back to article That was fast... unlike old iPhones: Apple sued for slowing down mobes

One day after Apple acknowledged that it has been downclocking the CPUs in older iPhones to prevent sudden shutdowns from battery exhaustion, the first lawsuit has arrived. Filed in the Northern District of the State of Illinois on Thursday, the complaint aspires to become a class action for the supposedly thousands of …

Page:

1. pop_corn

My iPhone 5S runs just fine...

... because I'm still running iOS v9. Yes it's annoying to have to dismiss the weekly "Do you want to upgrade?" and "Are you sure you don't?" (paraphrasing) messages, but by not upgrading the iOS I've skipped this very predictable problem entirely.

Sadly I wasn't so clever with my iPad which despite being blisteringly fast when I first got it, now struggles to notice that I'm even typing, forcing me to wait every 3rd word for it to catch up.

I realise that from a security point of view, not upgrading to the latest iOS is not ideal, but I don't do any internet banking on my phone so the risk is minimal.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

Seriously? Mr. Cook never learn anything under Job's reign. That he actually gave away this piece of information surprised the hell out of me. Doesn't he knows the population of the USA are happy to sue at a drop of a hat? Never, never admit to anything!! MS have been getting away with it forever. The population in general and the lawyers that serve them are looking for a whole in the Corps armor to make money. Lets be real here. People buys Apple's phone for the sparkle, not for their quality. IF they wanted quality and true function they would be buying anything else but Apple. The way I see it the quality of other phones, including usability, by far surpasses Apple's phones. I have had both Apple and Android. My Android still ticking and does more than my old Iphone 4 (which is now obsolete). I bought an Apple Iphone years ago so like that I had the experience what is like to have one. I was not impressed. I want a pocket computer that goes the distance. My Samsung S5 has done that and more. Mr. Cook people that buy your stuff want fantasy not reality. So when you break their nice psychological bubble of delusion they will sue your head off. They think a huge high price on something actually means quality and performance. Who would it "thunk" about it? For me, 1 Iphone experience was enough. If I want sparkle I just go walk by the seashore.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple explanation released...

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

So I think we can all just calm down now folks.

4. chivo243 Silver badge

Late to the party

Tail between their legs? At least it seems so for Apple - Slashed battery replacement prices? I'm shocked, really!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-batteries/apple-apologizes-after-outcry-over-slowed-iphones-idUSKBN1EM20N?feedType=RSS&feedName=newsOne

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

1. Charles 9

Re: Late to the party

Sounds like they're trying to dodge a suit where they could be compelled by the court to replace ALL batteries on their dime.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I will say this again.

Tim Cook is a horrible CEO. Steve Jobs was a visionary.

People who inherit a legacy are usually disappointing compared to the ones who created that legacy.

6. HKmk23

The probable answer is

As the typical fanboy is technically challenged anyway, they decided to slow their phones so as the fanboys get older they can keep up with the tech!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like