAB is too much coverage (even though it's worse for big stations) and too costly for small stations.

Norway has made a bad mistake.

6. MMR

Meh

I started to listen to DAB about 10 years ago and I really enjoyed it but the service failed to expand in a reasonable manner. What made it worse was when BBC Radio 6 sacked Bruce Dickinson. Bruce effin Dickinson! You don't sack the lead singer of Iron Maiden. No, no.

Ditched DAB and moved permanently to internet in 2014. I can listen to anything I want and pretty much anywhere I want.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Meh

Last digital radio programme I listened to (via Freesat) was his final show

7. Keith Oborn

DAB is the only thing that works reliably here

FM is almost useless, 3/4G mobile drops out if you move your heard - never mind the car.

DAB has the odd blank spot on the road, that's all, but never garbles.

DTV is messy: lost BBC4 HD in March, and it looks like the only way is an even bigger aerial.

Of course, this may be because I live in a very out of the way place called Basingstoke (someone has to)

I can *see* the local transmitter (Hannington) that FM, DAB and TV comes from.

BTW, El Reg: "FM already uses MPEG audio" (I paraphrase for brevity). WTF??

DAB is not perfect, and it's always a problem when you are an early adopter as the BBC was, but for the vast majority of current use it does seem to beat the others.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Re: DAB is the only thing that works reliably here

"BTW, El Reg: "FM already uses MPEG audio" (I paraphrase for brevity). WTF??"

Mmm, it took me several parses of that paragraph before I think I figured out that what the author was trying to say is that choosing to use an established technology (DAB's adoption of MPEG audio) isn't necessarily a bad thing, with FM radio then being mentioned as an example of something (specifically something relevant to the context of the article) still in use today which also uses a long-established technology.

So for "There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that – FM has used the same technology for decades, after all.", try re-reading it as "There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that – the technology used for FM radio has remained unchanged for decades, after all."

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Indeed, yes, that was the point I was making. Stable tech - especially for something as important as radio - has many advantages over the long run. You can take a 50+ year old valve set and it'll still work with FM signals today, even though there are clever things like stereo and RDS bolted on.

Once things start to get digital, however, there's a tendency for that sort of longevity to fall by the wayside.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

You can take a 50+ year old valve set and it'll still work with FM signals today,

One of the memorable experiences I had working at a radio station was the News Editor (Andrew Jones) bringing an old valve radio in for repair. There was nothing much to repair, to be honest, other than a couple of capacitors (IIRC) and some re-wiring where the insulation had crumbled off. Best AM sound I have ever heard, and FM was pretty good too, though it did stop at 100MHz. In the News Editor's eye this was a bonus, as our local FM transmitter was on 103.2MHz :-)

Oh, and it had a "live" chassis. Ouch.

M.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Oh, and it had a "live" chassis. Ouch."

Turn the mains plug round so neutral is connected to the chassis.

Turn the mains plug round

Neutral to the chassis is still very much "live". In proper electrical parlance, both conductors are "live conductors". It just so happens that in most of the world, Neutral is tied to Earth (the real, physical Earth) at some point. That point may be at the service cutout (so N is never more than a very few Volts away from E), or back at the substation, delivered to the house usually as the metal sheath of the cable, in which case it might float a bit higher. In some installations there is still an earth rod involved at the house end, so the return path is through the bulk of Mother Earth and there can be tens of Volts between the Neutral (earthed at the substation) and the actual Earth you are standing on.

Thank goodness (these days) for RCDs.

M.

8. DrXym

Simple answer

Sunset DAB. Give it a definite end-of-life, e.g. 5 years and shift onto something better. Frankly this should have been done a long time ago. Same now goes for MPEG2 on DVB-S/DVB-T.

9. zaax

Why not just use 4g systems and then that whole fequency could go

10. Hairy Spod

or we could just use fm

seriously..

If it aint broke dont fix it.

There's enough space to fit 6 music on fm as for the rest of the 'choice' a grand total of about 300 people will miss them and loosing it will save everyone a fortune.

Mobile listening on DAB is crap batteries only last a few hours at best whereas an old tranny can last weeks on a few D cells.

11. Airborne Cigar

Where does DRM / DRM+ fit in to this brave new world?

1. Nigel Whitfield.

I originally intended to do a section on that too, but I only had so many words to use up. I'll ask the nice man if he wants a separate piece on it (Digital Radio Mondiale, for those who are worrying about copy protection on their wireless).

12. Dwarf

Complete failure

Got two Pure radios about 10 years ago and got the kids a hi-fi's each for their rooms, could never get decent reception on DAB on any of them, even with external aerials so they generally stay turned off or tuned to FM where they work fine - in the odd case when they actually get switched on.

The whole thing is a complete failure, once again driven by commercial gain rather than what the consumer actually wants. Net result - several lost customers and two of the next generation that don't listen to the radio and instead use Spotify. OK, so we no longer get local news, but hey, thats life.

Agree with others that this should just be turned off - to make space for a better technology. IIRC, that was the whole reason why it had to happen in the first place.

13. Alien8n

Reception

My biggest gripe with DAB is reception. I live in Oxfordshire and my journey to work is a Russian roulette as to whether I can listen or not. Usually I get about 5 miles out and then it gets patchy, some days I can't even get out of my street before reception goes. Not an issue with the BBC stations, only the commercial ones. I get a better reception switching to the radio app on my phone.

1. peterm3
      Angel

Re: Reception

Are you going through the Chilterns by chance?

As Johnson / Cameron once said "'My faith is a bit like Magic FM in the Chilterns, in that the signal comes and goes."

1. Alien8n

Re: Reception

Nope, but I have noticed much worse reception in Abingdon and surrounding villages.

14. Deej

I'd be really intrigued to know some demographics of the people who are commenting on this article; they all appear to be audiophiles with old radios that you could take to the South Pole for 37 years without needing replacement.

To add a very small bit of balance, I have DAB in my car and one bedroom receiver, and in these environments where I'm either concentrating on the road or trying not to wake up, they're fine; I've not felt the need to switch to FM on either of them for as long as I can remember.

In between refusing to get up and driving places, I listen to music on my Sonos speakers, where I stream radio (mainly from California: KOST 103.5 is pretty good for feel-good chart music), play digital audio files or Amazon 'Stations' depending on what mood I'm in.

So, all my music listening is "digital" in this sense, but not all of it is broadcast radio.

15. Rakkor

A couple of years ago, while on holiday in Portugal, we were walking through the village where we were staying, when we heard a burst of cheering erupt into the night, a couple of seconds later there was another, followed by yet another a few seconds later. Portugal had just scored the winner in the Euro Finals and I reckon it propagated from Terrestrial UHF to Terrestrial Digital to Satellite TV with the least lot being a good 10 or 15 seconds behind the first to know

16. Spanners Silver badge
    FAIL

iPlayer Radio

Several people here have commented on the iPlayer radio. Because it asks for me to sign in before it will allow me to use it, I don't.

iPlayer on the TV is getting ever more enthusiastic about signing in too. If it makes it mandatory, I will stop using it as well. I am in the UK. It is quite detectable by my IP address that I am in the UK. I cannot think of any other legitimate reason they need to check.

1. Gerry 3
      Big Brother

Re: iPlayer Radio

> I cannot think of any other legitimate reason they need to check.

I can.

They're trying to catch people without TV licences who watch BBC programmes via the iPlayer. Of course, it would be far easier to use the TV Licence number as a paywall password, but the BBC are petrified that would see the licence fee being replaced by subscription !

1. ibmalone

I don't think this is the major reason. About all they can actually do is check that you haven't registered with an email address that you have used to tell them you don't need a license. The license payments (capita I think) and the iplayer accounts aren't linked up. As licenses apply to premises rather than people it's a bit tricky to do anyway (and has weird corner cases, and radio doesn't require a license, and and and...)

What it's actually about is worse. The BBC have long been pushing myBBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/77bdafd0-20b3-414d-aa53-48786b194543 they want to know exactly what you're watching and reading on the BBC to build up customer profiles, it's an enormous personal data grab. It didn't take off on its own, but making accounts mandatory for access to (the highly successful) iplayer may have done the trick. There's no oversight of this strategy outside the BBC.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I only access iPlayer on Chrome browser. Everything else uses Waterfox - including the BBC news site. The iPlayer sign-in will only relate to my infrequent viewing ofTV programmes. No way are they going to correlate it with the BBC News articles I read.

17. Gerry 3
    Stop

One big scandal seldom reported is that many big supermarkets (e.g. Tesco) and stores (e.g. Curry's) are still selling obsolete DAB radios that can't receive DAB+.

It's just a scam to make the Great Unwary buy twice.

18. Stevie

Bah!

The reasons for the low uptake may indeed hinge on naff quality, but the acronyms are not helping.

"DAB". "DAB+". Might as well call it "LAAAAAAME".

And "RAJAR"? By the rules of naming stuff from initials it should be "RJAR" or "RaJAR" (You only get to make the "make it work" letters big if it is an awesome world-changer like RADAR.)

This whole fiasco conjures up visions of pipe-smoking, balding, middle aged men in brown tweed jackets c/w leather elbow patches sitting round a table wasting hours of time in "brainstorming" sessions.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buying a DAB radio does not mean it still works

I have bought two DAB radios in the past. Both seriously overpriced for a radio. Both only worked if positioned very carefully. Both had poor sound quality. Both died and put in the WEEE bin.

Any digital radio I listen to comes via Freeview.

20. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Whatever you do ...

... just don't get stuck with a license-encumbered system like HD radio (in the USA). Costs (to the broadcasters) are high and some have dropped their extended programming and gone back to analog FM.

With DAB, there are SDR receivers (some open source) available. And it wouldn't surprise me to see high end kit designed with upgradable firmware. So when you make a protocol upgrade, you just flash the receiver with a new app.

21. JohnFen

First they killed broadcast television

How true this is apparently depends on where you live, but where I live, the digital switchover of television pretty much killed broadcast TV by making it impossible for large swaths of the population to receive more than a channel or two of it at best.

I guess now that broadcast TV has been neutered, it's radio's turn.

22. batfastad

I like DAB

No wait, I got that wrong, I meant I like the sound quality of a potato. Underwater.

23. Grant Fromage

In The first days of this nonsense I was still working for Auntie beeb and on loan unoffcially as a pair of golden ears was not welcome at detecting Dab every time by "ambience modulation" on classical music. String quartet= FAIL

They had Nicam which worked beautifully and I could not A/B tell because the engineering was solid, based around real research into how how we hear things and it worked.

Why was that not used in DAB Doh!

If you do not take your music viscerally then you may not get this. some bits of music have a complex interaction that gives people who are sensitive to it physical responses, the most common is a sensation of ice down the spine or just a a sudden unfocussed uplift.

We are all different, there is a chunk in the Who`s wont get fooled again and Rory Gallagher playing bought and sold live that does this for me and it is a useful metric, I used this to asses MP3 encoders and decoders. The fraunhoffer codecs preserved the tickle at half the others rates. .

I should probably get my coat.

They had Nicam which worked beautifully and I could not A/B tell because the engineering was solid, based around real research into how how we hear things and it worked.

Why was that not used in DAB Doh!

Very simply, because standard TV broadcast NICAM used 768kbps of data. I believe a DAB ensemble/multiplex is 1.2Mbps? You'd not even get two radio stations onto one multiplex, and then you'd still have people complaining that it was 32kHz sampling and only 10 bits of real data from a 14 bit sample. With MPEG (even layer II MPEG) you get theoretically better numbers, but it only sounds better if you use enough bitrate. For most people on most normal receivers I'm sorry to say that 128kbps is just about enough, but even at 256kbps - where I've never heard anyone reliably claim to be able to tell the difference between MPEG II and direct audio - you could still get a lot more radio stations into DAB than you could with NICAM.

M.

24. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

And another thing

With FM radio you get the advance warning of increasing background noise before the signal actually fails, so if you're moving and really want to hear something (breaking news?) you'll usually just lose the odd word or two, and there's no catch-up/re-initialise issue. DAB just throws the toys out of the pram.

25. David 45

A con trick

DAB was the most appalling bit of skull-duggery foisted onto the unsuspecting British public in many a year. CD quality? Just who are they kidding? I was an early adopter with a Technics tuner and it all sounded fine initially, but quality has slowly gone down the pan, mainly due, I presume, to the ever-decreasing bit-rates, not to mention the ever-present audio butchering caused by compression and/or processing. Sounds like the dreaded Optimod is still in there somewhere. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the mists of time that the original DAB spec. might have included user-adjustable compression. Anyone else got that in the memory banks? If so, it never happened - obviously. ANYTHING might be better than the absolutely appalling sound quality from FM these days. I hardly ever listen to radio, as I find it pretty painful on the ears. Even internet and satellite radio seem to use excessive amounts of compression. All the stations are desperately trying to sound more punchier than the others, with the result that they ALL sound as grotty as hell. Flat as the proverbial pancake. No dynamics - flat-lining. Why the Radio Authority (as was) ever allowed this to happen is beyond me. I have reel-to-reel recordings off FM from many years ago (bearing in mind the upper audio limit is about 15 khz. and they sound brilliant. Today's transmissions are a travesty.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like