back to article Time to ditch the front door key? Nest's new wireless smart lock is surprisingly convenient

It's something we all do when we get home: rummage around in your pockets or bag, find your keys, identify the one you want and then stick it in your front door to gain access. If you are one of the roughly 28 per cent of households that have a security system, you then need to go punch in a code to turn the alarm off. It's …

Page:

1. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

28% of what?

"If you are one of the roughly 28 per cent of households that have a security system.."

28% of households have a security system? I assume thats a US figure? But even that seems ridiculously high. Silicon Valley/San Fran, maybe. Where does that figure come from?

I have to admit, I have never lived in any place, and dont know any friends who have a security system installed. Thats in Aus, the UK, Sweden and Germany. So 28% of households (businesses are a different story) seems to be a very cherry picked figure.

Lets do a quick El Reg survey - if you have a securty system downvote this post, if you dont upvote. We'll see if we get anywhere near 28% of downvotes...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 28% of what?

"I have to admit, I have never lived in any place, and dont know any friends who have a security system installed."

Several neighbours have very visible "alarm" boxes high on the wall - complete with blinking LEDs. I suspect that is all they are - dummies (the boxes - not the neighbours).

My security system is accidental. Visitors often brush against the hall's ceiling to floor decoration that consists of a cascade of five sets of tubular chimes. The loud jangle scares the life out of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...need to go punch in a code to turn the alarm off."

Until recently, we had to use tubular security keys to switch on/off the alarm system. I've installed an eBay-cheap but surprisingly-lovely RFID Panel that is vastly more convenient. It also looks modern, not 1980s.

The RFID Panel is actually intended for access control (door locks), but the output relay contact is also perfect for Arming and Disarming the alarm system. I've added two more status LEDs, very easy.

RFID tags are not super-secure. But probably good enough.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
  4. NanoMeter

There's a Youtube video for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CQA3X-qNgA

5. The Average Joe

Nest is riddled with developers that are complete idiots

well, you have to be a raging moron to require IPv6 to register your nest thermostat. After that you can turn it off. How many furnace guys are going to know how to enable or disable IPv6??? I see a TON of hacked networks thanks to Nest!

Too bad we could not ban those developers and designers from ever touching any IOT device ever again...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More shit to go wrong and be supported

Manual lock 1.0: A bit of graphite, very occasionally.

Uberlock 2.4.54: Hardware and software updates, electricity/batteries, wifi router, internet connection...

Hmmmm

1. Aitor 1

Re: More shit to go wrong and be supported

Worse than that.. if heat/cold makes the bars go with plenty of friction the motor than moves them might not be strong enough --> stuck out.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Then there's users who have configured other IoT tools....

....allowing anyone to shout through the letterbox "Alexa, open the front door".

....and most likely other (more technical) hacks on the IoT infrastructure.

By the way, who (exactly) needs to manage their front door lock from Outer Mongolia?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Then there's users who have configured other IoT tools....

Speak for yourself.

- Genghis

2. Markflett

Re: Then there's users who have configured other IoT tools....

Airbnb owners - dog walker and cleaner access to name just a few

8. JohnFen

Non-starter

Why is the internet involved with this at all? That seems pointless and introduces a whole host of security problems (including data slurping on the part of the provider). This is what make other Nest products, such as the thermostat, nonstarters for me as well.

1. Markflett
      Happy

Re: Non-starter

fortunately you're not forced to buy one

9. Mage Silver badge

Secure

Nest & Yale think they can do this securely?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/25/hotel_room_key_security_flaw/

10. Markflett

Designed for flexibility not Fort Knox security - lets keep some perspective please

A lock ONLY keeps out an honest person, can't see why we're getting hung up on levels, or strength of security. What's more many of you Americans keep a loaded shotgun by the bed anyway, don't you? ;-) - Anyway, bad guys will simply break a window - Where I feel this device will bring value is when running an AirBnB type operation like me, or need to provide audited access to others to enter your house such as cleaners or dog walkers. Now I don't actually have to be there to give, or receive a normal key to our self contained accommodation - now that's flexibility. The rest of you would be best advised to stick with your standard keys along with any downsides that brings.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon